or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Deck shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Deck shoes

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
Hi there, I really want to get some nice deck shoes for the summer casual wear and also its great for on the boat. I like something like this, but obviously a mens version

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandhea...ture=329795425

What brands would you recommend? if i could buy a pair online (UK) it would be great too! Price doesn't really matter

thanks for any help
post #2 of 32
Sperry Topsider's... it's the only brand, period. All others are copies since they are the original.

http://www.sperrytopsider.com/index.jsp

It's an American company and some lines are still made in Massachusetts, so I'd buy them from an American site since that would probably be where you'd find the best value. Take advantage of that currency too.

You can find them on Ebay, Amazon, Macys.com, just about any online shoe store like Zappos http://www.zappos.com/n/br/b/152/Spe...Top-Sider.html too.

They're pretty inexpensive. I bought a pair on sale recently for $15.
post #3 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWoah View Post
Sperry Topsider's... it's the only brand, period. All others are copies since they are the original.

http://www.sperrytopsider.com/index.jsp

It's an American company and some lines are still made in Massachusetts, so I'd buy them from an American site since that would probably be where you'd find the best value. Take advantage of that currency too.

You can find them on Ebay, Amazon, Macys.com, just about any online shoe store like Zappos http://www.zappos.com/n/br/b/152/Spe...Top-Sider.html too.

They're pretty inexpensive. I bought a pair on sale recently for $15.
Sperry Topsider.
post #4 of 32
Don't forget Ireland's outpost of D4 douchebaggery - Dubarrys.

http://www.dubarryboots.com/

Better looking than Sperry, and already on your side of the Atlantic.

Edit: they've gotten vf expensive since I was young, apparently.
post #5 of 32
Eh, not a fan... and better looking? That's subjective. Too pricey at approx $250USD, deck shoes are supposed to be inexpensive, not merely look inexpensive.

You can pay $1500 for a Seersucker suit too.
post #6 of 32
Try shipton & heneage. They have a decent selection, and you can buy from their website: http://www.shiptonandheneage.co.uk/erol.html
post #7 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogie View Post
What brands would you recommend? if i could buy a pair online (UK) it would be great too! Price doesn't really matter

I was browsing a friend's Charles Tyrwhitt catalogue today. They have some nifty looking boat shoes: click here

If you use that link, you can get 50% off ("elliot" landing page)
post #8 of 32
Sebago's Docksides are much better made than Sperry Top Siders, IMO. More expensive, too.
post #9 of 32
I'm a New Englander and was raised in them. The company is a local institution and hanging out around the water is too. Could explain my fondness for them.

I get a lot of use out of my dock shoes and I beat the hell out of them. I need something that looks good, is comfortable and relatively cheap so I don't feel like I should care what I do in them. Sperry's meet all that.

Plus, you don't need to worry about getting them wet (well, the pairs I buy).
post #10 of 32
Since I started wearing deck shoes as a teen way back in the 1980s in the Summer (or knocking around the house in the winter) either Sperry or Timberland make great shoes. Sperrys are the original, Timberland makes a quality product. I have not tried Sebago yet, try them next when my Timberlands wear out.
post #11 of 32
I found the Rockport Bridgeport to be more comfortable for "round-the-town" wear than Sperry Topsider Originals.
post #12 of 32
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all of the great advice. I bought a pair of Sperry Billfish 3 from amazon.com
costs almost double to ship to the UK but it's fine because american clothes seem cheap

I hope i'm correct that size 45 is US-11.5

Might grab some Rockport Bridgeport as well. I have to be careful with colours of these because i'm only 24, but quite preppy so I can get away with it.
post #13 of 32
I bought a pair of Sperry's last year and they are out of this world. They are the only deck shoes worth buying in my mind. I am sure you will enjoy them.
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogie View Post
Thanks for all of the great advice. I bought a pair of Sperry Billfish 3 from amazon.com
costs almost double to ship to the UK but it's fine because american clothes seem cheap

I hope i'm correct that size 45 is US-11.5

Might grab some Rockport Bridgeport as well. I have to be careful with colours of these because i'm only 24, but quite preppy so I can get away with it.

Excellent call with the Billfish. I'm a huge Sperry fan but the Topsiders are way too flimsy and I can wear through a pair in one season. Billfish have a lot more support and will last longer.
post #15 of 32
Thread Starter 
Can't wait to get them

What trousers shall i get to go with them for a more every day casual situation? i think i'll only dare the white trousers on the boat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Deck shoes