or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › As promised, pictures of my outfits
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

As promised, pictures of my outfits - Page 56

post #826 of 988
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers View Post
These are better than the others. Good job in giving a more conventional coat a try

It's not really a more conventional coat, just another thrift store find like most of this thread. It's just smaller. I believe it's a 42R.
post #827 of 988
Dude, this is actually passable! I mean only the jacket, everything else is terrible, but the jacket looks pretty good. I think it needs a pressing, right down to to that top button, and a simple white or blue shirt, a normal tie and, well, pretty much everything else... but big improvement.
post #828 of 988
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
I don't get it. Do you want people to PayPal you money so you can keep buying those horrible suits and post them in this 50+ page thread or so you can actually step back and get a decent suit?

Also, you could be wearing a bespoke Steed and that tie knot would fully negate the suit.

First things first, I want to have suits like this tapered, that is part one of my project:






I'm also starting to buy my stuff a size down. In my other current thread, bigbris1 suggested this RL suit on eBay, and I went ahead and bought it:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...3Dp3286.c0.m14

Does that count as stepping back and getting a decent suit? If not, I am open to suggestions. Under $150 and including a ticket pocket. 42L is probable but I posted my complete measurements in both threads.

The tie knots vary. Sometimes they are huge, sometimes normal, sometimes in between.
post #829 of 988
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me. View Post
+1. I think its a good fit. I really wish you'd tuck your shirt in though. but thats just me.

I used to detest the tucked look, now I'm toying with it. But having a dress shirt tucked into jeans seems so 'old man'.

These things take time.
post #830 of 988
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetnose View Post
The shoulders look good and the length is OK. Hard to tell about anything otherwise since you've raised your arms in all pics.

That being said, the lapels are huge and the fabric is OK...stripes are too bold IMO. But hey if you like it....

Hard to take a picture without raising at least one arm.

As for the blazer, it was a $6.99 thrift store find back when it was still a little big on me. Pulled it out for a conference Saturday for the heck of it. I'm sure it's quite old and dated.
post #831 of 988
Spiffy, I wouldn't spend money altering some of your older suits. For example, the jacket in the first pic above is obviously too big. Look at how the collar of the suit doesn't sit on your neck. While I do like the tie knot in that first pic, spending money on altering it is throwing money down the drain. Short of recutting the jacket, I doubt it will ever fit well. As far as that suit in the eBay link, the design is not my thing (a chalkstripe peak lapel), but if it fits well, then yes the construction and so forth would lead to a decent suit. The last suit you posted is a step forward in fit. While I'm not a fan of the proportion and size of the hacking pockets or lapels, the chest and shoulder fit as well as the buttoning points work in the right direction.
post #832 of 988
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
Fit looks much better on that one.

But please stop wearing pocket squares that perfectly match your tie.

I dont do it on the outfits I really care about. It's more of a "dont have time to dig out a complimentary square, but here's the one that comes with it, right here, crap I'm already late".

Many of us in my circles consider a matching tie and pocket square to be the pinnacle of fashion. They're even starting to do matching tie and vest combos. Reminds me of prom.
post #833 of 988
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
Dude, this is actually passable! I mean only the jacket, everything else is terrible, but the jacket looks pretty good. I think it needs a pressing, right down to to that top button, and a simple white or blue shirt, a normal tie and, well, pretty much everything else... but big improvement.

Thanks, I think . . .

You are saying the jacket is wrinkled? It's been in the closet forever, I can steam it.
post #834 of 988
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
Spiffy, I wouldn't spend money altering some of your older suits. For example, the jacket in the first pic above is obviously too big. Look at how the collar of the suit doesn't sit on your neck. While I do like the tie knot in that first pic, spending money on altering it is throwing money down the drain. Short of recutting the jacket, I doubt it will ever fit well.

I actually already had that (supposedly) fixed. Apparently it was because of the placement of the armholes, and so the back had to be . . . something? It was a 44R, they had sent me by mistake and I couldnt get an exchange so I got it altered to what you see in the pic. That's without any tapering which I still plan to have done. Did they not fix the back correctly?

What about the rest of the suits? In the pic that shoes the shoes, that is the same suit as the first pic, just a different color and a Long instead of a Regular.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
As far as that suit in the eBay link, the design is not my thing (a chalkstripe peak lapel), but if it fits well, then yes the construction and so forth would lead to a decent suit.

I prefer pinstripe to chalkstripe, but I couldnt really tell how this looked from the pictures. I am hoping I like it. I was thinking any brand you guys approve of couldnt be an ugly suit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
The last suit you posted is a step forward in fit. While I'm not a fan of the proportion and size of the hacking pockets or lapels, the chest and shoulder fit as well as the buttoning points work in the right direction.

You mean the blazer? See above, it's just a random thrift store find, Lapels are too big for my tastes.
post #835 of 988
Thread Starter 
Today was Sunday, therefore church. I got a couple pics on the organ. I'm sure no one will like this suit. At least the pocket square is a different pattern!



post #836 of 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac View Post
just like 95% of men don't know what a 3-2 roll is, 95% of women think this is "dressing up". Let's face it, positive reinforcement from clueless women is a huge factor in dressing badly.

This
post #837 of 988
At this rate you'll look presentable in 2016.
post #838 of 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy View Post
Thanks, I think . . .
You are saying the jacket is wrinkled? It's been in the closet forever, I can steam it.

Yeah, sorry. it wasn't glowing praise... It's like you bought crappy ingredients and managed to make a good meal. It's a good meal, but it's not 5 star, but that's all you had to work with. So you've done a good job with not great materials... still, you'd be better off getting better stuff but I respect your situation (in terms of money, age, crowd, etc)

no, not wrinkled. The lapel roll, it rolls to finish at a point that's a good inch or two about the top button... It should sort of "roll" right to the button. Look at the WAYW pics, you'll see. It just needs to be pressed a bit.
post #839 of 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac View Post
just like 95% of men don't know what a 3-2 roll is, 95% of women think this is "dressing up". Let's face it, positive reinforcement from clueless women is a huge factor in dressing badly.

there is no way that 5% of men know what a 3-2 roll is.

Dressing well is rare and requires time and effort to work out the details.
post #840 of 988
Sometimes I honestly think this is a farce, no way can this man be real.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › As promised, pictures of my outfits