• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can I find discounted Oliver Peoples?

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was at a sunglass shop recently and I found my dream sunglasses, but they were $350+. That price is hard to swallow and was wondering if there were any places online that sell discounted OP sunglasses? I assume ebay, but anywhere else? Typically, how much of a discount would I be able to find OP sunglasses at?

Thanks!

presence

Reaction score
If you have health insurance they might defray some of the cost of the glasses. I love my Oliver People's.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by presence
If you have health insurance they might defray some of the cost of the glasses. I love my Oliver People's.
I would love to know what insurance helps to pay for sunglasses.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie

Most probably don't but if you get the store to provide you with a receipt for 'glasses', it shouldn't be an issue.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, good old fraud.

I'm all for deals but that's a bit much.

thepataphysician

Reaction score

my insurance paid for my prescription sunglasses. I get one pair of glasses per year, and already have a couple pair of eyeglasses, so they paid for the prescription sunglasses that I bought. Insurance doesn't care about if glasses are tinted or not, prescription glasses are prescription glasses.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I see them often at Off 5th in Raleigh and S. Fla.

I got a pair of aviators (Commanders, I think) for $50

sammy

Reaction score
I bought my OP Aero brand new off eBay for less than half of the retail price.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thepataphysician
my insurance paid for my prescription sunglasses. I get one pair of glasses per year, and already have a couple pair of eyeglasses, so they paid for the prescription sunglasses that I bought. Insurance doesn't care about if glasses are tinted or not, prescription glasses are prescription glasses.

While you may disagree (others probably will as well), IMO prescription sunglasses are not the same as regular sunglasses and while you're technically correct that insurance will pay for them (depending on coverage plan) that's not what the OP was asking about...

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sammy
I bought my OP Aero brand new off eBay for less than half of the retail price.
Same. I bought the Strummer earlier this year off of eBay for about half price brand new as well. I'd actually bought them retail first but happened to find them online while within my return period. Ended up paying $202 for them compared with $360 retail. Would have been slightly cheaper but the seller was in NJ like me and I had to pay tax; but I was paying that with the store purchase anyway.

zyg0te

Reaction score
Don't be cheap. Just get them from the place you found them.

zyg0te

Reaction score
While you may disagree (others probably will as well), IMO prescription sunglasses are not the same as regular sunglasses and while you're technically correct that insurance will pay for them (depending on coverage plan) that's not what the OP was asking about...

What is your point? Sunglasses are sunglasses, and the OP wasn't asking about insurance at all.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zyg0te
What is your point? Sunglasses are sunglasses, and the OP wasn't asking about insurance at all.
Read the thread smart guy.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zyg0te
Don't be cheap. Just get them from the place you found them.
If you can save money elsewhere that makes no sense.

Perhaps you are rolling in $ so paying more may make sense to you but for the rest of us...it doesn't...

zyg0te

Reaction score
If you can save money elsewhere that makes no sense.

Perhaps you are rolling in $ so paying more may make sense to you but for the rest of us...it doesn't...

I'm sorry but I respect the places I shop at. I am not going to use the services they provide, but not give them my business.

Sure it costs more, part of that cost is in them having staff there to help you pick out the glasses, adjust them, overhead costs of keeping frames on the shelf so you can try them on, etc.

Also when you buy online see what hoops you would need to go through to claim something under defective warranty (if there even is one).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads