or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Kettlebells?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kettlebells? - Page 21

post #301 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
I just went up from a 20 kilo to a 55 pound, my body is in shock. it will take me a while to get used to this.

Blame the metric system.

Actually I can swing a 24kg, release and catch, but struggle to carry it.
post #302 of 310
any good videos to this stuff? i get the swing. the other 2 moves which i think are called snatch and press i have difficulty executing though i don't think i'm doing it right.
post #303 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwolf View Post
any good videos to this stuff? i get the swing. the other 2 moves which i think are called snatch and press i have difficulty executing though i don't think i'm doing it right.

Do you already have Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell?
post #304 of 310
no but was thinking more of a youtube clip that would teach me how to do it. i liked the stuff you linked a few pages back. i think the movements i'm having trouble with is the clean and the lockout according to steve cotters lingo... basically anything that involves flipping the bell. how many would you say i try first 50 swings a day? i've got a 12kg and a 16kg. i don't lift weights nor cardio much but i play soccer once in awhile still i'm not in the best shape.
post #305 of 310
Work into snatches by moving the kettlebell higher every swing. In fact, that's how I used to start my high-rep snatches all the time - even when I had worked up to a 100.
post #306 of 310
Kettlebell swings are part of my met-con training. I also use them for shrugs.
post #307 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwolf View Post
no but was thinking more of a youtube clip that would teach me how to do it. i liked the stuff you linked a few pages back. i think the movements i'm having trouble with is the clean and the lockout according to steve cotters lingo... basically anything that involves flipping the bell.
Cotter and Pavel both teach the clean the same way, starting from the rack position.


Quote:
how many would you say i try first 50 swings a day? i've got a 12kg and a 16kg. i don't lift weights nor cardio much but i play soccer once in awhile still i'm not in the best shape.

In the absence of any specific goals, you can aim for the RKC program minimum:
  • Twice a week alternate sets of swings with easy jogging for recovery for 12 minutes
  • Do your swings to a comfortable stop. Once you are well conditioned you may go all-out occasionally
  • "Shake out" the lactic acid and tension from your muscles when jogging. Relax! The purpose of jogging is active recovery, not more conditioning.
  • Twice a week, do turkish get-up singles, switching arms after each rep, for 5 minutes.
  • Focus on perfect technique, not on reps. Don't count you get-up reps, and don't try to top them!
  • Arrange the weekly plan any way you want, e.g., Mon., Thurs.-Swings; Tues., Fri.-get-ups or Mon., Thurs.-get-ups; Tues., Sat.-swings. If you want to add an extra swing or get-up day, go ahead-make your day.
  • Start each workout with 10 minutes of face-the-wall squats, halos, and pumps.
  • Unless you are an experienced strength athlete, do no other lifting.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.       I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
post #308 of 310
thanks man! really appreciate the help.
post #309 of 310
did 100 one hand snatch and presses today with the 55 pounder for the first time in a single go. very happy. very very happy.
post #310 of 310
Does anybody know where a guy can get good kettlebells around Toronto? Can't find one online that's legit and ships to Canada.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Kettlebells?