• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing Ideas You'd Do If You Were A Clothes Designer

naaaaate

Reaction score
I love clothing like crazy but my own artistic output is elsewhere and I've never touched a sewing machine in my life. However I do come up with ideas every once in a while that I kind of wish I could realize but I won't ever so I'll post them here and if you want to you can too! Or you can make fun of my ideas, either way
blush.gif

Anyways we all love how jeans fade thanks to indigo being such an "imperfect" dye and fading/rubbing off very quickly, so why keep it just to jeans? I'm sure this has been done in some form or another, but I was thinking a thick gingham shirt where the colored threads of the gingham were indigo dyed so they would age sweet and the indigo would rub off on the white parts and it'd look neat.

Indigo corduroy is another thing I was thinking. The whole thing would start out indigo-ed, then as it got worn the indigo in the wale would quickly fade but the indigo in the fabric behind the wale (can't remember what its called) would stay dark making a neat contrast.

Someone has probably done these things but they were the first things I thought of when posting this thread, you can post your own ideas if you want!

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beveled jeans, cut out collars on polo and dress shirts.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^
Biter...

naaaaate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5

Everybody makin fun of that dude is probably going to push him from normal insane to violent insane and he's going to become a serial killer who makes sartorially groundbreaking corpses that have large holes cut out of them. New Eric Glennie cut-out stomache torsos, show off those intestines! Dare to murder different - EG.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
huh? I don't know who you are talking about. My ideas are 100% new and innovative, name one designer in menswear who offers unique polo collars and cut out jeans!

naaaaate

Reaction score
Welp; you had a warning, I hope you like being an innovative cut-out eye and bevel leg-stump with severed drop-ass ass neohuman.

Studio27

Reaction score
huh? I don't know who you are talking about. My ideas are 100% new and innovative, name one designer in menswear who offers unique polo collars and cut out jeans!

they're patented. now go pay your royalties!
devil.gif

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd keep things simple. Allow me to demostrate: take this existing Schott perfecto jacket, keep the construction and hide quality but cut off the shoulder cuffs, get rid of all the pockets, get rid of the collar buttons, and change all the hardware from silver to copper.

By the way, I asked Schott to do this for me and they told me to **** OFF.

ezmmvk.jpg

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
lol8[1].gif
It IS called the perfecto.

Most of the time, I'd just make some button downs that actually FIT. Which is why I'm getting a sewing machine. Srsly.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whoa, there el capitan, hold the revolution: isn't a collarless polo called a henley and a collarless dress shirt called a band collar?

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This sounds like a job for the notorious BlackScissors...

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd make flat front pants with frogmouth pockets a la TaT in order to eradicate that stupid pocket/hip bulge on flat fronts and (I think) reduce the need for pleated pants.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
Most of the time, I'd just make some button downs that actually FIT. Which is why I'm getting a sewing machine. Srsly.

The bane of my existence.

If you get one, try taking some cheap OTR shirts that fit in the shoulder and simply make some alterations to make them fit. You'll be surprised at what you can make to fit you without going fully 'from-scratch'.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
^ Oh yeah, I'll be doing that for a while just for practice anyways. The thrift store will be my friend. Do you do our own alterations?
Whoa, there el capitan, hold the revolution: isn't a collarless polo called a henley and a collarless dress shirt called a band collar?
Not if you do it the proper Eric Glennie way. And by that I mean, completely insane. Sorry, someone had to explain it to people who missed the reference.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
^ Oh yeah, I'll be doing that for a while just for practice anyways. The thrift store will be my friend. Do you do our own alterations?

Yep. Bought a cheap sewing machine later last year and have been mostly tailoring my own shirts since. Most size-small shirts fit in the shoulder, but billow out like a balloon in the torso. I simply could not buy shirts that fit me very well without spending hundreds of dollars for a shirt....so I spent a hundred bucks on a sewing machine and it made up for the cost within ~4 or 5 shirts worth of tailoring.

Jesus, whatever you do....do NOT cut out any of the extra fabric you have in the shirt! Leave it so if you screw up the shape of the shirt, you can bust the seam and reshape it. You WILL screw up.....a lot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads