or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Best pizza in NYC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best pizza in NYC? - Page 3

post #31 of 139
yeah.. it's a good neighborhood place, not worth trekking for..
post #32 of 139
Luzzo's is really good.
post #33 of 139
Didn't have much time after my meeting and just grabbed a slice off the street.

That was pretty good. Then my flight got canceled and I wound up in Brooklyn for the night and went to Grimaldis.

The ingredients were first rate and they make a damn good pie.

I'm going to shoot for Lombardi's next trip.
post #34 of 139
Had pizza at Johns on 45th. Good pie, but the best of Chicago is still better than Grimaldi's or John's. I thought John's had the better crust than Grimaldi's, but Grimaldi's ingredients were superior.
post #35 of 139
A Neapolitan friend of mine says that he has tried most of those listed, and that only Luzzo's is worth going to. He is a picky eater, even in Naples, so others will likely find enjoyment elsewhere as well.
post #36 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by countdemoney View Post
Had pizza at Johns on 45th. Good pie, but the best of Chicago is still better than Grimaldi's or John's. I thought John's had the better crust than Grimaldi's, but Grimaldi's ingredients were superior.

I challenge you to find an actual Italian visiting from Itlay who would identify Chicago "pizza" as being as such.
post #37 of 139
its more like a bunt cake with gravy
post #38 of 139
Don't think I mentioned it before and that's a mistake: Lil Frankie's pizza is the sh!t
post #39 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post
I challenge you to find an actual Italian visiting from Itlay who would identify Chicago "pizza" as being as such.

Pizza = passion, but really, I know what I like.

While you may not have had good experiences, there is a magic and majesty in the best of Chicago pizza's that the NYC pies I've tried so far can't match.

The NYC pizzas were very good, I'm feeling mighty damn happy right now after dinner at John's. But, the very best pizza I've had still comes from Chicago.

The chicago pies are much harder to turn out as consistently excellent, but when they do - well, its really freaking good. I haven't yet had the transcendent moment in NYC, but I've only had two pies here.

Chicago pizza is like sex. There's some pretty mediocre stuff that's good but akin to scratching an itch. But the WOW ones are fond memories. They're like the partner who kinda did what you were hoping they would do, but not expecting them to do.

As you can tell, CDM needs to get back from this trip to see the gf.
post #40 of 139
NYC pizza is all about context. Come live in Philly and eat our "pizza," after that a slice from the nastiest joint in NYC will taste like heaven.

dl
post #41 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl20 View Post
NYC pizza is all about context. Come live in Philly and eat our "pizza," after that a slice from the nastiest joint in NYC will taste like heaven.

dl

Have you tried Mara's or Tacconelli's?

http://cityguide.aol.com/philadelphi...nt/v-108103912

http://www.tacconellispizzeria.com/
post #42 of 139
Ugh. I went to Lombardi's a few weeks ago and it was mediocre at best. I used to love the place, but I won't be going back unless I have to.
post #43 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorse123 View Post
Ugh. I went to Lombardi's a few weeks ago and it was mediocre at best. I used to love the place, but I won't be going back unless I have to.
Mediocre is the right word to describe Lombardi's. It's one of these tourist institutions that locals don't really patronize anymore (e.g. Maxim's in Paris, etc..). It got much worse after the expansion though.
post #44 of 139
John's on Bleecker or Arturos at Thompson and Houston
post #45 of 139
Ray's pizza in the village.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Best pizza in NYC?