or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Restaurant Recommendations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Restaurant Recommendations - Page 88

post #1306 of 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post

THe one in NY is unrelated. It's not a bad restaurant, but Il Posto Accanto across the street is better, IMO.
Never been to the one in NY, but the one in SF is my favorite Italian restaurant in SF.
post #1307 of 1367
Anyone been to e by Jose Andres yet? http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/dining/at-e-by-jose-andres-theyre-eating-out-of-the-palm-of-his-hand.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Wondering if I should try and get in when I'm there in May?
post #1308 of 1367
I have - I think I put a review somewhere.

It was very good. It was not the BEST meal I've ever had, and it was certainly pricey. I'd go back to Sage before I'd go back to E bar.

I'll see if I can find it.

Salt-crusted whole lobe of foie was nice... I have a pic of that I can post. Secreto d'iberco also a memorable course, as well as clam encased in its own liquor turned into a gelee and a few of the desserts.
post #1309 of 1367
Sage over e? Interesting. What's Sage like?
post #1310 of 1367
post #1311 of 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Sage over e? Interesting. What's Sage like?

It's a solid new-american. Shawn McClain is the chef; he was 2nd in the Trio legacy:

1> Rick Tramonto and Gale Gand - left Trio to open Tru
2> Shawn McClain - left Trio to open Spring, Green Zebra and Custom House in Chicago. Spring is now shuttered, but had a brilliant run.
3> Grant Achatz - Left Trio to open Alinea, Next and Aviary

I thought it was astoundingly good.
post #1312 of 1367
Had dinner at Picholine with whnay last night. Really fantastic. Ordered the sea urchin panna cotta, suckling pig, and deconstructed pecan pie dessert. The most refined take on suckling pig I've had. It was truly painful having to pick one thing from another off the menu. They brought us four or five rounds of amuse bouche. We think they were amused by whnay's southern accent and were inspired to amuse us in return.

Clearly this place flies under the radar. Conspicuous number of Asian diners, though. Easily two thirds of the restaurant. Those people make me uncomfortable.
post #1313 of 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Had dinner at Picholine with whnay last night. Really fantastic. Ordered the sea urchin panna cotta, suckling pig, and deconstructed pecan pie dessert. The most refined take on suckling pig I've had. It was truly painful having to pick one thing from another off the menu. They brought us four or five rounds of amuse bouche. We think they were amused by whnay's southern accent and were inspired to amuse us in return.

Clearly this place flies under the radar. Conspicuous number of Asian diners, though. Easily two thirds of the restaurant. Those people make me uncomfortable.

This sounds like a disaster.

I bet the pig was great though, how was it prepared/presented?

Maybe they thought whnay was that guy from Game of Thrones confused.gif
post #1314 of 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post



Maybe they thought whnay was that guy from Game of Thrones confused.gif

What you went and done there... I done seen it.
post #1315 of 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Anyone been to e by Jose Andres yet? http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/dining/at-e-by-jose-andres-theyre-eating-out-of-the-palm-of-his-hand.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Wondering if I should try and get in when I'm there in May?

Not been to e' but jaleo is great. Post a review if you get a chance to go!
post #1316 of 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGent View Post

Not been to e' but jaleo is great. Post a review if you get a chance to go!


Its good, but it was better a decade ago. Irks me to no end that they now serve Spanish Tortilla hot. I did not order an omlette.
post #1317 of 1367
It's been a while since I've been there, but I remember that I had a pork sausage with sautéed beans that was outstanding. I've tried to recreate those beans but can't do it!! It's like trying to make a Frosty at home.
post #1318 of 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Its good, but it was better a decade ago. Irks me to no end that they now serve Spanish Tortilla hot. I did not order an omlette.

It's perfectly normal to serve them warm.
post #1319 of 1367
I worked in a Spanish restaurant and the chef (Basque) would make them at 9 am so they were cool enough to serve at lunch. I'm sure somewhere in Spain they serve them as an omelet, but its not very good to my taste. I came in once on a day off to watch how its done, its a favorite around my house. Esquire recently had a great recipe for one, some nice nuances I tried and worked.

BTW, my ex had a redneck sister who put ketchup on one I made.
post #1320 of 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGent View Post

It's been a while since I've been there, but I remember that I had a pork sausage with sautéed beans that was outstanding. I've tried to recreate those beans but can't do it!! It's like trying to make a Frosty at home.

The goat cheese filled peppers were also fantastic. Their patatas bravas were also well executed as well as salted cod.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Restaurant Recommendations