or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Buzz Words that are annoying
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buzz Words that are annoying - Page 8

post #106 of 348
Thread Starter 
Another that's kind of annoying: "Presidential"

Also, Bush's overuse of the word "resilient" in various forms is annoying.

I use "to wit" in legal writing all the time, but never in any other kind of writing.
post #107 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater View Post
I use "to wit" in legal writing all the time, but never in any other kind of writing.

It's style choice, I just don't care for it. To me, it's in the same league as using "said" when referring to a prior fact, event, etc. I can't stand "said" either. I think legal writers should strive for plain usage.
post #108 of 348
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I think legal writers should strive for plain usage.

To me it depends on the audience. There are some things in legal writing that I find very annoying that I try never to use. For example, the word "same" as in "I reviewed the letter and responded to same." I hate that shit. I also hate when people use the word "as" in this context: "I did not go to the store today as I was running late."
post #109 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
Multicultural, diversity or any variation of that concept. This is especially tedious when it's associated with sub-par events that has mediocre inauthentic "ethnic" food, especially those held on the streets.
"Minority" Pride.

I've finally found my long lost brother. welcome to the fold.

and in that vein....the term "______-American"

also, anything referring to "being green, going green, eco-friendly" etc
post #110 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
+1, awful.

+2

My Intro to management professor kept on using the term as if it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Jon.
post #111 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart View Post
I've finally found my long lost brother. welcome to the fold. and in that vein....the term "______-American" also, anything referring to "being green, going green, eco-friendly" etc
Oh yeah, these just went without saying by now I thought. Keep in sync with current trends would you?
post #112 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
disintermediate dynamic initiatives!!!!

Nice! Let me know if you manage to squeeze that one into a meeting this week.
post #113 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T View Post
Welcome to Ogilvy, can I take your order please?

They are more guilty of buzz-speak than most. Do you work for O&M?
post #114 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecollector View Post
Oh yeah, these just went without saying by now I thought. Keep in sync with current trends would you?

I'm out of step. With the world. Can't keep up. Can't keep up.
post #115 of 348
I don't know if it's just in my industry, or in corporate America in general, but I hate the use of the word "soonest" when what is really meant is "as soon as possible." Here are examples that I come across all the time:

"Will review and respond to your message soonest."

"We need to get this over to the client soonest."
post #116 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by spertia View Post
I don't know if it's just in my industry, or in corporate America in general, but I hate the use of the word "soonest" when what is really meant is "as soon as possible." Here are examples that I come across all the time:

"Will review and respond to your message soonest."

"We need to get this over to the client soonest."

This is why I use the term: post-haste.

Jon.
post #117 of 348
Drill-down
Metrics
Incentivize
Synergy

As in, "We need to drill down to find the untapped synergies in this merger and establish metrics to incentivize enhanced performance."

If you get a chance, check out my favorite book on this subject...

post #118 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by spertia View Post
I don't know if it's just in my industry, or in corporate America in general, but I hate the use of the word "soonest" when what is really meant is "as soon as possible."

I first came across this in government. I think it started in the military.
post #119 of 348
Engage. As in I'll engage you later on this topic.
Action Item. As in, will you own this action item?

Mrs. T brought these two home with her, and I still cannot get her to cease. Not even when I ask her to make an action item to engage in some sort of mounting behavior this evening.
post #120 of 348
Nwot
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Buzz Words that are annoying