• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fancy Restaurant Attire

GuP

Reaction score
I am going to be taking my girlfriend to Daniel's, a fancy NYC restaurant, for her birthday. I was wondering if you guys could recommend what to wear. The restaurant states explicitly that a jacket is required. I was just thinking of wearing my navy suit, with a skinny navy tie and some black AE PAs. Is that an acceptable choice of clothes? Or would it be too much of a business-meeting look? I don't really have another suit that I could wear. The navy is the only nice one that I have. As always, thanks for the advice!

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have been to Daniel's a few times for dinner and have usually opted for a nice sportcoat (I rarely wear suits at social occasions). A suit works just as well, though I would suggest that you wear a livelier tie to avoid the "business meeting look."

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GuP
I am going to be taking my girlfriend to Daniel's, a fancy NYC restaurant, for her birthday. I was wondering if you guys could recommend what to wear. The restaurant states explicitly that a jacket is required. I was just thinking of wearing my navy suit, with a skinny navy tie and some black AE PAs. Is that an acceptable choice of clothes? Or would it be too much of a business-meeting look? I don't really have another suit that I could wear. The navy is the only nice one that I have. As always, thanks for the advice!

What about a more formal looking sports coat and complimentary trousers? You could wear an open-collared shirt, and look quite smart...

WestIndianArchie

Reaction score
Kinda on topic

The jacket only places - are you supposed to keep the jacket on during the meal?

I went to the Prime Rib (here in DC) couple months ago, and I suffered through that pretty heavenly meal with my suit.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WestIndianArchie
Kinda on topic

The jacket only places - are you supposed to keep the jacket on during the meal?

I went to the Prime Rib (here in DC) couple months ago, and I suffered through that pretty heavenly meal with my suit.

If as I understand your meaning, you are implying that wearing your suit inflicted suffering on you, you urgently need a new suit--one that fits you properly!

Meursault

Reaction score
Kinda on topic

Yes, though degrees of enforcement vary. Otherwise what would be the point of asking you to bring the jacket in the first place?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda on topic

Yes, and, if the suit fits, whats to suffer?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Out to dinner in general, I wear a suit and tie or jacket and tie. Holes in the wall are the exception.

GuP

Reaction score
Gentleman, thanks for the suggestions. I, too, was wondeirng if you keep your jacket on all the time. And now I know!

The suggestions about the sportcoats - the thing is that I don't really have any sportcoats. I just have this one navy suit. I guess I can always go out and buy a sportcoat but I rather not.

HomerJ - I just looked in the closet and found a pink shirt that I have never worn before. It's a tyrwhitt shirt with cufflinks. I bought it on impulse and have never found an occasion to wear it. I alos just noticed that it's a 16/34 and I usually wear a 15-15.5/33-4 slim fit shirts in Brooks Brothers. Can I get the shirt tailored and taken in on the sides so that it fits better and doesn't dangle too much? OR just leave since I will be wearing a jacket all the time anyway?

Suggestions about a tie?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the neck fits, any tailor/seamstress ought be able to bring in the sides a bit for you. Under the suit, would likely be fine as well.

WestIndianArchie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Yes, and, if the suit fits, whats to suffer?

- undershirt
- cotton dress shirt
- wool suit
- silk tie

= hot

I can't see how a better fitting suit would make it more comfortable.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- undershirt
- cotton dress shirt
- wool suit
- silk tie

= hot

I can't see how a better fitting suit would make it more comfortable.

Ditch the undershirt, go with a lighter suit. Tie ought not add that much. Sorry, but if the restaurant is overheated, just maybe. Otherwise, really ought keep jacket on.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how about wearing the navy suit jacket with a dress-up jeans, nice pair of shoes and ditch the tie?

you don't want to look too business like or look as if you are ready to propose.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Out to dinner in general, I wear a suit and tie or jacket and tie. Holes in the wall are the exception.

I applaud you, but people in San Francisco must stare at you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads