or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cigars - Page 272

post #4066 of 9911
I don't understand something, how do you buy singles if you're in Europe and judge whether or not they are any good when I presume none of them are aged or is this not the case? CC taste like garbage before 2 years.
post #4067 of 9911
good question. maybe well established stores have 2-3+ year old stock that gets bought 1-2 times a year and stored away.

probably not though. they just buy whatever is selling good and it goes right out the door and leave the aging to the customer.
post #4068 of 9911
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Just bought four boxes of cigars: San Cristobal Oficios, VR Famosos, Bolivar BFs, and Cuaba Divinos. I'm looking for some recommendations for singles to try out before springing for any more boxes to put into long-term storage. Cubans only, even though gnatty will throw a fit. Dpatsil, any recs? I was thinking:

- Partagas short
- RA small club corona & specially selected
- Bolivar corona junior
- San Luis Rey double corona
- San Cristobal mercaderes & el principe
- Trinidad robusto extra (pricey... worth it?)

I know you will inevitably recommend the Partagas SD No. 4, but I don't like them. Nor the MC No. 2. Is there anything off the beaten path that is interesting? There are some brands sold on puroexpress that I've never seen before in a B&M, but I don't know if they're worth testing.

Wow, our periods are in synch b/c all the sticks you mentioned above, I like!!!! I have not tried the Trini Robusto yet so I have no opinion on that one.
post #4069 of 9911
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
I don't understand something, how do you buy singles if you're in Europe and judge whether or not they are any good when I presume none of them are aged or is this not the case? CC taste like garbage before 2 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeuce22 View Post
good question. maybe well established stores have 2-3+ year old stock that gets bought 1-2 times a year and stored away. probably not though. they just buy whatever is selling good and it goes right out the door and leave the aging to the customer.
All the boxes I have bought recently date from 2007/8. The singles stock comes from the same source; I have checked the box codes. Not only that, but I am adamant that you can detect the future potential in -- as well as enjoy -- a young cigar even if it's nowhere near its peak. This myth that Cubans are unsmokeable right out of the box is just that, a myth. Don't know where it comes from, except that I seem to only hear it from Americans who have little to no regular access to Cubans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatsil View Post
Wow, our periods are in synch b/c all the sticks you mentioned above, I like!!!! I have not tried the Trini Robusto yet so I have no opinion on that one.
Awesome news. If you like, I will post my reviews of all of them in a few weeks, though I'm sure you've already sampled the majority. Still, I was wondering if there was anything you'd add to the list. BTW, I know I have nowhere near the cigar experience you do, but if you haven't tried one, the San Cristobal Muralla is the best cigar experience I have ever had. "Ball draining," as you put it. Unfortunately they are about $300 USD a box.
post #4070 of 9911
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
All the boxes I have bought recently date from 2007/8. The singles stock comes from the same source; I have checked the box codes.

Not only that, but I am adamant that you can detect the future potential in -- as well as enjoy -- a young cigar even if it's nowhere near its peak. This myth that Cubans are unsmokeable right out of the box is just that, a myth. Don't know where it comes from, except that I seem to only hear it from Americans who have little to no regular access to Cubans.

LOL
post #4071 of 9911
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
LOL
I don't deny that you can get them; we all know the right websites to order from. Odd, though, that I only ever hear Americans decrying the faults of Cubans.

I have a pet theory, purely my own: in order to make up for the shortfall of domestic supply, you buy Dominicans and Nicaraguans from the local B&M because they're there and it's convenient. This thread provides ample evidence of that. As a result, your palates have become adapted to their flavour profile -- the one you're most used to. Small wonder, then, that what the rest of the world considers the pinnacle of cigar production tastes like "garbage" to you. It's sort of the same way you're more or less incapable of appreciating good beer after being raised on a diet of 3% watered-down, pale lager.

There's also a fair amount of nationalistic sour grapes involved, I'm sure. I mean, no cigar tastes good if it's smoked within 3 months of its boxing date. Yet somehow, according to the legend, only Cubans are unsmokable before 2 years have passed.

Nonsense, clearly.
post #4072 of 9911
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I have a pet theory, purely my own:

Nonsense, clearly.

Indeed.
post #4073 of 9911
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I don't deny that you can get them; we all know the right websites to order from. Odd, though, that I only ever hear Americans decrying the faults of Cubans.

I have a pet theory, purely my own: in order to make up for the shortfall of domestic supply, you buy Dominicans and Nicaraguans from the local B&M because they're there and it's convenient. This thread provides ample evidence of that. As a result, your palates have become adapted to their flavour profile -- the one you're most used to. Small wonder, then, that what the rest of the world considers the pinnacle of cigar production tastes like "garbage" to you. It's sort of the same way you're more or less incapable of appreciating good beer after being raised on a diet of 3% watered-down, pale lager.

There's also a fair amount of nationalistic sour grapes involved, I'm sure. I mean, no cigar tastes good if it's smoked within 3 months of its boxing date. Yet somehow, according to the legend, only Cubans are unsmokable before 2 years have passed.

Nonsense, clearly.

Agreed. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. NC's not benefitting from additional box age makes no sense unless, and I'm not saying this is the case, they are cooking the tobacco. They should benefit from age and I have had very good aged NC's. There are good CC's right off the truck but for my palate, most have a tannic taste that does not agree with me. This happened the other day when I cracked a box of PSD4 from LSO Feb08. The blend was right but they were just harsh in that young way that D4's can be like. In one year or even less, they are going to be off the hook. I have a couple of boxes of '01 La Punta's that were great a few years back. They have faded to nothing. I'm afraid they have simply expired. I should have smoked them when they were really tasty but I stupidly thought they will just continue to improve. When they taste great, hit the box hard because they may not get better or even stay the same.
post #4074 of 9911
I don't want to break up the argument but I will say that since 2006, Habanos have been much more approachable young. Theories abound online whether it's curing, blending, cooking or all of the above, but they are smoking pretty well for the youth. BTW, I am smoking a robusto-sized Tat Reserva--actually pretty decent. Have you guys tried these? Holymadness, as to your choices: -Trinidad Robusto T is a very good smoke. I picked up two boxes of the first month's production. Better than the robo extra, although I have limited experience with that. -Party shorts are good--but I like them with a few years, they seem one-dimensional to me until then. Just started smoking my 06 cab. For similar money, I love the Partagas PC Especiale, and boxes of '99 Partagas Tres Petit Coronas are still available. They are dope. -RA SSC's are excellent. 07 boxes are still around. I know a guy that picked up about 10 boxes he likes them so much -Bolivar CJ's are one of my staples, and the second box of Habanos I ever bought. Tons of complexity and strength for the size. Tastes like a mini CE or CG. -SLR DC's are great, but it's hard to commit to a cab. I have not yet. SLR Serie A (08's) are great as well--very leathery, some sweetness, very balanced smokes. Don't like the Regios as much. -El principes are nice, but I have limited experience with SC's. Have a box of La Puntas and La Fuerzas that don't do much for me, even as the first cigars of the day. Oficios are great. Off the beaten path--tons of good stuff. If you hate the Monte #2, pick up some Especiales or Esp. #2's. It's like a distilled Monte in a thin ring gauge. Partagas Serie du Conn. are excellent although discontinued. My fav is the #2. All are thin RG as well. Pick up a couple Punch PC del Punch, Partagas 898's...08 Upmann Mag46 as well as 08 Upmann Conn. #1's are excellent. And the Bolivar CE is probably my favorite cigar, hands down. Discontinued in 50 cab but still around in DB of 25. 08 Partagas Lusi's are also good. I just rambled my tits off, have a good weekend fellow smokers.
post #4075 of 9911
Smoked the benji menendez partagas and a ryj short churchill, such beautiful weather.
post #4076 of 9911
This thread omits the very fresh window -- but it's very difficult to get cigars from the roller's table ... unless you've visited Cueto, Jorge, Mons, Santos and others on La Isla ... In all seriousness, I've had plenty of young Habanos (within that "2 year" period) that were fantastic, and from periods in which I do not believe there was any tobacco cooking.
post #4077 of 9911
Enjoyed a '98 Hoyo du Prince today, with a traditional Aviation (made with a bottle of Creme Yvette that I just picked up). Excellent.
post #4078 of 9911
had a patel brothers robusto tonight on a patio at a bar since MI is now smoke free. excellent cigar. should be a must try on everyones list.
post #4079 of 9911
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
Indeed.
I don't claim to be the expert, but the gallery seems to be disagreeing with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatsil View Post
Agreed. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. NC's not benefitting from additional box age makes no sense unless, and I'm not saying this is the case, they are cooking the tobacco. They should benefit from age and I have had very good aged NC's. There are good CC's right off the truck but for my palate, most have a tannic taste that does not agree with me. This happened the other day when I cracked a box of PSD4 from LSO Feb08. The blend was right but they were just harsh in that young way that D4's can be like. In one year or even less, they are going to be off the hook. I have a couple of boxes of '01 La Punta's that were great a few years back. They have faded to nothing. I'm afraid they have simply expired. I should have smoked them when they were really tasty but I stupidly thought they will just continue to improve. When they taste great, hit the box hard because they may not get better or even stay the same.
What do you think, then, when you hear of "amazing" pre-embargo or even pre-war cigars? Are they bound to be lifeless duds, or are people really paying enormous sums for something worthwhile? What is the average shelf life of a box of cigars, in your opinion?


Quote:
Originally Posted by PartagasIV View Post
I don't want to break up the argument but I will say that since 2006, Habanos have been much more approachable young. Theories abound online whether it's curing, blending, cooking or all of the above, but they are smoking pretty well for the youth. BTW, I am smoking a robusto-sized Tat Reserva--actually pretty decent. Have you guys tried these?

Holymadness, as to your choices:
-Trinidad Robusto T is a very good smoke. I picked up two boxes of the first month's production. Better than the robo extra, although I have limited experience with that.
-Party shorts are good--but I like them with a few years, they seem one-dimensional to me until then. Just started smoking my 06 cab. For similar money, I love the Partagas PC Especiale, and boxes of '99 Partagas Tres Petit Coronas are still available. They are dope.
-RA SSC's are excellent. 07 boxes are still around. I know a guy that picked up about 10 boxes he likes them so much
-Bolivar CJ's are one of my staples, and the second box of Habanos I ever bought. Tons of complexity and strength for the size. Tastes like a mini CE or CG.
-SLR DC's are great, but it's hard to commit to a cab. I have not yet. SLR Serie A (08's) are great as well--very leathery, some sweetness, very balanced smokes. Don't like the Regios as much.
-El principes are nice, but I have limited experience with SC's. Have a box of La Puntas and La Fuerzas that don't do much for me, even as the first cigars of the day. Oficios are great.

Off the beaten path--tons of good stuff. If you hate the Monte #2, pick up some Especiales or Esp. #2's. It's like a distilled Monte in a thin ring gauge. Partagas Serie du Conn. are excellent although discontinued. My fav is the #2. All are thin RG as well. Pick up a couple Punch PC del Punch, Partagas 898's...08 Upmann Mag46 as well as 08 Upmann Conn. #1's are excellent. And the Bolivar CE is probably my favorite cigar, hands down. Discontinued in 50 cab but still around in DB of 25. 08 Partagas Lusi's are also good.

I just rambled my tits off, have a good weekend fellow smokers.
Exactly the feedback I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to type this out, and I will add a few more cigars to my list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girardian View Post
This thread omits the very fresh window -- but it's very difficult to get cigars from the roller's table ... unless you've visited Cueto, Jorge, Mons, Santos and others on La Isla ... In all seriousness, I've had plenty of young Habanos (within that "2 year" period) that were fantastic, and from periods in which I do not believe there was any tobacco cooking.
Unfortunately, this has yet to happen. One day!
post #4080 of 9911
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I don't claim to be the expert, but the gallery seems to be disagreeing with you.

Ah but you were trying to come off like one, go back and read what dp wrote and you'll understand (or maybe not due to your selective memory). Not going to address any of your silly points due to their comedic nature.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home