• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear for jury duty?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
conservative is always good, but really doesn't matter. Also depend on what the trial is about.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you want to get picked as a juror or dismissed?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jeans and shirt is fine. wear a suit if you're the defendant.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Do you want to get picked as a juror or dismissed?

Wear a miniskirt and high heels.
mwink[1].gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You are under absolutely no obligation to dress well. In fact, the better you are dressed, the less likely it is that a defense lawyer will allow you to sit on his jury. If you want to be dismissed almost instantly after you are called, wear a full suit and try to look as much like a businessman as possible. If you want to serve on the jury, jeans and t-shirt will be fine.

Most people will be dressed like the normal slobs they always are.

WestIndianArchie

Reaction score
I know attorneys that oddly enough get past voir dire (vooor dyer like we used to say in texas, Vhaw deer (ay?) like they say in the rest of the US).

If you want to get picked, dress casual and say nothing.

If you don't want to get picked, I'd say dress up...but you must say something, "like that guy looks guilty, or I don't think I'd be a good juror because my family member has been a victim of the crime at issue." This way you can be struck for cause and not per-emptory.

But if you're mad @ the justice system, for not convicting or wrongly convicting, by all means this is the one time you get to have a say.

stevejobs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WestIndianArchie
I know attorneys that oddly enough get past voir dire (vooor dyer like we used to say in texas, Vhaw deer (ay?) like they say in the rest of the US).

If you want to get picked, dress casual and say nothing.

If you don't want to get picked, I'd say dress up...but you must say something, "like that guy looks guilty, or I don't think I'd be a good juror because my family member has been a victim of the crime at issue." This way you can be struck for cause and not per-emptory.

But if you're mad @ the justice system, for not convicting or wrongly convicting, by all means this is the one time you get to have a say.

To pick up your line of thought...isn't it easy as hell to get out of jury duty by flatly stating you cannot be fair and impartial?

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to sound too sober on my first post but I've been practicing law for over 15 years. Most lawyers put a lot of time and effort into their cases and the stakes are important to the clients. It is really unfair to everyone for a juror to have a secret agenda. I'd suggest that you dress as you would normaly dress for any semi-formal event and answer the voir dire questions honestly. You'd be a better person for your efforts.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
most importantly bring an ipod and/or a good book since you'll just sit there all day and do nothing

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brax
I hate to sound too sober on my first post but I've been practicing law for over 15 years. Most lawyers put a lot of time and effort into their cases and the stakes are important to the clients. It is really unfair to everyone for a juror to have a secret agenda. I'd suggest that you dress as you would normaly dress for any semi-formal event and answer the voir dire questions honestly. You'd be a better person for your efforts.

This is off topic, but I agree with this 100%. I clerked for a Federal Judge and he would always initially address the jury during voir dire with, and I paraphrase: "After military service, there is no greater service you can provide to your country than serving as a juror."

Mr T

Reaction score
I don't have a derby. But I also have never been summoned for jury duty. If I am ever called I will wear cordovan so I can at least admire my own shoes while waiting.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You dress in khakis and a sweater and you ********** your duty.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads