or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Do you feel you are intelligent?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you feel you are intelligent? - Page 9

post #121 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff Ghost View Post
I am a simian mongoloid too overwhelmingly unintelligent to understand even the most basic concepts of human society.

Welcome. You will find yourself at home on the interwebz.
post #122 of 240
A fun way of phrasing it- whether we *feel* intelligent or not...I myself basically dont care about it and tbh I hate "thinking" itself profoundly and try to avoid it where possible cause Im very lazy; but thinking about it as objectively as one can be at such things Id say that Im probably a bit above average or average (not that it matters anyway-)...
post #123 of 240
It depends on how you look at it: being book smart does not necessarily equate to overall intelligence. I am book smart but I am not generally intelligent. Let me explain what I mean: If you look at people that are successful today, they have been able to master the act of "manipulation" and this in turn has helped them a great deal in life. Generally speaking, a well-rounded person in terms of social interaction tends to be more successful. If you are extremely intelligent and dont understand how to deal with complexities of social interaction, then your intelligence is meaningless.
post #124 of 240
I've had my IQ tested twice - 134 and 138 respectively. Whatever. I don't put too much stock into that since a lot of things in life are driven by luck and timing.

Snooki is a half step above retarded and I guarantee she's made way more in the last two years than I have.

And I'm sure there are also homeless geniuses out there.
post #125 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM79 View Post
I've had my IQ tested twice - 134 and 138 respectively. Whatever. I don't put too much stock into that since a lot of things in life are driven by luck and timing.

Snooki is a half step above retarded and I guarantee she's made way more in the last two years than I have.

And I'm sure there are also homeless geniuses out there.

Just because you're intelligent, doesn't mean you're going to make a lot of money.
post #126 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff Ghost View Post
I am a simian mongoloid too overwhelmingly unintelligent to understand even the most basic concepts of human society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
Welcome. You will find yourself at home on the interwebz.

Or a member of the EU Parliament.
post #127 of 240
"There are 3 kinds of intelligence: One kind can understand on its own, the second can understand through others, and the third can understand neither on its own nor through others. The first kind is excellent, the second good enough, the third useless."

Niccolo Machiavelli
post #128 of 240
DT worthy.
post #129 of 240
I feel well above average ... even if a high school English teacher told me I'd do well to become a clerk at K-Mart. I recall responding, "I think daddy owns K-Mart."

EDIT: Sorry Mrs. Parker ... I have made amends in that last sentence. The possessive is gone ... as none should be present.
post #130 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
I feel well above average ... even if a high school English teacher told me I'd do well to become a clerk at K-Mart. I recall responding, "I think daddy own's K-Mart."

I can't imagine why she would have told you something like that.
post #131 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
I feel well above average ... even if a high school English teacher told me I'd do well to become a clerk at K-Mart. I recall responding, "I think daddy own's K-Mart."
My poor spelling ... I'm sure ... an use of possessive when it isn't about possession ... but rather subject-verb agreement.

and ... I'll correct that Mrs. Parker ... oh yes, yes, I will.

But there are times I avoid using the possessive when it is required. I often type it's for the possessive ... and I do know better. But I can diagram a sentence with ease (not that any job ever required me to do it ... dammit).
post #132 of 240
I used to be a fucking allstar. Classic under acheiver. ADD back when it wasnt as well understood kept be all kinds of screwed up. Off the charts on tests, etc.. but 0 ability to concentrate or focus. Has it held me back? professionally? Maybe. I always wanted to be a lawyer, and I think I would be very good at it, but I knwo there is no way I would even make it through law school. I feel like I have gotten dumber as the years have gone on, like my brain just cant resolve things any more. I grasp at words, get lost in conversations sometimes, shit like that (hell I probably need to see a doctor about it....), but I always chalk that up to how fast my brain is working, I;ve been told its called cluttering. So because of that, I feel like I could be 'better' than I am, but its not tripped me up as of yet.
post #133 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
0 ability to concentrate or focus.
I was often told this by teachers ... or more often my parents were told. In all sincerity, I was bored.

As an adult I was diagnosed with ADD and begain talking medication. Within a few months my production of work nearly doubled. However, I got so focused that I couldn't tear myself away. I'd find myself sitting at my desk realizing I needed a break to visit the john ... but I just couldn't tear myself away from what I was doing ... until I absolutely had to.

On a side note, with the taking of medication resulted in more of a focus ... my creative abilities suffered greatly. When medicating ... everything will be nice and precise ... my usual poor spelling will even improve ... but the artistic quality of my work isn't at the level it otherwise would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
I ... grasp at words, get lost in conversations sometimes ...
I do this when I'm talking and something I've said triggers thoughts about somethings else ... resulting in my talking about one thing and thinking about another (or two). Not good.
post #134 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
I was often told this by teachers ... or more often my parents were told. In all sincerity, I was bored.

As an adult I was diagnosed with ADD and begain talking medication. Within a few months my production of work nearly doubled. However, I got so focused that I couldn't tear myself away. I'd find myself sitting at my desk realizing I needed a break to visit the john ... but I just couldn't tear myself away from what I was doing ... until I absolutely had to.

On a side note, with the taking of medication resulting in a more focus ... my creative abilities suffered greatly. When medicating ... everything will be nice and precise ... my usual poor spelling will even improve ... but the artistic quality of my work isn't at the level it otherwise would be.

I do this when I'm talking and something I've said triggers thoughts about somethings else ... resulting in my talking about one thing and thinking about another (or two). Not good.

Sounds like you and I should have a chat. I dont really talk to anyone about this, but sounds like you may have some insight.
post #135 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
Sounds like you and I should have a chat. I dont really talk to anyone about this, but sounds like you may have some insight.
Feel free to PM me sometime.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Do you feel you are intelligent?