• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you had to start over tomorrow

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you had to start over tomorrow, building a casual wardrobe completely from scratch, what would your foundation purchases be? Be as specific as possible - brands, models, fabrics etc., and preferably stuff that is currently available at retail. Link pics if you can.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'd like a suitcase worth of casual clothes with bullet holes in them.

Halifamous

Reaction score
I'd trade out a lot of the tighter more dior'ey stuff for Rick Owens or Raf.

I'd keep the Jil/Raf/RGeller stuff though.
And I'd keep my supercasuals, the jeans sneakers and tees.

There's no links or anything needed as the basic point I want to make is that I'd get rid of the stuff that just didn't work on my body type (tight tight tight) but that I refused to stay away from because I loved it, and I'd replace it with similarly priced items that work far better for me.

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If its got to be all retail and i've got some money to burn, this is where I start:

wardrobefromscratch.jpg

1. APC New Standard $155

2. Engineered Garments chambray $230

3. Engineered Garments pullover $175

4. Hickey Donegal $1000

5. Paul Smith socks $35

6. Paul Smith Sneakers $170

7. Clarks Desert Boot $94

8. Stowa Marine Original $1100

9. Ralph Lauren sunglasses $170

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black

This went right over my head, dare I ask for an explanation?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice presentation PinkPantser, that is the sort of response I was hoping to see. It gives a nice visual of your personal style.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nah doesn't really mean anything just saying i would like some clothes that look like they've been through a lot, don't really like the idea of 'starting fresh' because i believe at any given point our clothes even if new should be old at the same time.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I'd be fucked.

I wouldn't change a thing Andrew.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice stuff, Pink. You just gave me some ideas, the boots and chambray, in particular.

If I could start over, I would buy the same stuff sized down 2.

jkennett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
perfect response I also hate the idea of rebuilding my wardrobe. I like the fact that everything I have was purchased at a different point in my life, and reflects those different times and places. I like clothing to have a story. If you're looking to add casual items to your store, I would suggest Band of Outsiders and Rogues Gallery stuff. That's what I've been looking at purchasing next. edit: My fault... Should have known better about the store. I had actually made a list and deleted it earlier so I'll try to replicate it from memory. It's basically my current style with all the quality elevated a few notches. wwII deadstock paratrooper boots samurai and/or kmw denim fred perry polos in a ton of colorways (of course Get Smart chose that, and I admit I envy his current Fred Perry collection) BoO shirts Alden longwings Rogues Gallery by Quoddy green hightop deck shoes a nice casual watch (maybe Panerai?) some good bespoke suits

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all about shoes and jeans for me, things you can wear over and over and never get "old". For some reason I feel everything else is disposable or has limited utility.

Jeans:
Flat Head 3001 or Iron Heart 634S
possibly Oni Blue

Shoes:
Florsheim Kenmoor Shell longwing
Tricker's Stow boot
RM Williams Comfort Craftsman
Alden 911

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkennett
If you're looking to add casual items to your store, I would suggest Band of Outsiders and Rogues Gallery stuff. That's what I've been looking at purchasing next.

To be clear, this isn't research. I thought it would be a good way to get a snapshot of the respondents personal style, circa April 08. Also it could be good for ideas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads