or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Buzz Words that are annoying
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buzz Words that are annoying - Page 5

post #61 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
One of the advertising agencies I used to work at insisted on putting these kinds of thigs in their presentations. I always felt it was a sign of someone who doesn't know what he's talking about - if you can't convince them, confuse them. Endless charts that mean nothing are another.

Some of my favourites:
360
Brand Activation
Holistic Approach
Web 2.0 (even a simple microsite was "Web 2.0")
Through The Line

This is fun:
http://www.dack.com/web/bullshit.html

disintermediate dynamic initiatives!!!!
post #62 of 348
Oenophile; I've never met one who wasn't an alcoholic (not that there's anything wrong with that); can't we just call them classy boozers?
post #63 of 348
i have no problem with 'holistic approach' unless someone has an easier way of expressing the same concept.
post #64 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta View Post
i have no problem with 'holistic approach' unless someone has an easier way of expressing the same concept.

What do you mean by it though, people usually want to say a systemic approach should be used and that's slightly different...
post #65 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
One of the advertising agencies I used to work at insisted on putting these kinds of thigs in their presentations. I always felt it was a sign of someone who doesn't know what he's talking about - if you can't convince them, confuse them. Endless charts that mean nothing are another.

Some of my favourites:
360
Brand Activation
Holistic Approach
Web 2.0 (even a simple microsite was "Web 2.0")
Through The Line

This is fun:
http://www.dack.com/web/bullshit.html

Welcome to Ogilvy, can I take your order please?
post #66 of 348
anything off of Napoleon Dynamite is fucking annoying.
post #67 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
Oenophile; I've never met one who wasn't an alcoholic (not that there's anything wrong with that); can't we just call them classy boozers?
Fuuma...Huntsman. Huntsman...Fuuma. That's settled, then. ~ Huntsman
post #68 of 348
Employee Empowerment
Associates (instead of employees)
Going Green
post #69 of 348
Affordable luxury.
Faux.
post #70 of 348
I absolutely despise the word "kudos". Also, I had a run-in with the whole no "to be" verbs... In fact, my whole freshman year of high school you would get an F for any paper with "am, is, are, was, were, be, been, being" in it. I think it had something to do with Strunk and White's Elements of Style, as it was issued for us to use for all four years.
post #71 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkennett View Post
Also, I had a run-in with the whole no "to be" verbs... In fact, my whole freshman year of high school you would get an F for any paper with "am, is, are, was, were, be, been, being" in it. I think it had something to do with Strunk and White's Elements of Style, as it was issued for us to use for all four years.

Can someone clarify this rule for me as I'm not sure I understand?
post #72 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by appolyon View Post
Can someone clarify this rule for me as I'm not sure I understand?

Clarification of this rule would allow for easier understanding?
post #73 of 348
May not allow for easier understanding but it allows for understanding nevertheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter View Post
Clarification of this rule would allow for easier understanding?
post #74 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by appolyon View Post
Can someone clarify this rule for me as I'm not sure I understand?
I believe the purpose is to eliminate any "passive" style from your writing... Eliminating "to be" verbs supposedly does that. Google yielded this: Passive: The advertisement was produced by the marketing firm. Active: The marketing firm produced the advertisement. http://www.jjuriaan.com/Stylistic_Writing.htm http://www.trans4mind.com/personal_d...KensEPrime.htm I don't really agree with most of the stuff on that second link. Really, I think it's just an exercise to force students to stretch their active verb vocabulary.
post #75 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkennett View Post
I believe the purpose is to eliminate any "passive" style from your writing... Eliminating "to be" verbs supposedly does that. Google yielded this:
Passive: The advertisement was produced by the marketing firm.
Active: The marketing firm produced the advertisement.
http://www.jjuriaan.com/Stylistic_Writing.htm
http://www.trans4mind.com/personal_d...KensEPrime.htm

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter View Post
Clarification of this rule would allow for easier understanding?

Now I get it!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Buzz Words that are annoying