• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shell Cordovan Wallet

sanrensho

Reaction score
Does anyone out there own a shell cordovan wallet? I am wondering if, over time, they develop a nice patina like calfskin wallets do...my Ghurka is 7 years old and has a lot of character. Does shell do the same thing?

Here are some pics of some wallets I saw in a store today. The prices seem pretty reasonable, although the brand is "DaVinci" and I don't know anything about them. Sorry about all the reflections from the glass case.

IMG_1814-vi.jpg

IMG_1815-vi.jpg

IMG_1816-vi.jpg

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out the Brooks Brothers website, they also have shell cordovan accessories, and these are made in Japan. I wonder if the source of the shell cordovan is the Japanese company that process it, and not Horween in Chicago.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd like a shell checkbook wallet, too, but I'm not going to drop that kind of money on something that my wife carries around most of the time. A pity, really.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Check out the Brooks Brothers website, they also have shell cordovan accessories, and these are made in Japan. I wonder if the source of the shell cordovan is the Japanese company that process it, and not Horween in Chicago.

I picked up a BB shell belt and it's not that great - made in some dodgy place like Canada. I'd stick with Alden for shell accessories.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall
I picked up a BB shell belt and it's not that great - made in some dodgy place like Canada. I'd stick with Alden for shell accessories.

The list of non-dodgy places apparently gets smaller every day.

PittDoc

Reaction score
^ FWIW the BB shell belt is made from Horween stock.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I would be careful about cordovan in Japan. I have seen cordovan sold there that looks like it has been sprayed with a plastic coating, something a bit like what happens to corrected grain leather....I think it was called "wet cordovan" "drip cordovan?" or something like that. Takeya, a Japanese discounter that I love, has cordovan that just does not look right to me. If you are in Tokyo, you should go look at Lakota House to see if you note any difference between what you see at Suzuwaya and the Horween cordovan wallets on offer there.

sanrensho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bic Pentameter
I would be careful about cordovan in Japan. I have seen cordovan sold there that looks like it has been sprayed with a plastic coating, something a bit like what happens to corrected grain leather....I think it was called "wet cordovan" "drip cordovan?" or something like that. Takeya, a Japanese discounter that I love, has cordovan that just does not look right to me. If you are in Tokyo, you should go look at Lakota House to see if you note any difference between what you see at Suzuwaya and the Horween cordovan wallets on offer there.
Thanks for the tip! Yes, I'm near Tokyo so I'll check them out.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall

Originally Posted by Wrenkin
The list of non-dodgy places apparently gets smaller every day.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Bic Pentameter

If I remember correctly, RIDER was the one who wrote about seeing and testing samples from both the Japanese company and Horween (if it wasn't RIDER, sorry whoever it was). The reviewer said that the Japanese shell was both a little thinner and shinier; it was also a bit more water resistant. I'm not sure this is a sign of its being lower in quality, just different.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

If I remember correctly, RIDER was the one who wrote about seeing and testing samples from both the Japanese company and Horween (if it wasn't RIDER, sorry whoever it was). The reviewer said that the Japanese shell was both a little thinner and shinier; it was also a bit more water resistant. I'm not sure this is a sign of its being lower in quality, just different.

I am a big fan of many things Japanese, and can agree that different does not always mean inferior. (For all I know, some of the stuff I saw in Japan may have been from Horween, although it was not clearly labeled as such.) Still, what I saw and bought in Japan was less attractive than Alden shell cordovan items I have seen.

I wonder if it may not be something other than the horse hide membrane we refer to as "shell cordovan." I have seen items in Japanese shops identified as "shell cordovan," and (that items were clearly not calf) identified as "cordovan."

The picture included by the original poster describes the wallets and day planner covers as "cordovan," but not "shell cordovan."

Bic

khaki sack

Reaction score
I am still in the market for a cigar case of shell cordovan.

Guyute

Reaction score
Anyone have an answer for OP's question regarding the aging characteristics of Shell Cordovan in a wallet?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
pretty much the same as calf, goes darker and softer - nothing too special or different

mtf

Reaction score
I have one made out of Horween shell from makr.com. I've had it for five months now and it's aging very well and developing a patina more quickly than the leather wallets I've owned in the past.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for opinions on this wallet as I'm considering returning it. Brooks Bros. shell wallet (not the Japanese "oil shell" one). I found this one on their site but the catalog pic was exterior only and not much of a description but I ordered it anyway. The shell is more like the shell I'm used to seeing as opposed to the shiny shell used in the the made in Japan version. The made is Japan version is nicely made, more refined IMO but looks a little shiny and not like shell shoes. This one is made in Spain, looks and feels like shell used for shoes and a little less refined. The color is comparable to #8. What do you think? Keep or return? It cost the same as the Japanese wallet. I ordered it with the 25% off + 15% kicker, free shipping promo they just had.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads