• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what is your definition of success?

mr.loverman

Reaction score
i feel like the word is thrown around a lot but i think it can mean vastly different things for different people.

here is a little list of things i think are integral to success:

being healthy, in shape, getting exercise, eating good food, and feeling good about the way you are. basically your basic lifetsyle/habits should empower rather than inhibit you.

having a wealth of fun positive relationships with people you enjoy.

being part of a peer group that is comprised of people who challenge and stimulate you and whom you respect and can learn from.

working hard at something that inspires you or that you are passionate about or at least working hard at a trade or skill that you enjoy and that brings you some $.

do you guys have your own recipes for success???

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what is this gr 9 or something. lol sorry its just the kind of discussion that would always come up in some random highschool class.

c3cubed

Reaction score
Strange - it double posted. I think the forum was updating or upgrading this instant.

c3cubed

Reaction score
If you can say that you've spent most of your working life doing something that you enjoy to the point that it's a hobby - in that respect, you are not actually working. You are being extremely well remunerated for something that in fact, you would do for free.

Being able to pay for anything without looking at how much it costs, and enjoying the privilege of spontenaiety in saying to your lady - "let's take off for Angkor Wat, right this instant, just for fun" .... And she loves you all the more for it because you actually do it. First Class.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When your circumstance is satisfying to you.

For some this could mean billions, to others it could mean being homeless.

For me, this is retiring early to an old drafty house somewhere were it rains constantly. I want a study with jasmine growing in it. I'll wear slippers, pajama pants, and a smoking jacket every day. Maybe I will work a loyal dog and fireplace in.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not being ashamed of myself. To wake up each day with anticipation.

Corinthian

Reaction score
A wise person once told me that of the three most important things in life - love, friendship and career* - you only have the time/energy to maintain two. The ballance will change throughout your life but generally one of the three will be less than satisfactory.

I was sceptical at first but since then I have noticed that I am usually lacking in one area. Currently I have a wonderful relationship in my wife and am very successful in my career for my age/experience, however my circle of friends has diminished to 3 or 4 close friends. For the moment I am happy with this balance.

* family, of course is also important but, on the most part, it doesn't require the same effort to maintain so it's a given.

Kohan

Reaction score
Do good that will live on after my mortal coil is well and truly shuffled

Live someplace I like, travel frequently, be fondly remembered.

And someday, just once, be the guy who says "Live from New York, it's Saturday Night!"

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Achieving contentment in life.

Conrad

Reaction score
To be secure enough in myself to not have to worry about anything besides the here and now.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Corinthian
A wise person once told me that of the three most important things in life - love, friendship and career* - you only have the time/energy to maintain two. The ballance will change throughout your life but generally one of the three will be less than satisfactory.

I was sceptical at first but since then I have noticed that I am usually lacking in one area. Currently I have a wonderful relationship in my wife and am very successful in my career for my age/experience, however my circle of friends has diminished to 3 or 4 close friends. For the moment I am happy with this balance.

* family, of course is also important but, on the most part, it doesn't require the same effort to maintain so it's a given.

+1, I think that this is very true.

for me, I think success is something that happens in stages - to have achieved certain goals at certain points in your life. to be able to afford reasonable things that you want, to be able to provide your loved ones with things that they want, to enjoy your work and to have a reputation for being good at it, to be surounded by loved ones, not to have to worry about the future.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
to own more shoes than aportnoy.

worship.gif
Great answer.

Success has several dimensions for me, i.e. you can have a successful career but crappy home life (I know many people like that).

For me it is a general feeling of contentment with my home life and having the money to do a reasonable amount of the things I desire to with my family and social circle, while continuing to build my financial independence.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to be able to maintain my career, love life, friend life, family life all together, without one being ignored
This is what truely makes me happy..

On terms of success, its all about having an ideal life

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads