• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Designing a new suit - what details are you looking for?

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Greetings all,

We are finalizing the details of our first line of classic suits and wanted to quickly poll the styleforum members on what their preferences are as well as style details you would like to see in a high quality luxury garment. We admit we should have acted much earlier in running this by the forum, but we still have time to make last minute changes or add details!

We are starting small with a selection of 4 fabrics and will debut with a more modern 2-button (higher gorge) model with notch lapels and side vents, full canvass construction, pick-stitching throughout, basted sleeves (to allow for functional sleeve buttons) and flapped besom pockets. We have not yet decided whether we will offer a single pleated pant or a flat front pant. Fine details will likely include bemberg lining, corozo buttons, demi-luna reinforced pocket stitching, an inside chest pocket which opens UP and down to accommodate an airline ticket, and trousers will have an inner curtained waist band. We hope to introduce this new line exclusively on eHaberdasher.com and also on ebay later this year.

We are extremely excited about this new venture and your opinions and input are much appreciated. We eagerly look forward to hearing from you all!

Yours Truly,

Ben

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eHaberdasher
Greetings all,

We are finalizing the details of our first line of classic suits and wanted to quickly poll the styleforum members on what their preferences are as well as style details you would like to see in a high quality luxury garment. We admit we should have acted much earlier in running this by the forum, but we still have time to make last minute changes or add details!

We are starting small with a selection of 4 fabrics and will debut with a more modern 2-button (higher gorge) model with notch lapels and side vents, full canvass construction, pick-stitching throughout, basted sleeves (to allow for functional sleeve buttons) and flapped besom pockets. We have not yet decided whether we will offer a single pleated pant or a flat front pant. Fine details will likely include bemberg lining, corozo buttons, demi-luna reinforced pocket stitching, an inside chest pocket which opens UP and down to accommodate an airline ticket, and trousers will have an inner curtained waist band. We hope to introduce this new line exclusively on eHaberdasher.com and also on ebay later this year.

We are extremely excited about this new venture and your opinions and input are much appreciated. We eagerly look forward to hearing from you all!

Yours Truly,

Ben

Hello Ben,

Are there advantages for SF (a 30% off?)?

GN

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Regarding a StyleForum discount - probably - but likely not anywhere close to 30%.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds neat... I actually like the single pleat pants but what do I know
smile.gif
Any indication of the price point for this product? EDIT - I agree with Jack about suspender buttons.

treegarden

Reaction score
Inside pockets should include a pen pocket and "cigarette" (now cell-phone) pocket on the left side. I also like an exterior ticket pocket.

I also agree on side tabs and suspender buttons instead of belt loops (although suspender buttons are really best on high-waisted trousers made to be worn with suspenders...I mean braces). Oh, and how about a hanging loop inside the trouser waistband, for hanging on a hook inside a gym locker?

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
flat front pants!

jacket inside pockets, at least 5; two inside chest pockets, pen pocket, two inside waist pockets for cell phones and cigarettes.

btw, are these going to be MTM suits?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ben,

I would suggest that, if at all feasible, you offer a choice between flat-front and pleated. A further choice of suspended pants (with pleats of course) would be gravy. The choices you've made so far all seem solid, although excessive pick-stitching for pick-stitching's sake could be, well, excessive. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rubberized strip (shirt stay) in suit pants trousers & pattern matching are a plus for me.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
option for peak lapel.
What price point are you considering? I am assuming this is MTM.

khaki sack

Reaction score
Lapels with 3/2 roll, and, a outside pocket for, Pez.

Kamala

Reaction score
I hope your suits are available in sizes 50L and 52L. That's all. Some big guys like to have a little style too!

penguin vic

Reaction score
For an initial line of 'classic' suits, I vote against exterior ticket pockets and hacking style pockets. Sounds interesting!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads