or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Fancy Restaurant Attire
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fancy Restaurant Attire - Page 2

post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIndianArchie View Post
- undershirt
- cotton dress shirt
- wool suit
- silk tie

= hot

I can't see how a better fitting suit would make it more comfortable.

Do you know what the weight of the cloth used in your suit was? I should think you would want to be fairly warmly dressed in DC in midwinter. I'm wearing an undershirt, cotton dress shirt, wool tie and 12-ounce Shetland tweed jacket on this early spring day as I sit in my office in Southern California, and I'm kind of chilly. I can only imagine that if heat is the issue, that restaurant must have been stifling hot!
post #17 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post
I applaud you, but people in San Francisco must stare at you.
I don't think anybody ever notices.
post #18 of 42
I know per se send you home if you are in jeans (and not famous). I wouldn't risk it on Daniel.
post #19 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post
Do you know what the weight of the cloth used in your suit was? I should think you would want to be fairly warmly dressed in DC in midwinter. I'm wearing an undershirt, cotton dress shirt, wool tie and 12-ounce Shetland tweed jacket on this early spring day as I sit in my office in Southern California, and I'm kind of chilly. I can only imagine that if heat is the issue, that restaurant must have been stifling hot!

I may just be warm blooded.

I break a sweat playing pool.
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIndianArchie View Post
Kinda on topic The jacket only places - are you supposed to keep the jacket on during the meal?
Yes. But take your hat off while at the table.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIndianArchie View Post
I went to the Prime Rib (here in DC) couple months ago, and I suffered through that pretty heavenly meal with my suit.
You should not be suffering. The suit should be tailored to fit you perfectly and it should be an appropriate weight and weave for the season to avoid overheating.
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIndianArchie View Post
I may just be warm blooded. I break a sweat playing pool.
You must will yourself not to sweat. That is how the aristocrats do it.
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post
I applaud you, but people in San Francisco must stare at you.

I always wear a suit and tie out to dinners in SF and I think most people are too wrapped up in themselves to notice. Of course, when I was at The Dining Room at the Rtiz, most all the male diners were in suits and ties WITH pocket squares. Compare this to the French Laundry where I was the only one in a suit, all the other men had the sportcoat and open shirt look.
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIndianArchie View Post
Kinda on topic

The jacket only places - are you supposed to keep the jacket on during the meal?


Yes.
post #24 of 42
Thread Starter 
So navy suit with a bright pink shirt and AE PAs? Is the pink shirt okay? What kinda tie will be ideal?
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmprisons View Post
I know per se send you home if you are in jeans (and not famous). I wouldn't risk it on Daniel.
I concur. I've eaten at Daniels and can't imagine they would seat you if you appeared in jeans.

The ambience at Daniels, similar to Per Se, is not conducive to jeans regardless of how dressy they may appear to be.
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roikins View Post
Of course, when I was at The Dining Room at the Rtiz, most all the male diners were in suits and ties WITH pocket squares.

I noticed this there, too. The level of formality at The Dining Room at the Ritz was exceptionally high on multiple dimensions. Great meal, too.
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
I noticed this there, too. The level of formality at The Dining Room at the Ritz was exceptionally high on multiple dimensions. Great meal, too.

Yeah, I believe a large part is due to the fact that many of the diners there are international travelers staying in the hotel whom are more accustomed to formal dining. And the food was fantastic -- too bad Siegel will be leaving, but hopefully it'll make the new Myth even better.
post #28 of 42
1 - Daniel's is the bagel place on 3rd Avenue and 37th Street. They have great bagels but couldn't give a shit if you wear a suit. 2 - If you're going to Daniel, flagship restaurant of Daniel Boulud in New York, you should wear a suit. You should keep your jacket on. They'll ask you to replace it or leave should you remove it. 3 - You're likely to spend ~$500 for dinner between you and your companion. If you can afford to spend this much on dinner, you should be able to sit in a suite for the three hours that it will take you to enjoy it. There are some people who prefer not to wear a suit to a meal like this. They have other options in NYC, many of whom serve food at or close to on par with that of Daniel. Think of it as a private club with a dress code that chooses to permit others to enter. Accept it, revel in it, and go with it. If you must wear jeans to dinner, skip it
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roikins View Post
Yeah, I believe a large part is due to the fact that many of the diners there are international travelers staying in the hotel whom are more accustomed to formal dining. And the food was fantastic -- too bad Siegel will be leaving, but hopefully it'll make the new Myth even better.

I recall the Dining Room at the SF Ritz when Siegel was still at Masa's. The room was filled with ancient people, about 400 years old, dining with their grandfathers. For fun, I paid the harpist to play Stairway to Heaven. Food was only okay for the price (Masa's at that time was better), but they served NV Krug champagne by the glass which I liked. The dress was old money conservative, with the emphasis on old.

The French Laundry was more relaxed. I was there last summer, and the dress was somewhat casual. Khakis and sportcoat (or ... just khakis). Suits were rare, but it is wine country after all. Food was better 10+ years ago. Once I got complimentary Billecart Salmon champagne while waiting.

Restaurant Daniel was more formal. I was there about a half year ago and saw most men wearing sportscoat or suit. A few were wearing suits sans tie. The formality was on the same level as the Ritz Dining room (when I visited), but in a totally different century. The food was probably better than the French Laundry a few months earlier, but neither that great.

--ortolan

post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortolan View Post
I recall the Dining Room at the SF Ritz when Siegel was still at Masa's. The room was filled with ancient people, about 400 years old, dining with their grandfathers. For fun, I paid the harpist to play Stairway to Heaven. Food was only okay for the price (Masa's at that time was better), but they served NV Krug champagne by the glass which I liked. The dress was old money conservative, with the emphasis on old.



I ate at The Dining Room at the Ritz (SF) when Siegel was at Masa's, and I also ate at Masa's. My experience at TDR was much different than what you describe. I enjoyed everything about the experience. The patrons were significantly younger than what you witnessed, myself included.

I agree that Daniels was/is a bit more formal, but only slightly. At both restaurants every gent was with jacket and tie. All three restaurants - TDR, Masa, Daniels - have at one point been on my all time Top 10 list. I've not eaten at the French Laundry but I have dined at its sister restaurant, Per Se.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Fancy Restaurant Attire