or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Archives › Buying and Selling (Archive) › Change in B&S: A Trend or Permanent Shift?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Change in B&S: A Trend or Permanent Shift? - Page 8

post #106 of 133
Also, without trying to be a suckup, I'd like to thank J and the mods for all the effort they put into making B&S work as well as possible. I appreciate it both as a buyer and a seller.
post #107 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
I dunno, there seems to be a lot of trust on this forum. So it's easier to buy without worrying about getting screwed on here than on eBay, even with feedback.

Not to mention, I'd rather spend an extra $5 or 10 buying from somebody I know and like, like Edmorel, than some random guy on eBay. Maybe not that I'd rather spend more, but I definitely wouldn't skip the sale just b/c Ed or someone else on here priced it barely higher than eBay.

It's not just Ed. I have had excellent experiences with many of the sellers who have posted on this thread. Not a single problem.The more volume there is on this forum, the better for all of us.

Steven
post #108 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
I dunno, there seems to be a lot of trust on this forum. So it's easier to buy without worrying about getting screwed on here than on eBay, even with feedback.

Not to mention, I'd rather spend an extra $5 or 10 buying from somebody I know and like, like Edmorel, than some random guy on eBay. Maybe not that I'd rather spend more, but I definitely wouldn't skip the sale just b/c Ed or someone else on here priced it barely higher than eBay.

I would add to this that there is some additional value in buying from the forum in a several cases
I think that a number of both buyers and sellers are quite knowledgeable about fit, construction, history, etc, so that I often feel that I can buy something and know what I'll be getting without personal history. How many of us now own something made by Caruso based on what was learned here in B&S? I know that I have 3 suits and a jacket
the trust thing goes beyond the randomness on ebay.. the sellers here are very responsive in answering questions, taking more measurements, and being honest about what they're selling
NWOT on this forum tends to mean that someone bought something for themselves, took the tags off, and changed their mind.. as we all know, ebay NWOT usually means alterations have been made, or the item has been worn
to me, all of these qualities have value and if it means that items might be a touch more expensive, and it's not something available on every corner, it's worth that premium.
post #109 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by STYLESTUDENT View Post
It's not just Ed. I have had excellent experiences with many of the sellers who have posted on this thread. Not a single problem.The more volume there is on this forum, the better for all of us.

Steven

Very true. There are many sellers on here that are among the most reputable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drducky View Post
I would add to this that there is some additional value in buying from the forum in a several cases
I think that a number of both buyers and sellers are quite knowledgeable about fit, construction, history, etc, so that I often feel that I can buy something and know what I'll be getting without personal history. How many of us now own something made by Caruso based on what was learned here in B&S? I know that I have 3 suits and a jacket
the trust thing goes beyond the randomness on ebay.. the sellers here are very responsive in answering questions, taking more measurements, and being honest about what they're selling
NWOT on this forum tends to mean that someone bought something for themselves, took the tags off, and changed their mind.. as we all know, ebay NWOT usually means alterations have been made, or the item has been worn
to me, all of these qualities have value and if it means that items might be a touch more expensive, and it's not something available on every corner, it's worth that premium.

Well said. That's the idea I had in my mind, but couldn't put it to keyboard.
post #110 of 133
im pretty much the poster boy for new users here on SF. i came by SF by accident looking for an overcoat. now i religiously read the men's clothing forum, and glance at the B&S forum to see if there is anything i can purchase. while i understand i dont have the experience to really contribute to how things used to be, i personally find how things are now in the B&S forum rather helpful for me. i dont have the finances for some NWT items that some of the regular sellers have, but the occasional closet sale gives me a chance at some of what i call "SF quality" used items. maybe if some of the older members would rather it be the way it used to be, there needs to be a sub-forum for us looking to pick up their used items.

now since i consider myself an actual member of the SF board, i actually am looking forward to the day when i can sell my stuff on here. i personally voted for a above 100 posts in the poll because i think it would show that you have an idea if what you're trying to sell belongs on the board.

i actually found an ermenegildo zegna "casual" button up and a couple pairs of zanella and HF trousers while thrifting the other day, i only knew the brands because of a thread i saw on here. while they are my size, i know i got them to flip on here. what im waiting for now is help from a couple users in telling me if what i bought is worth putting them in a thread.
post #111 of 133
Thread Starter 
I have noted a tremendous change of late. I think the pickings now are as rich as they ever have been although, alas, not so many for the big fellas. An amazing reversal from what I observed a couple months back, lending credence to the wisdom of those who attributed it to fluctuations in the natural order of things.
post #112 of 133
I've stopped buying items in larger sizes, on the whole, as they do not sell or do not sell at anywhere near the same price. Same seems to apply on ebay. Size 40 chino lino in tan? $80. Size 34 chino lino in tan? More like $150-$250 (not my auctions, by the way).
post #113 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorse123 View Post
I've stopped buying items in larger sizes, on the whole, as they do not sell or do not sell at anywhere near the same price. Same seems to apply on ebay. Size 40 chino lino in tan? $80. Size 34 chino lino in tan? More like $150-$250 (not my auctions, by the way).

I scored a tan Inco in 34 for $45 the other day. Not sure how it slipped under the radar, but it did.
post #114 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
I scored a tan Inco in 34 for $45 the other day. Not sure how it slipped under the radar, but it did.
One possibility is that Inco reached saturation recently thanks to Daffy's - even in popular sizes like 34!
post #115 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerikajinda View Post
One possibility is that Inco reached saturation recently thanks to Daffy's - even in popular sizes like 34!

I thought so myself, but I was watching another pair yesterday that went for $85. Still, hope the bottom continues to drop out of the market.
post #116 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
I scored a tan Inco in 34 for $45 the other day. Not sure how it slipped under the radar, but it did.
I've actually seen the smaller sizes, like 36, not sell at all!
post #117 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post
I've actually seen the smaller sizes, like 36, not sell at all!
Sorry -- 36 is considered a smaller size?
post #118 of 133
I suspect he's talking about suit sizes.
post #119 of 133
Thread Starter 
I started this thing, and boy have we gotten our answer in spades! I cannot believe how much good stuff has been on here the last couple months. Maybe better than ever. Not a terrible lot in my size, but it's just been fun indulging my habit by proxy.
post #120 of 133
The market needs to fluctuate for it to work at all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Buying and Selling (Archive)
Styleforum › Forums › Archives › Buying and Selling (Archive) › Change in B&S: A Trend or Permanent Shift?