or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Drake Knit Ties
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Drake Knit Ties

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Gents, I picked up a Drake knit at Barney's a couple of weeks ago, and wore it for the first time today.

Holy crap is it long. I am 6'4" and this tie was a good 3" at least too long for me, when tied so that the front and back blades are of equal length. I had no choice but to do the waistband tuck.

I have never owned a tie this long, or even close.

Anyone else have this problem?
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Gents, I picked up a Drake knit at Barney's a couple of weeks ago, and wore it for the first time today.

Holy crap is it long. I am 6'4" and this tie was a good 3" at least too long for me, when tied so that the front and back blades are of equal length. I had no choice but to do the waistband tuck.

I have never owned a tie this long, or even close.

Anyone else have this problem?

I'm 5'10" with long legs and a short torso who ties four in hands around a 15.75/40 neck, and none of the Drake's knit ties hang below my belt when tied.

I just measured one...57", so stock length. Nothing unusual.

My Drake's are also from Barneys.

- B
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
Mine is so long that my 60" tape measure cannot measure it. I would estimate that it is 63" or 64".

Is this deliberate? Did the knitter just zone out and knit on auto pilot for while? Or was this tie made for the real Lurch?
post #4 of 19
I think this is a "cut your own length" tie. Do you have a good pair of scissors? Alternatively. a sharp butter knife will do
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Mine is so long that my 60" tape measure cannot measure it. I would estimate that it is 63" or 64".

Is this deliberate? Did the knitter just zone out and knit on auto pilot for while? Or was this tie made for the real Lurch?

Dang. Who made yours, Long Duk Dong?

Mine are all 57" 58" ish...just checked them all.

Is it possible that they are sized?

- B
post #6 of 19
Do Drake's come in extra-extra long? That might explain Boris Johnson: Seriously: how does one make it through Eton and Oxford without learning how to tie a tie (or what one's jacket size is)? [/hijack]
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Mine is so long that my 60" tape measure cannot measure it. I would estimate that it is 63" or 64".

Is this deliberate? Did the knitter just zone out and knit on auto pilot for while? Or was this tie made for the real Lurch?

Is the Drake's made from woven metal? It can affect the length, or so I am told.

- B
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
I have never owned a tie this long, or even close.

Anyone else have this problem?

Most new Hermes ties are at least 61-63" long. I'm 6'2" and they look ridiculous on me.
post #9 of 19
Manton, Silk knits are notorius for 'growing' if hung up or or pulled (stretched). I have no idea why anyone would ???? My suggestion would be to exchange for a another tie (of the same color) because clearly the length is incorrect.

Cheers,
Roger
post #10 of 19
I just measured two of my Drakes ties ordered from them this March. Knit tie is 56 inches, and the woven tie is 59 inches, pointy-end to pointy-end.

--Andre
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmusic View Post
Most new Hermes ties are at least 61-63" long. .


Good to know. I'm not a full-time fan, but I do prefer 61" ties.
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordia View Post
Good to know. I'm not a full-time fan, but I do prefer 61" ties.
Yeah, I took my three favorite super-long Hermes ties (the ones you wouldn't guess were Hermes)and had about five inches cut off each one. I got rid of the rest. Before that I couldn't wear them without fear of ridicule. Tucking never worked for me. Even my most non-sartorially inclined acquaintances would comment...
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Mine is so long that my 60" tape measure cannot measure it. I would estimate that it is 63" or 64".

Is this deliberate? Did the knitter just zone out and knit on auto pilot for while? Or was this tie made for the real Lurch?

One word: Tiecrafters.
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Gents, I picked up a Drake knit at Barney's a couple of weeks ago, and wore it for the first time today. Holy crap is it long. I am 6'4" and this tie was a good 3" at least too long for me, when tied so that the front and back blades are of equal length. I had no choice but to do the waistband tuck. I have never owned a tie this long, or even close. Anyone else have this problem?
PHEW! I thought it was just me (though I am only 5'7").. I was actually going to donate my navy with white "pearl" pattern to Manton.. Let me know if you are interested. FYI - just measured, 61"
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by el Guapo WOngO! View Post
PHEW! I thought it was just me (though I am only 5'7")..

I was actually going to donate my navy with white "pearl" pattern to Manton..

Let me know if you are interested.

FYI - just measured, 61"


I ordered this knit (navy with white dots) from their webshop a couple of weeks ago. It is not very long at all. Also, it had no loop at all on the back, so I am returning it for them to fix it.

Now I notice also that you seem to get the white dots on the knot as well, my knot is without dots (they start just beneath when tied to an appropriate length). Is this "normal"?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Drake Knit Ties