or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › As promised, pictures of my outfits
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

As promised, pictures of my outfits - Page 58

post #856 of 988
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomDiggs View Post
I would expect that a gospel performance would require a suit or something close. Admittedly, I don't know much about the scene, but for me church always = dressed nicely.

Rarely from the musicians. A suit sould be overdressed, especially for all the moving around, setup/breakdown, etc. And for a lot of the contemporary/urban gospel gigs the artists themselves wear jeans.

Suits are standard for Sunday. Background singers/choir are expected to own black, grey, and khaki slacks, and jeans. Musicians usually just jeans or all black.


And to the other poster, on my days off I fix/repair/build things, particularly at my church. Jeans and a t-shirt.
post #857 of 988
I joined SF just a few days ago, and soon thereafter I cam across this thread. I have read every single post, on every single page (pathetic, maybe, but its been like an epic novel) and I felt that as a new member of SF I needed to throw my hat in the ring.

Though I completely dislike most of Spiff's style choices, I am merely just saying it as my opinion. But, since that's all been said I do want to say one other thing:
Spiff,
You seem to lead a genuinely happy life and you clearly enjoy who you are and what you do on a daily basis. Though you may not peak the interests of the majority on this forum, being confident, and concerned with your appearance goes a long way in my book. And, like others have said, you seem like a nice dude, and your responses prove you to be a real gentleman -- something that a ginormous tie knot cant even take away (or hide, well, maybe hide).

Everyone, thanks for the entertainment! Having had read through this whole thread and participated I now feel like a true SF member.

btw -- this below comment (among MANY others) got REAL "LOL" from me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcuknu View Post
can you have the toes of your shoes taken in?
post #858 of 988
Spiffy

Everyone has been knocking you for the matching tie and pocket, but if that fashion is in style with your group then keep rocking it. Let us know how that Polo suit you got off ebay comes out.

Also, recently you seem to be buying suits with the ticket pocket (which is a good look). Have you been doing this on purpose or is it just a coincidence.
post #859 of 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHH89 View Post
Everyone has been knocking you for the matching tie and pocket, but if that fashion is in style with your group then keep rocking it.

congrats, you have just rendered this forum useless.
post #860 of 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcuknu View Post
congrats, you have just rendered this forum useless.

He previously stated that the matching tie and pocket square look is the normal look that everyone wears to his gospel and R&B functions. I think he is looking to improve his look when he is outside of these functions. I don't think he shouldn't show up to these functions in a tailored 2 button suit with a white OCBD and a red tie with stripes when everyone else is dressed with matching tie pocket squares and 6 button suits.

Personally I don't like the look but I am not going to pretend to know what the normal look is at these functions. I think Spiffy is hoping we can improve his look when he is not at these certain functions.

Spiffy-Please correct me if I am wrong
post #861 of 988
Yah, so? I have friends who wear socks with flip flops. The point of this board is not to say, he do what your friends do, it is to educate you how to dress like an iGent.
post #862 of 988
I agree with on the purpose but you don't wear a tux to the beach.
post #863 of 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHH89 View Post
I agree with on the purpose but you don't wear a tux to the beach.

Not even to a sunset wedding in Maui?
post #864 of 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
Not even to a sunset wedding in Maui?

No...
post #865 of 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHH89 View Post
I agree with on the purpose but you don't wear a tux to the beach.
Only in the evening. Otherwise it's strictly morning coat for surfing.
post #866 of 988
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJG_NYC View Post
I joined SF just a few days ago, and soon thereafter I cam across this thread. I have read every single post, on every single page (pathetic, maybe, but its been like an epic novel) and I felt that as a new member of SF I needed to throw my hat in the ring.

Though I completely dislike most of Spiff's style choices, I am merely just saying it as my opinion. But, since that's all been said I do want to say one other thing:
Spiff,
You seem to lead a genuinely happy life and you clearly enjoy who you are and what you do on a daily basis. Though you may not peak the interests of the majority on this forum, being confident, and concerned with your appearance goes a long way in my book. And, like others have said, you seem like a nice dude, and your responses prove you to be a real gentleman -- something that a ginormous tie knot cant even take away (or hide, well, maybe hide).

Everyone, thanks for the entertainment! Having had read through this whole thread and participated I now feel like a true SF member.

btw -- this below comment (among MANY others) got REAL "LOL" from me!

Thank you much for the kind words. Welcome to StyleForum.
post #867 of 988
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHH89 View Post
SpiffyEveryone has been knocking you for the matching tie and pocket, but if that fashion is in style with your group then keep rocking it. Let us know how that Polo suit you got off ebay comes out.

I prefer to have a different pocket square, but most of my ties come with them, and if I dont have time to mix and match, I use the matching one. It's better than no pocket square. Again, most people I know think the matching square is the peak of haute fashion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MHH89 View Post
Also, recently you seem to be buying suits with the ticket pocket (which is a good look). Have you been doing this on purpose or is it just a coincidence.

On purpose. I try not to buy a suit without one
post #868 of 988
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHH89 View Post
He previously stated that the matching tie and pocket square look is the normal look that everyone wears to his gospel and R&B functions. I think he is looking to improve his look when he is outside of these functions. I don't think he shouldn't show up to these functions in a tailored 2 button suit with a white OCBD and a red tie with stripes when everyone else is dressed with matching tie pocket squares and 6 button suits.

Personally I don't like the look but I am not going to pretend to know what the normal look is at these functions. I think Spiffy is hoping we can improve his look when he is not at these certain functions.

Spiffy-Please correct me if I am wrong

You are both right and wrong. I need to dress appropriate to my work, but I have some leeway. I'm never going to sacrifice my own taste. And I am learning more proper styles of dress from this forum. Certainly no one complain if I have a better fitting suit than most (what I am working on at the moment). They might say "is it too small?"

The incorrect point is, this has nothing to do with when I am not at work. If I am not at a gig, concert, or church, I am likely wearing jeans and a t-shirt or hooded sweatshirt. I fix ceiling fans, deconstruct buildings, remodel (primarily my church), work on cars, and plenty of other hobbies and side jobs that get pretty dirty. NOT going to be wearing a tailored 2 button suit with a white OCBD and a red tie with stripes to these either.
post #869 of 988
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHH89 View Post
I agree with on the purpose but you don't wear a tux to the beach.

I appreciate your point, thank you!
post #870 of 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy View Post
I prefer to have a different pocket square, but most of my ties come with them, and if I dont have time to mix and match, I use the matching one. It's better than no pocket square. Again, most people I know think the matching square is the peak of haute fashion. On purpose. I try not to buy a suit without one
White linen or cream silk pocket squares can be used with anything. Although, it might look a bit odd if the amount of square showing is dwarfed by the tie knot.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › As promised, pictures of my outfits