or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Posting same topic here and on AAAC forums??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Posting same topic here and on AAAC forums?? - Page 5

post #61 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post
Anent Cruiser, you've got to hand to the guy. By sheer obnoxiousness and dogged pertinacity (abetted by tolerant or actually sympathetic moderators), he has single-handedly done a great deal to change the tenor of a forum with 14,000 (or whatever) members...although not for the better, I fear.

He doesn't even need to actually post anymore. He could just type "Standard Cruiser Post" because we all know precisely what he's going to say anyway.

The man doesn't like men's clothes, why he spends so much time on a forum dedicated to the subject is anybody's guess.
post #62 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orsini View Post
You know, once they find out about this thread over there we are going to be in trouble...

Maybe no one will tell them.
post #63 of 532
I was a very active member of AAAC for about four years. I learnt a ton and even made a few friends through the site. I got to about a thousand posts and stopped because of some changes to my life, but the other day I poked my head in there again for the first time in over a year.

The place had definitely changed. What were omnious signs a year ago have indeed consumed the site. For instance, although I am more a Savile Row guy, I appreciated the Trad forum. I do believe that it has done more to "codify" the Ivy League style than any place else, and I think that the forum has raised the profile of traditional American clothing among stylists and advertisers (which then gets filtered to the public as a whole). However, the trad forum then became populated with people who were looking for the "trad lifestyle". Ironically, as much as they eschwed Ralph Lauren, they had bought into his advertising.

Another problem: people who had no experience of gentlemen's clubs thought it was a "club of gentlemen". It thereby became a parody of such a thing. Like the depiction of the Philadelphia Club in Trading Places.

Heavy-handed (and not entirely even-handed) moderation also drove a good portion of the more free-thinking away, IMHO.

I miss the old AAAC. It had some of the best educated people on any of the "fora". It had a great trans-Atlantic membership that not only liked traditional clothing, but was also interested in the culture that surrounded it and how that culture related to the modern world. The threads on formal wear (though they could get overly proscriptive) were fantastic. For instance: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=65697

I think I may revive my old AAAC moniker here (even though half of my posts there were wiped out at some point last year). It's still unclaimed and a few folk from the old days who may remember now seem happily ensconced here.
post #64 of 532
Just for interest's sake I have cross posted a new thread here and at AAAC. Part of the reason for doing so was to see what the qualitative difference between the two parallel threads would be. Take a look and decide for yourself:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=81610

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=62637

If anything I gave the AAAC thread a running start. It started a few minutes before I cross posted on SF.
post #65 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungFogey View Post
I was a very active member of AAAC for about four years. I learnt a ton and even made a few friends through the site. I got to about a thousand posts and stopped because of some changes to my life, but the other day I poked my head in there again for the first time in over a year.

The place had definitely changed. What were omnious signs a year ago have indeed consumed the site. For instance, although I am more a Savile Row guy, I appreciated the Trad forum. I do believe that it has done more to "codify" the Ivy League style than any place else, and I think that the forum has raised the profile of traditional American clothing among stylists and advertisers (which then gets filtered to the public as a whole). However, the trad forum then became populated with people who were looking for the "trad lifestyle". Ironically, as much as they eschwed Ralph Lauren, they had bought into his advertising.

Another problem: people who had no experience of gentlemen's clubs thought it was a "club of gentlemen". It thereby became a parody of such a thing. Like the depiction of the Philadelphia Club in Trading Places.

Heavy-handed (and not entirely even-handed) moderation also drove a good portion of the more free-thinking away, IMHO.

I miss the old AAAC. It had some of the best educated people on any of the "fora". It had a great trans-Atlantic membership that not only liked traditional clothing, but was also interested in the culture that surrounded it and how that culture related to the modern world. The threads on formal wear (though they could get overly proscriptive) were fantastic. For instance: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=65697

I think I may revive my old AAAC moniker here (even though half of my posts there were wiped out at some point last year). It's still unclaimed and a few folk from the old days who may remember now seem happily ensconced here.
I think the Trad forum on Ask Andy occupies a useful niche and I hope it continues to thrive. Its interest level to me waxes and wanes, but I like the fact that it exists and is a great lace whenever I am interested in one of the things that fit in the trad canon. I suppose the main forum also occupies a useful spot though its place is different than it had been. There is really no reason why SF and AAAC have to have the same focus and with the nearly complete migration of the topics discussion I am interested in over to here, I am perfectly happy to have one less place to check.
post #66 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungFogey View Post
I was a very active member of AAAC for about four years. I learnt a ton and even made a few friends through the site. I got to about a thousand posts and stopped because of some changes to my life, but the other day I poked my head in there again for the first time in over a year.

The place had definitely changed. What were omnious signs a year ago have indeed consumed the site. For instance, although I am more a Savile Row guy, I appreciated the Trad forum. I do believe that it has done more to "codify" the Ivy League style than any place else, and I think that the forum has raised the profile of traditional American clothing among stylists and advertisers (which then gets filtered to the public as a whole). However, the trad forum then became populated with people who were looking for the "trad lifestyle". Ironically, as much as they eschwed Ralph Lauren, they had bought into his advertising.

Another problem: people who had no experience of gentlemen's clubs thought it was a "club of gentlemen". It thereby became a parody of such a thing. Like the depiction of the Philadelphia Club in Trading Places.

Heavy-handed (and not entirely even-handed) moderation also drove a good portion of the more free-thinking away, IMHO.

I miss the old AAAC. It had some of the best educated people on any of the "fora". It had a great trans-Atlantic membership that not only liked traditional clothing, but was also interested in the culture that surrounded it and how that culture related to the modern world. The threads on formal wear (though they could get overly proscriptive) were fantastic. For instance: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=65697

I think I may revive my old AAAC moniker here (even though half of my posts there were wiped out at some point last year). It's still unclaimed and a few folk from the old days who may remember now seem happily ensconced here.

I think there was some sort of data loss that wiped out a lot of people's posts.

When you say "best educated", do you mean about clothes or generally? I have heard that FNB has a "more advanced" forum.
post #67 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post
I think there was some sort of data loss that wiped out a lot of people's posts.

When you say "best educated", do you mean about clothes or generally? I have heard that FNB has a "more advanced" forum.

The participants at AAAC seemed better educated generally and more knowledgeable about English and American clothing and the culture behind it. The posters at SF in those days were MUCH better informed about high end Italian and Continental clothing -- which makes sense as the demographic here seems rather younger and more fashionable. SF has always blown AAAC away on shoes.
post #68 of 532
I hadn't noticed this happened at AAAC, but at the same time I'm not as interested in the Fashion Forum. The topics just don't seem as interesting as they used to.

I still check the trad forum a few times a day and post as well. It really seems a bit more interested in the clothes and actively seeking out brands and makers than the Fashion Forum.
post #69 of 532
I think Styleforum also has AAAC blown away on discussions on narwhal tusks and other assorted exotica. AAAC has become the forum equivalent of a Jos A.Banks clearance
post #70 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
AAAC has become the forum equivalent of a Jos A.Banks clearance

In that case, can we convince Kasper and all his sock puppets to go over there? Sound like it would be perfect for him.
post #71 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post
I think there was some sort of data loss that wiped out a lot of people's posts.

When you say "best educated", do you mean about clothes or generally? I have heard that FNB has a "more advanced" forum.

Well we dont have most of the bespoke brotherhood like some forums but we try to keep the conversation stimulating.
post #72 of 532
Anyone else use a different name on each forum?
post #73 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz View Post
Anyone else use a different name on each forum?

I use different names in each forum, but use them consistently.
post #74 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Naylor View Post
...The man doesn't like men's clothes, why he spends so much time on a forum dedicated to the subject is anybody's guess.
Yes, yes, and yes!
post #75 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
Maybe no one will tell them.
Oh, oh! Too late!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Posting same topic here and on AAAC forums??