or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cigars - Page 650

post #9736 of 9827
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartagasIV View Post

Shitty picture, but good Lord what a cigar. '80's Lancero from yellow cello.

13102707574_b7f1ec8307_z.jpg
 
dayummmm!!!
post #9737 of 9827

I've been reading suggestions on smoking cigars at 65% instead of 70% and dry boxing. I'd like to hear the thoughts of the other members on it, what do you do, have you tried it? I have a xicar travel humi that would be perfect for dry boxing.

post #9738 of 9827
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilWagon View Post
 

I've been reading suggestions on smoking cigars at 65% instead of 70% and dry boxing. I'd like to hear the thoughts of the other members on it, what do you do, have you tried it? I have a xicar travel humi that would be perfect for dry boxing.

 

i'd store them at 65 at the highest. i personally keep mine closer to 60% rh.

post #9739 of 9827
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilWagon View Post

I'd like to hear the thoughts of the other members on it

I generally store/age at 60%, and smoke 60-65% tops.
post #9740 of 9827

Hmm, so what do you two use to keep them humidified at that range? The issue came up because of this long dry winter my humidor is struggling to get much above 60 and I haven't been smoking any as a result (The substantially sub-zero weather is the other 90% of the cause).

post #9741 of 9827
I have an active system in my Aristocrat, but in desktops and coolers use beads. Beads are idiotproof. You can use certain types of kitty litter for less but I haven't ever really bothered. The cost savings aren't worth the hassle to me, and I fucking hate cats.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/categories.asp?cat=Humidity+Beads
post #9742 of 9827
I use beads you can get some in various rh percentages here:

http://www.cigarsciences.com/
post #9743 of 9827
Or heartfelt... They are good as well.
post #9744 of 9827
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenahan View Post


That's not true. A good humidor does 2 things--it stores your cigar at the property humidity, and allows them to age. With a Tupperware box and humidification device, you can store your cigars. However, they will not age much, and the flavour of a cigar is effected by its environment. Cigar aging is effectively a slow decomposition wherein the oils of the tobacco break through the layers of tobbaco and the flavour of the tobaccoes marry. Cigars stored next to each other will effect each other. With a cedar box, storage will add a subtle dry spice. Tupperware will effect the cigars. Also, I cannot tell you how many times when I worked retail that someone brought in a cheap humidor and ruined their cigars. I use a Davidoff humidor, and the reason is that it is not cedar lined. Davidoff uses a hardwood (okoume) and a propietary 2-way device. It requires no seasoning; only add water maybe once every 2 month. Elie Bleu, Daniel Marshall, make fantastic boxes. But no matter how well made, if you do not season a cedar box, it will be a problem.

 

I stored and store cigars in every possible device: humidors, tupperdors, porcelain jars, glass jars, large aluminium boxes, large plastic boxes (european equivalent to coolerdors), sheet metal cabinets. And they aged in each and every device. The three things which really make a difference are: humidity, temperature and airflow. Higher humidity - faster aging, higher temperature - faster aging, higher airflow - faster aging. It might seem like the amount of cigars stored together makes a difference, in example a 50ct cabinet, which ages slower and better than a 25ct SBN. But in the end, it comes down to the airflow, which is a tiny bit lower in the cabinet than in the dressbox. I remember a very detailed discussion about that, ages ago in ICC.

 

I don't want to be anal about that topic, but in the end, the container is almost irrelevant. See, I store several hundreds of boxes in sheet metal cabinets in my cellar. The temperature is relativly low, they are not humified and the airflow is next to nothing, because it put the boxes into Ziplocks or shrink-wrap them. Some boxes are since 1997 in my possession and I started ziplocking them in 2005 or 2006. They age, they still get better and they smoke beautiful after storing them for a few weeks at 65-70 % relative humidity. Just my experience...

 

PS: The hardwood of the Davidoff is superior, because it doesn't take on aunpleasant odor which might occur when storing cigars too wet


Edited by Turner - 3/20/14 at 2:06am
post #9745 of 9827
^this guy is a connoisseur

I set my cabinet to 63-64 in the treacherous socal winter and drop it down to 62 in the summer since warmer temps hold more humidity.
post #9746 of 9827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusse View Post

(Relatively) long time lurker on this forum, especially the cigar section.

I'm curious as to what you guys have in the way of humidors. I currently have a small 10 count desktop humi that I was gifted by a friend but am looking at getting something more substantial. What would you recommend?

I love the look of some Elie Bleu and Davidoff humis - are they worth the investment in your opinion?

Thanks,

T

 

Imagine how much cigars you are going to store in a year.  Then multiply by 3.  That's the size of you humidor you need.  

post #9747 of 9827
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

^this guy is a connoisseur

I set my cabinet to 63-64 in the treacherous socal winter and drop it down to 62 in the summer since warmer temps hold more humidity.

 

I don't know that much about cigars, I just smoke them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonggoy View Post
 

 

Imagine how much cigars you are going to store in a year.  Then multiply by 3.  That's the size of you humidor you need.  

That's a practically oriented approach.

post #9748 of 9827
On the subject of humidors, I bought my first one in December which is a small 20 count capacity. I had left some sticks in there with a Drymistat tube and was scratching my head as to why it was at below 50%! D'oh! Anyway I eventually realising I was supposed to have seasoned the humidor before adding the sticks I've been finding the % dropping to under the recommended 65-70%. I have been constaintly trying to re-season with wiping the thing down with distilled water, must of done it about 3 times, each week for the past 3 weeks, I reckon it's the dryness of these harsh NY winters plus the result of a cheap humidor. There has been better constant humidity in the ziploc I placed the sticks in temporarily whilst I was seasoning the box.
I am trying with the sticks back in there now, if all else fails it'll be back to the ziploc baggie or maybe investing in a bigger/better humidor
post #9749 of 9827
Some interesting view re humidification!

Had a Cohiba Maduro 5 Secretos last night with a bunch of whisky sodas. It was my first maduro and can't say I was particularly fond of it. I found it overly sweet with a bit too much of a 'bonfire' taste for my liking.

T
post #9750 of 9827
If you pay close attention, the davidoff humidor's interior is sealed, so the wood has no effect on the cigars. They are likely using okoume because it is dimensionally stable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home