or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Archives › Buying and Selling (Archive) › Change in B&S: A Trend or Permanent Shift?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Change in B&S: A Trend or Permanent Shift? - Page 7

post #91 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL72 View Post
That is a poor selling strategy if you're pricing high only to reduce and bump later.

I have no problem with people buying items for resale but they have to be realistic. Why would I buy something from a seller here that I can find in an outlet for the same price or even a bit more, where I can try it on and return it?

Yeah, this is part of it. Sometimes a bargain in the shop is no bargain here, once the seller factors in profit, shipping costs and PayPal fees. It's the B&S price that matters. Can't just walk into an outlet, pick up a common item at the regular outlet price and expect it to sell. It's got to be at a price low enough to make it worthwhile for the buyer, or sufficiently desirable to command a premium.
post #92 of 133
With regard to prices, many sellers just don't understand that it's a quid pro quo. In order for me to buy something sign unseen, which I am unable to try on, which I cannot return, and often with unknown origins, I have to get something in return; and that something is low prices. Prices on here must be lower than what I can buy it for just by walking down the street, because even at Marshalls and Filenes I can try it on and return it. Just because something is lower than retail does not mean it's a good price, and people need to realize that. Most do, and many do and just price high anyway--but I honestly think some don't understand the dynamic.
post #93 of 133
I'm a little stunned that some of you are taking issue with people taking profits here. If I buy a pair of polo trou for $50 bucks and sell it for $120, which is around the high end of things, the person who bought it from me benefited because he had no ready access to my outlet, where I found the item in his size, far below what he would have paid for something similar. The high asking price also allowed him to access the item, which would likely have sold before he could have seen it at a lower price.

Speaking as a buyer, I appreciate high prices. I bought recently a polo tux for $400 that couldn't have cost the buyer more than $200. Do I begrudge him the profit? Hell fucking no! I am very glad he priced it as he did and not for $250, a price at which I never would have had a shot.
post #94 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle View Post
I'm a little stunned that some of you are taking issue with people taking profits here. If I buy a pair of polo trou for $50 bucks and sell it for $120, which is around the high end of things, the person who bought it from me benefited because he had no ready access to my outlet, where I found the item in his size, far below what he would have paid for something similar. The high asking price also allowed him to access the item, which would likely have sold before he could have seen it at a lower price.

Speaking as a buyer, I appreciate high prices. I bought recently a polo tux for $400 that couldn't have cost the buyer more than $200. Do I begrudge him the profit? Hell fucking no! I am very glad he priced it as he did and not for $250, a price at which I never would have had a shot.

Oh, you're absolutely right. I take no issue with people making profits; that's what it's all about. What I think some are taking issue with--like myself--is people who price so high that it never sells, which clogs up all the legitimate sale threads.
post #95 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by needshoehelp View Post
but I honestly think some don't understand the dynamic.

With money on the line, everybody eventually understands the dynamic. If I price something so that it doesn't sell, I lower the price. If it still doesn't sell, and I have to take the loss, so be it; I factored that in when deciding to risk flipping it.

And I think everybody else does too. If they don't lower prices, the thread gets pushed back, so I don't see much of a problem with clogging...
post #96 of 133
Those talking about quality of items, if you look at what im selling in my signature, sure you can pick these up in alot of places, i'm mostly selling for below outlet prices, and this is because these are items i no longer wear/don't ever plan to wear again.... I use B&S as a garage sale opposed to ebay because it is simply easier, and i've sold over half of whats in my signature within a week or so... I look at the B&S here even though i hardly buy much formal wear since i don't have a need for it
post #97 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by constant struggle View Post
I use B&S as a garage sale opposed to ebay because it is simply easier

I think the real reason is, at least for me, it FREE. Which is what's great , you get the same audience, and don't have to pay the hosting site. Which is why this thread is getting debated so much, becuase I think everyone who buy/sell here recognizes the uniquness of this B/S forum and wants to work hard to maintain its integrity, and makes me angry when a few try to spoil the soup for the rest of us.
post #98 of 133
post #99 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by j View Post

It's like a sartorial supermarket of a first page.
post #100 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by j View Post

Nice!
post #101 of 133
Very nice! I was going to ask if something like that is possible.

I have my settings fixed so that I see more posts from per page within a thread. It is much nicer than having to constantly switch pages.
post #102 of 133
It's not documented that I know of, but if you add e.g. ' &perpage=100 ' or whatever to a forumdisplay.php page (e.g. http://www.styleforum.net/forumdispl...11&perpage=100) you can display as many as you want, I think up to 200.
post #103 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle View Post
I'm a little stunned that some of you are taking issue with people taking profits here. If I buy a pair of polo trou for $50 bucks and sell it for $120, which is around the high end of things, the person who bought it from me benefited because he had no ready access to my outlet, where I found the item in his size, far below what he would have paid for something similar. The high asking price also allowed him to access the item, which would likely have sold before he could have seen it at a lower price.

I definitely don't begrudge high prices at all. Personally I don't have the money to pay them, but people can price what they want.

But I do find it odd how many people have been complaining about nothing selling or how now they just skip SF for ebay when I honestly see the same items sell for much less on ebay than the prices asked for here. Just saying. I recently won a cheap auction, lets say 10 bucks, from someone on here who had been selling the same item on this site for 30 bucks. If they had just marked it at 10 (or 15 or maybe even 20) on SF to begin with they probably could have sold it and not been out all the lost profit from ebay fees.

I mean, sell as high as you want, but don't expect things to sell on here for more money than they go for on ebay.
post #104 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clench Million View Post
I definitely don't begrudge high prices at all. Personally I don't have the money to pay them, but people can price what they want.

But I do find it odd how many people have been complaining about nothing selling or how now they just skip SF for ebay when I honestly see the same items sell for much less on ebay than the prices asked for here. Just saying. I recently won a cheap auction, lets say 10 bucks, from someone on here who had been selling the same item on this site for 30 bucks. If they had just marked it at 10 (or 15 or maybe even 20) on SF to begin with they probably could have sold it and not been out all the lost profit from ebay fees.

I mean, sell as high as you want, but don't expect things to sell on here for more money than they go for on ebay.

I dunno, there seems to be a lot of trust on this forum. So it's easier to buy without worrying about getting screwed on here than on eBay, even with feedback.

Not to mention, I'd rather spend an extra $5 or 10 buying from somebody I know and like, like Edmorel, than some random guy on eBay. Maybe not that I'd rather spend more, but I definitely wouldn't skip the sale just b/c Ed or someone else on here priced it barely higher than eBay.
post #105 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
Not to mention, I'd rather spend an extra $5 or 10 buying from somebody I know and like, like Edmorel, than some random guy on eBay. Maybe not that I'd rather spend more, but I definitely wouldn't skip the sale just b/c Ed or someone else on here priced it barely higher than eBay.

I do boggle when I see stuff here sell for considerably more than the same item on eBay, especially for commonly available items. But I agree, I tend to think there's less risk buying here. And, in terms of savings, waiting for eBay isn't always a safe bet, either: I've had stuff that didn't move here sell for considerably more at auction.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Buying and Selling (Archive)
Styleforum › Forums › Archives › Buying and Selling (Archive) › Change in B&S: A Trend or Permanent Shift?