• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke tailors in Bombay (India) for suits - Suggestions?

randomax

Reaction score
Evening everyone -

I have been looked around this forum to find threads that pertain to bespoke tailoring for suits in the Bombay area. I will be going to India this summer and was hoping to get a trial suit and some shirts made.

There have been some discussions about Bombay tailors on this forum but most of them are very dated and I was hoping to get some fresh suggestions from the experienced audience on this website. I am 26 years old and am very skinny yet tall (~5'11", 130 pounds, XS shirt fit 28-30" slacks depending on brand) and there are very few affordable brands that fit me well so this is an obvious choice for me. Also, I am more inclined towards a more slim fit, British cut suit (tapered) - a more modern fit versus the more conventional cuts - not to sound cliched but GQesque fit.

Are there any good tailors in Bombay that people recommend?

Thanks very much.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GQ reported about a tailor named Radiant in Mumbai, you might want to check it out

Jazzi

Reaction score
Ask around in Bandra shopping centre

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I would check with globetrotter - I believe he lived in India for a few years.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
globe and I have disagreed about Bombay tailors, but I suppose it's simply a matter of YMMV.

Whatever you do, either bring your own cloth or be prepared to be very skeptical about the claims on the selvedge of cloths they show you, even down to whether it's actually all wool.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fake cloths abound in Asia, especially high end Eye-talian stuff. I second RJman's suggestion.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used Kachins for years. RJman had a bad epereince with them, but RJ is used to a much higher end tailor epereince than I am. I had something like a dozen suits, a trench coat, overcoat and a half dozen pair of trousers made by kachins, and I was very happy with what I got for my money.

kachins is by the "old air conditioner market" if you ask your hotel to tell that to a cab driver, he will get you there.

Jazzi

Reaction score
Kachins is the best tailor right now in India

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jazzi
Kachins is the best tailor right now in India

What about Raja Daswani?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
What about Raja Daswani?

are you dense?! raja daswani is a MILLIONAIRE CELEBRITY TAILOR. Kachins is just a tailor. No one enjoys the status of Raja Daswani, except perhaps Ozwald Boateng. He is famous in all of Hong Kong, and people line up just to get a glimpse of him sewing something. Ask anyone in Hong Kong, do you know Daswani? And they will say, "you mean the MILLIONAIRE CELEBRITY TAILOR Daswani? Of course!" Kachin is the best in India, but not in the same level as that of millionaire celebrity tailors. Of course, his work is better than that of Savile Row, which is not HOT, lol.

fap fap fap fap.

neyus

Reaction score
I hope someone starts a thread with a Daswani challenge? Kachins would be a close second? Obviously he doesn't have the celebrity status.

randomax

Reaction score
Thanks for all your inputs. Kachins is definitely on my list although I've heard mixed reviews about Raja Daswani.

Anybody have experience with Radiant (the one referred by GQ). I'm rather naive when it comes to tailors but I'd give more importance to personal referrals - especially if it's coming from someone who has a frame similar to mine - versus the already famous and publicised.

RJMan: I'm planning to take my own cloth. Out of curiousity, what did you not like about Kachins? My primary concern with tailors is whether I will get the desired cut on the suit since I'm so skinny. Some of the slim fit Zara suits fit me well but the material is subpar and patterns are a little too trendy for work at Wall Street.

Thanks again guys!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kachins also has a very nice user expereince - 5-6 fittings, a nice sitting room, very pleasant staff.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomax
RJMan: I'm planning to take my own cloth. Out of curiousity, what did you not like about Kachins?
1. Can't bring your own cloth
2. Hoodwinked me into thinking three yards of fabric were needed just to make trousers (this was before I knew better), with resulting higher charge.
3. Expensive charges for said fabric, which was of the anonymous selvedge "130s" fly by night type, but which raise doubts as to whether they're even all wool
4. Upcharge at the last minute for lining the trousers, even though I was having them copy a pair that were lined and they should have told me as such at the time of order.
5. Stitches that gave out in several places soon after order, necessitating repairs.
6. Failure to have trousers ready at time they said they would.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads