or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cigars - Page 5

post #61 of 9969
Price and quality of cigars are not positively correlated...particularly with non Cubans, where I've often enjoyed $6-10 cigars from CAO and Tatuaje more than an Opus X or VSG. Hell, I'd probably take a $7 cuban Mille Fleur from Partagas or RyJ over any non-Cuban. As mentioned above smoking is a very personal experience and will vary from smoker to smoker. For some, there is a psychological aspect that paying a premium for an exclusive product brings more enjoyment to them. Nothing wrong with that, just do you....
post #62 of 9969
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
The construction problem, as I understand it, is that after the Soviets left Cuba, there was not much money and they needed to make more, and fast. because of this they cut back on the fermentation time the tobacco got and started rolling cigars with tobacco that was slightly too wet. Wet cigars plug easily. Also, a lot of new rollers were put to work, so quality suffered.

Contrary to common belief, the factorys each roll many different cigar shapes and brands. The old Partagas factory rolls a million different things, as do all of the others. Because of this, you can't say one brand is more consistent than the others. Some say Cohiba and Trinidad are better because they are double fermented, but I have had a lot of plugs from both.

Nowadays, you should just be careful of long thin cigars. They are hard to roll, and very hand to roll in a way that allows for a good draw. It is a shame, because my favorites are all long and thin . With petit coronas and up, you should be OK. Quality is better now than it was five or six years ago. Just remember that there is no reason to smoke a big cigar, unless you have a big chunk of time.

Cubans are coming back. While they arent up to the quality of the pre-boom cigars, 2006 was a fantastic year. I havent had a plugged cigar in a while.
post #63 of 9969
Went to Le Connaisseur cigar bar last night and, following Matt's recommendation of Sancho Panza, had a Bellicosos that I paired with a Cragganmore 12. The bar has the perfect atmosphere, and the combination of cigar and Scotch was really delightful. The Bellicosos is a good, long smoke. I can see becoming a regular at this bar.

I also got myself an inexpensive cutter and jet lighter along with a Montecristo #4 and a Punch Punch, since it seems that they're classics that would serve as a good benchmark of different cigar characters. I can sample them at my leisure this weekend.
post #64 of 9969
Nantucket if you liked that Belicoso, may I suggest to you the Vegas Robaina Unico as another excellent smoke. I think VR is a highly underrated Cuban brand...the robusto size, Famoso, is another staple smoke you may want to consider for a shorter smoke.
post #65 of 9969
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
So what lovely accessories do you cigar smokers own?

Anyone use a cigar holder?


Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
Remarkably simple tastes, I think, or good restraint--I smoke cigarettes maybe twice or thrice a week, and have spent lots of money on cases, lighters and a filtered holder. I'd like a bamboo and solid gold holder though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
Yes, I have this acquisitive desire to accessorize whatever habits I have.

I'd expect Tokyo to have a grand collection of vintage lighters in precious metals, and maybe other things like cases, holders, etc. I wonder if they have some of the Dunhill by Namiki smoking stuff.

In fact, I think given the way you dress, it would be stylish to have something vaguely anachronistic like a holder.

OK, it's official -- you ARE Cruella de Vil!
post #66 of 9969
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
Yes, I have this acquisitive desire to accessorize whatever habits I have.

I'd expect Tokyo to have a grand collection of vintage lighters in precious metals, and maybe other things like cases, holders, etc. I wonder if they have some of the Dunhill by Namiki smoking stuff.

In fact, I think given the way you dress, it would be stylish to have something vaguely anachronistic like a holder.

Just stopped by the Dunhill flagship store in Ginza. They have a special exhibition of Dunhill by Namiki that features more than a dozen exquisite fountain pens. I'll try to get some digital pix later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade to Black View Post
Nantucket if you liked that Belicoso, may I suggest to you the Vegas Robaina Unico as another excellent smoke. I think VR is a highly underrated Cuban brand...the robusto size, Famoso, is another staple smoke you may want to consider for a shorter smoke.

Taking notes . . .

Somehow, the cap on my Montecristo #4 got damaged, so I had to cut that bad boy and smoke it . No wonder it's a classic -- ideal for a short smoke on a sunny Saturday afternoon.
post #67 of 9969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red View Post
Just stopped by the Dunhill flagship store in Ginza. They have a special exhibition of Dunhill by Namiki that features more than a dozen exquisite fountain pens. I'll try to get some digital pix later. Taking notes . . . Somehow, the cap on my Montecristo #4 got damaged, so I had to cut that bad boy and smoke it . No wonder it's a classic -- ideal for a short smoke on a sunny Saturday afternoon.
The new Dunhill in Tokyo--I'm not sure which one--has a section devoted to vintage goods, apparently provided by the London shop, Bentley's. Were the Namikis modern or vintage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eg1 View Post
OK, it's official -- you ARE Cruella de Vil!
I have two relatively modest holders--one is an old French rose gold and mother-of-pearl and the other, a modern filtered plastic one by Denicotea. Not quite Terry Thomas lengths:
post #68 of 9969
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
The new Dunhill in Tokyo--I'm not sure which one--has a section devoted to vintage goods, apparently provided by the London shop, Bentley's.

Were the Namikis modern or vintage?

That's the new flagship store in Ginza. They also have a bar and a cafe.

They were both, including a black Emperor with two gold caprings dated 1931. Namki now offers an identical model.
post #69 of 9969
forget vintage Dunhill accessories - if you can get your hands on vintage Cuban Dunhill cigars - now there's a find! HK businessman/media mogul Peter Lam is arguably one of the city's best cigar connoisseurs, apparently he has boxes upon boxes of vintage Cabinettas, Estupendos, which he still smokes on a regular basis. They are probably even more rare than Cuban Davidoffs...my dad told me about one time a local businessman had to flee the country due to some tight circumstances and left all his cigars at the store. The store manager took his stash of Davidoff Chateau Haut-Brions and were handing them out like candy. Argh too bad I was at school when this happened...
post #70 of 9969
I found a used box of Cuban Dunhills at an estate sale actually. A rather nice sale that was too, lots of high quality goods for cheap.
post #71 of 9969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade to Black View Post
forget vintage Dunhill accessories - if you can get your hands on vintage Cuban Dunhill cigars - now there's a find! HK businessman/media mogul Peter Lam is arguably one of the city's best cigar connoisseurs, apparently he has boxes upon boxes of vintage Cabinettas, Estupendos, which he still smokes on a regular basis.

They are probably even more rare than Cuban Davidoffs...my dad told me about one time a local businessman had to flee the country due to some tight circumstances and left all his cigars at the store. The store manager took his stash of Davidoff Chateau Haut-Brions and were handing them out like candy. Argh too bad I was at school when this happened...

I was checking out the walk-in humidor at Le Connaisseur last night and noticed that they have Dunhill cigars for not outrageous prices. From what I've read , Dunhill discontinued their cigar line because of some disputes. No idea whether they're vintage.
post #72 of 9969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade to Black View Post
forget vintage Dunhill accessories - if you can get your hands on vintage Cuban Dunhill cigars - now there's a find! HK businessman/media mogul Peter Lam is arguably one of the city's best cigar connoisseurs, apparently he has boxes upon boxes of vintage Cabinettas, Estupendos, which he still smokes on a regular basis. They are probably even more rare than Cuban Davidoffs...my dad told me about one time a local businessman had to flee the country due to some tight circumstances and left all his cigars at the store. The store manager took his stash of Davidoff Chateau Haut-Brions and were handing them out like candy. Argh too bad I was at school when this happened...
I feel there's a great difference in quality tobacco--cheap cigarettes and premium cigarettes are very different tastes though some may not be able or care to discern the differences. That said, are certain fine cigars named after fine wines?
post #73 of 9969
Check the names of the Davidoff line.
post #74 of 9969
yes...Davidoff had a huge problem with the French when they had their Chateau line going in the 80s...in the series there was Dom Perignon, Chateau Haut Brion, Chateau D'Yquem, etc...and there were some trademark problems so it was discontinued. If the Dunhill cigars you saw were not of outrageous prices, I'm guessing it's the current line which is made from Nicaraguan tobacco. I wouldn't bother with those they're not that great smokes.
post #75 of 9969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade to Black View Post
yes...Davidoff had a huge problem with the French when they had their Chateau line going in the 80s...in the series there was Dom Perignon, Chateau Haut Brion, Chateau D'Yquem, etc...and there were some trademark problems so it was discontinued. If the Dunhill cigars you saw were not of outrageous prices, I'm guessing it's the current line which is made from Nicaraguan tobacco. I wouldn't bother with those they're not that great smokes.
The Davidoffs were great smokes. Basically Cohiba before Cohiba was available. I think I have a few of the Laguito #2 shape (corona especial) left in my humidor. They have to be 25 years old or so.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home