or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Wedding Ties
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wedding Ties - Page 12

post #166 of 177

Hi Guys - I am attending a wedding as a guest in December in St. Louis. It is a formal wedding, with the reception at one of the nicest hotels in the city. I will wear a dark grey suit from the Dormeuil Amadeus line, white shirt, black shoes and black belt. My question is about the tie and PS. I know that it shouldn't be too flashy, but I have no experience here, and I think the silver/black plaid doesnt' really look that great on me. Would this be an acceptable combination? Alternatively, I was thinking of the tie with a plain white linen square.

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

post #167 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty_Webb View Post


Because I have 8 of them to get and the ones in my post are from thetiebar and cost $15 each, but the Hober one (which is very nice I admit) is $80 each, so $120 versus $640. Weddings be expensive enough already.

 

Are you buying eight of one tie, or eight different ties?  Here are my groomsmen in grey ties from TheTieBar.com - and the ties are a really good value.  I wold compare them to a $50 regular retail tie.  They are just a hair below the quality of Nordstrom's store brand, or most of the ties in that range you would see at Hudson's Bay.  Anyway, I think, based on the ones you posted, you might like the one on the taller groomsman in the two-piece suit (not the black tie on the guy in the three-piece).  You can click on each pic for more a larger version.

 

 

Edit - just saw how long ago your post was, and also that you're doing morning dress.  If it's not too late, may I suggest:

post #168 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleguy84 View Post

Hi Guys - I am attending a wedding as a guest in December in St. Louis. It is a formal wedding, with the reception at one of the nicest hotels in the city. I will wear a dark grey suit from the Dormeuil Amadeus line, white shirt, black shoes and black belt. My question is about the tie and PS. I know that it shouldn't be too flashy, but I have no experience here, and I think the silver/black plaid doesnt' really look that great on me. Would this be an acceptable combination? Alternatively, I was thinking of the tie with a plain white linen square.



CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

I'd go with a plain white linen square. I really don't love that tie; if you are going with a dark grey suit, I'd consider a light blue tie of some sort if you don't want to wear a classic wedding tie. I have a sky blue and navy houndstooth that I like with a grey suit.
post #169 of 177

Just trying to decide on wedding tie - are the following choices all suitable both during the day and at night?  Wedding takes place early afternoon in a traditional chapel, then photographs afterwards mostly outdoors at parks, beaches and old buildings, and then an indoor reception in the evening.

 

Outfit:

- 3 piece navy or charcoal suit;

- white French cuff shirt;

- white linen pocket square; and

- black oxford shoes

 

1. Drake's Woven Oxford Weave B&W

 

 

2. Kent Wang Shepherd's Check B&W

 

 

3. Kent Wang Glen Plaid B&W

 

 

Thanks in advance.

post #170 of 177
^ I like the latter two most, but any of the three will work. I prefer wearing grey ties with a navy suit personally, but YMMV. Considering what you've already told us about your outfit, you'll have a hard time going wrong with the selections you've asked people to look at.
post #171 of 177
Any thoughts about this navy tie for a wedding tie (I'm the groom)? I'd appreciate other thoughts as well -- I'm concerned that one of the b&w ones here would be too monochromatic with my suit (and I'm planning on going w/ a white pocket square and a white lapel flower -- lilly of the valley). FWIW the tie in the pics is probably a tad bit richer of a blue than it appears -- and it's a grenadine weave.


post #172 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by abl View Post

Any thoughts about this navy tie for a wedding tie (I'm the groom)? I'd appreciate other thoughts as well -- I'm concerned that one of the b&w ones here would be too monochromatic with my suit (and I'm planning on going w/ a white pocket square and a white lapel flower -- lilly of the valley). FWIW the tie in the pics is probably a tad bit richer of a blue than it appears -- and it's a grenadine weave.



I think the color is a little too dark for that jacket. And some pattern may be better. Looks a little plain for me.
post #173 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

Anybody able to provide a lesson on these. I know that black and white glenplaid is always right, but what else can you do? Can you wear a navy and white glenplaid, or are you limited to black, white and silver?


You're definitely NOT limited to just black and white glenplaid... Wear that with a bold red or royal blue

post #174 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhanghagn0529 View Post


I think the color is a little too dark for that jacket. And some pattern may be better. Looks a little plain for me.


The classical dark charcoal grey color is timeless IMHO..Given the cut is fitted..

post #175 of 177
I'm wearing a charcoal suit for my wedding, white shirt, black captoe oxfords and deciding on the tie now. I have a black grenadine grossa, and considered that. I was also thinking of Kent Wang's black and white glen plaid here:
http://www.kentwang.com/ties/glen-plaid.html

His black and white shepherd's check is OOS, leaving only the navy here:
http://www.kentwang.com/ties/shepherds-check-navy.html

The wedding will start in the afternoon and go into the night.

Any other suggestions? I'm not really averse to buying one, but if the black grenadine works I'd go with that.
post #176 of 177
^ I'd avoid the black grenadine at a festive occasion like a wedding, especially your own. Congratulations, btw. I think the grey POW from Kent Wang is your best option. It should look very elegant with the charcoal suit, white shirt and black shoes.
post #177 of 177
Thank you for the advice and the congratulations. I think I'll go with that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Wedding Ties