or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Should Pocket Squares match the tie?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should Pocket Squares match the tie? - Page 2

post #16 of 32
Quote:
Quote:
(j @ 19 Nov. 2004, 02:44) That's cool. I would counter, thought, that almost everything else you (could) list has a function of some kind, while a silk 'pocket square' is purely ornamental. Even the tie keeps the neck warm. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that is common yet useless is the sleeve buttons on a suit sleeve. Those, I wouldn't go without, but they come with the suit. Can you think of anything else that's purely ornamental like that?
Pocket of a suit
Do you have pockets you can't (not don't) put things into? All mine are open and functional, even if I don't use them.
post #17 of 32
Well you CAN use a silk hankerchief to wipe your noise I voted for never matching... I think it looks very tacky to match any two colors in your outfit except for leather items, which should always match.
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Quote:
(ernest @ 18 Nov. 2004, 5:56)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j,19 Nov. 2004, 02:44
That's cool. I would counter, thought, that almost everything else you (could) list has a function of some kind, while a silk 'pocket square' is purely ornamental. Even the tie keeps the neck warm. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that is common yet useless is the sleeve buttons on a suit sleeve. Those, I wouldn't go without, but they come with the suit. Can you think of anything else that's purely ornamental like that?
Pocket of a suit
Do you have pockets you can't (not don't) put things into? All mine are open and functional, even if I don't use them.
so there is no sue if you do not use it
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Well you CAN use a silk hankerchief to wipe your noise   I voted for never matching... I think it looks very tacky to match any two colors in your outfit except for leather items, which should always match.
It goes right with a sport watch thus
post #20 of 32
Quote:
That's cool. I would counter, thought, that almost everything else you (could) list has a function of some kind, while a silk 'pocket square' is purely ornamental.  ... Can you think of anything else that's purely ornamental like that?
Tassel on a loafer.
post #21 of 32
Linen with a colored border works well, you have a little color to coordinate to shirt, tie or suit and a nice fat square of white linen to deposit booglets on that can be washed. ...hmm, this is troubling. On the one hand, when we release our "square shaped silk thingies designed to go in your pocket" it would be good for business if people blew disgusting bodily waste products into it and then bought new ones. ...on the other hand I'll be pretty insulted after spending so much time makin them nice. Remind me to add that disclaimer to my return policy 'handkerchief must be returned sans snot' My grandfather kept the silk one in his outside pocket and the white one in his inside pocket according to the age old dictum "one for showin, one for blowin".
post #22 of 32
Thread Starter 
j, my point is that I don't subscribe to the theory that things need to be used for their intended purpose. If we were to do that, people should only put tickets in their ticket pockets, etc... I don't mind things that are purely ornamental in any case.
post #23 of 32
The Maus & Hoffman holiday catalogue, on page 27, shows a matching "Stripe Tie and Handkerchief Set by Brioni."  Looks swell to me.
post #24 of 32
Quote:
The Maus & Hoffman holiday catalogue, on page 27, shows a matching "Stripe Tie and Handkerchief Set by Brioni." Looks swell to me.
Yeah, Brioni does a lot of that. I don't like it. It looks too contrived. I usually go for linen or a nice Hermes print (and Hermes pocket squares are the best that I've ever seen).
post #25 of 32
Quote:
I don't like it. It looks too contrived.
By "contrived" do you mean superficial?  If so, that's what I had in mind with my earlier thought:   "I think the 'rule' against an exact match is not based solely on aesthetic opinion.  Probably it is based also on the idea that an exact match is more mindless, or less creative, than a thoughtful assemblage of patterns and colors."
post #26 of 32
Quote:
By "contrived" do you mean superficial? If so, that's what I had in mind with my earlier thought:
No, I mean contrived in the sense of trying too hard.
post #27 of 32
Let's see the result : 1) bad taste : More than 50 % At least 50 % think it is a proof of bad taste to match 2) Why not : 42 % 42 % do not know or do not care really about it 3) Good taste : 2 % 2 % (you drizz) think that this is a way to look better Well, Drizz, what is your conclusion ? May be that unemployment protects from bad taste ?
post #28 of 32
Quote:
drizzt3117 Posted on 18 Nov. 2004, 8:01 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- j, my point is that I don't subscribe to the theory that things need to be used for their intended purpose.   If we were to do that, people should only put tickets in their ticket pockets, etc... I don't mind things that are purely ornamental in any case.
I don't think things need to be used only for their intended purpose either; my theory is that they should be otherwise useful than for ornamentation. You are, of course entirely entitled to your opinion, and I don't presume to look down on anyone who shares it.
Quote:
mistahlee Posted on 18 Nov. 2004, 7:05 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tassel on a loafer.
Good call. I don't like those either ( ) but not because they have no purpose. Again, I don't think less of someone who wears them; they're just not for me.
post #29 of 32
i keep a functional (cotton) handkerchief in my breast pocket. i use it to wipe my brow if i sweat and to wipe my hands if nothing else is available. ornamentation is for women.
post #30 of 32
It's a slight secret of well-dressed men to wear a finely tailored suit, a fine shirt, a pattered tie, and a totally clashing pokcet square.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Should Pocket Squares match the tie?