or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Buzz Words that are annoying
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buzz Words that are annoying - Page 9

post #121 of 348
Lots of this stuff dates to the dotcom years. Check out The Bullshit Generator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater View Post

I use "to wit" in legal writing all the time, but never in any other kind of writing.

Why do you do that? Do you think that using archaic, stilted language somehow establishes your legitimacy as an attorney?
post #122 of 348
Metrics.
post #123 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelF View Post

Why do you do that? Do you think that using archaic, stilted language somehow establishes your legitimacy as an attorney?

Do you think this question somehow establishes your legitimacy as an internet tough-guy?
post #124 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
"Solutions" when what is really meant is "stuff we are selling."

It really means: a homogeneous, molecular mixture of two or more substances.

My fav. is widely used by TV-ancors and commentators: "Positive progress."
post #125 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelF View Post
Lots of this stuff dates to the dotcom years. Check out The Bullshit Generator.
This is great. The dot com was always about making shit up. People could make money just writing programs to open other programs. Companies would make up words but in the end, none of them survived. Names like Xoom.
post #126 of 348
for the forum: artisan

for GW: homeland
post #127 of 348
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelF View Post
Why do you do that? Do you think that using archaic, stilted language somehow establishes your legitimacy as an attorney?

I do it because, sometimes, there is just no better way to say things, and I know that a judge will understand what I mean. For example, from a brief I wrote recently: "these recent violations are simply the latest in a long list of violations, to wit,[lists the rest of the violations]..."

My legitimacy as an attorney is established by a piece of paper that I carry in my briefcase. It basically says that the Supreme Court of my state considers me an attorney. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Another annoying buzzword, if it hasn't been mentioned already, "the post 9-11 world"
post #128 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renault78law View Post
for GW: homeland

This is a good one, and ironic coming from a globalist like GW.
post #129 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater View Post
I do it because, sometimes, there is just no better way to say things, and I know that a judge will understand what I mean. For example, from a brief I wrote recently: "these recent violations are simply the latest in a long list of violations, to wit,[lists the rest of the violations]..."

My legitimacy as an attorney is established by a piece of paper that I carry in my briefcase. It basically says that the Supreme Court of my state considers me an attorney. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Another annoying buzzword, if it hasn't been mentioned already, "the post 9-11 world"

Use "for example," "including"or in some limited circumstances, "i.e." "To wit" sounds like a young attorney trying too hard.

And why do you carry around a piece of paper in your briefcase? Don't you have an office?
post #130 of 348
Low-hanging fruit.
post #131 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Low-hanging fruit.

Is that hou you designate uglies at the bar?
post #132 of 348
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hplindley View Post
Use "for example," "including"or in some limited circumstances, "i.e." "To wit" sounds like a young attorney trying too hard.

And why do you carry around a piece of paper in your briefcase? Don't you have an office?

"For example" doesn't fit because I listed all of the violations. "Including" doesn't fit because it doesn't tell the Judge that I'm listing all of the examples. I.e. is no good because it wasn't a paranthetical, and it shouldn't be used in formal writing outside of a paranthetical.

Next.
post #133 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater View Post
"For example" doesn't fit because I listed all of the violations. "Including" doesn't fit because it doesn't tell the Judge that I'm listing all of the examples. I.e. is no good because it wasn't a paranthetical, and it shouldn't be used in formal writing outside of a paranthetical.

Next.

I hope both of you realize that you just turned the use of "˜to wit' into a battle of wits...

Jon.
post #134 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater View Post
"For example" doesn't fit because I listed all of the violations. "Including" doesn't fit because it doesn't tell the Judge that I'm listing all of the examples. I.e. is no good because it wasn't a paranthetical, and it shouldn't be used in formal writing outside of a paranthetical.

Next.

"that is"
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
I hope both of you realize that you just turned the use of ‘to wit’ into a battle of wits…


Jon.
post #135 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post
"that is"


Jon.

Don't sign my name.

Jon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Buzz Words that are annoying