or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Restaurant Recommendations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Restaurant Recommendations - Page 85

post #1261 of 1368
The promo video is pretty cool
post #1262 of 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpapa View Post

Am I the only one who thinks this place is circling the drain? I've probably eaten there half a dozen times in the last year and each meal is weaker than the last, with thinner crowds at every visit.

had lunch there last friday and couldn't have been more disappointed. only redemption was the blueberry+cream cookie available on the way out.
post #1263 of 1368
post #1264 of 1368
Went to Lupa for lunch on Saturday and was stunned by the appalling mediocrity of the food and service. Literally as close to airplane food as I've had at a restaurant in a while. If this wasn't a Batali place, first prices would be 40% lower, then it would have closed already. Full of asian tourists with their noses in their guidebooks... sad, and to think that it has a 25 on Zagat facepalm.gif
post #1265 of 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Went to Lupa for lunch on Saturday and was stunned by the appalling mediocrity of the food and service. Literally as close to airplane food as I've had at a restaurant in a while. If this wasn't a Batali place, first prices would be 40% lower, then it would have closed already. Full of asian tourists with their noses in their guidebooks... sad, and to think that it has a 25 on Zagat facepalm.gif

Lupa is dreadful and the service at all Batali restaurants besides Del Posto (which I figured would be the most obnoxious, too bad the food isn't spectacular) is atrocious. Staffed by clueless young dipshits who try to pass themselves off as experts on Italian cuisine...it's embarrassing. Try sending back a horribly undercooked, crunchy pasta at any of his places without being lectured on how pasta is prepared al dente in Italy. Manzo and even some of the quick lunch spots in Eataly have been far better in my experience, two or three dishes from Babbo and Del Posto aside.

Anyway, I recently went to Il Buco Alimentari and had a great meal. Some will inevitably be disappointed if they made too much of the NYT review and then went nuts trying to get a reservation, but it is certainly better than the vast majority of rustic Italian that has completely saturated NYC.
post #1266 of 1368
Had both Dry Creek Kitchen and Cyrus this weekend.

Dry Creek was excellent, the best food I've had in California yet.
post #1267 of 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by countdemoney View Post

Had both Dry Creek Kitchen and Cyrus this weekend.

Dry Creek was excellent, the best food I've had in California yet.

Really? Nothing against Charlie but we found Cyrus superior to Dry Creek. We stayed at HH though and loved his hotel. Suites are not that big but staff is great, location is great, and the experience was nice.

There's a little restaurant between HH and Cyrus, Charcuterie, where we had a very nice meal with none other than K-Silk.
post #1268 of 1368
Cyrus had a few service errors to detract from the meal. Neither of us eat seafood and they were good enough to accommodate us with menu substitutions - and then she serves the amuse bouche - abalone. I didn't raise a fuss, there was a whole tasting menu to go.

Strongest plate at Cyrus was the risotto.The bartender was stellar, my Americano was as good as I've had in Milan and it actually took me back in my mind. If anything, all the non-plate items (tour through flavors, cheese course, wine pairings, dessert) were quite good. With the exception of the risotto, the plates themselves were weak. Both of us were also mildly ill after Cyrus.

In comparison, each of our three courses at Dry Creek Kitchen were excellent.

Cyrus is also closing in October, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.
post #1269 of 1368
When we were at Cyrus the menu was pretty strong. The most surprisingly good dish was a vegetarian one, the black truffle pot pie.
post #1270 of 1368
We were sad about it, even my non styleforum friends had only good things to say about Cyrus. Sic transit gloria mundi.
post #1271 of 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac21686 View Post

Lupa is dreadful and the service at all Batali restaurants besides Del Posto (which I figured would be the most obnoxious, too bad the food isn't spectacular) is atrocious. Staffed by clueless young dipshits who try to pass themselves off as experts on Italian cuisine...it's embarrassing. Try sending back a horribly undercooked, crunchy pasta at any of his places without being lectured on how pasta is prepared al dente in Italy. Manzo and even some of the quick lunch spots in Eataly have been far better in my experience, two or three dishes from Babbo and Del Posto aside.
Anyway, I recently went to Il Buco Alimentari and had a great meal. Some will inevitably be disappointed if they made too much of the NYT review and then went nuts trying to get a reservation, but it is certainly better than the vast majority of rustic Italian that has completely saturated NYC.

I had a wonderful experience about a year ago at Po.
post #1272 of 1368
Batali's not been affiliated with Po for several years (probably many years at this point). Disregard if you were responding to the Il Buco paragraph.
post #1273 of 1368
Heading to Vegas this weekend for a bachelor party and I've been charged with planning Saturday's dinner. I've got reservations at the following restaurants: Picasso, STK, Carnevino, RM Seafood Upstairs, or Michael Mina. Any advice on which to choose or other suggestions?
post #1274 of 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post

Heading to Vegas this weekend for a bachelor party and I've been charged with planning Saturday's dinner. I've got reservations at the following restaurants: Picasso, STK, Carnevino, RM Seafood Upstairs, or Michael Mina. Any advice on which to choose or other suggestions?

Going to depend on your tastes but I would go 100% for Picasso off that list. It might not be the best place for a bachelor party though. For that I'd probably do the Batalli spot.
post #1275 of 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Going to depend on your tastes but I would go 100% for Picasso off that list. It might not be the best place for a bachelor party though. For that I'd probably do the Batalli spot.

Thanks, I was thinking a steakhouse might be best for that sort of occasion but Picasso is hard to pass up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Restaurant Recommendations