• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of JLP Bespoke Fitting

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://openers.jp/fashion/fashion_sp...lements10.html

The gentlemen being fitted is the CEO of United Arrows; the fitter is Francois Madonini. According to JLP a leather fit shoe is available: (1) generally for an extra charge, or (2) if the customer has problem feet and the plastic fit shoes are not working.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea there was a cutting-up-the-shoe part of the process.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nice pics - thanks Kuro

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I once asked a shoemaker on the value of cutting up the leather fitting shoe. His reply was that its nothing more than mere "theatrics." Wonder who is right?

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Wow, I had no idea there was a cutting-up-the-shoe part of the process.

Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I once asked a shoemaker on the value of cutting up the leather fitting shoe. His reply was that its nothing more than mere "theatrics." Wonder who is right?

Now that I've seen a picture, it seems a waste to do so. With a proper sole and heel those fit shoes look better than some RTW shoes that I've seen...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wouldn't cutting open the fitting shoe allow the fitter to get a look at how the foot fits inside that would otherwise be impossible?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was previously of the view that it was likely theatrics. But done in the way shown here, I can see how some useful information could be had by cutting it open.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Wouldn't cutting open the fitting shoe allow the fitter to get a look at how the foot fits inside that would otherwise be impossible?

I've heard that is one of the benefits for the use of clear plastic fitting shoes...

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I was previously of the view that it was likely theatrics. But done in the way shown here, I can see how some useful information could be had by cutting it open.

Someone should put on a Kiton suit and check how it fits the same way.
devil.gif

TIEALIGN

Reaction score
It seems to me that it would give the fitter a better look at where exactly your foot is inside the shoe...so I would think its more than simple theatrics. If you liked those pics you might be interested in this video. It shows the complete construction of a shoe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhM8y...eature=related

NativeTxn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade

Plus you could ask to keep the fitting shoe after they were done with it, and get two items for the price of one! That fitting shoe in photo 10 would make a great sandal to wear to the beach, or just around town with shorts and a polo.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I once asked a shoemaker on the value of cutting up the leather fitting shoe. His reply was that its nothing more than mere "theatrics."
I can understand the cutting in case of a tight fit, as you will see how much extra room that pinkie toe or that bunion needs.

In this particular case, I cannot understand it, as to me, the shoe looks rather on the loose, even sluggish side.

See how the lacing already closes edge to edge,

01_05_jh037.jpg

the excessive room in front of the toe (at least 1¼" = 3cm, I would guess),

080221_99jh057.jpg

the heel looks nowhere squashed-in.

01_11_jh058.jpg

If this was a ready-to-wear shoe, I would suggest going ½ size down.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

yes i wonder this too, if you can con feel the foot placement then seeing it is not going to much help imo

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
I can understand the cutting in case of a tight fit, as you will see how much extra room that pinkie toe or that bunion needs.

In this particular case, I cannot understand it, as to me, the shoe looks rather on the loose, even sluggish side.

See how the lacing already closes edge to edge,

01_05_jh037.jpg

the excessive room in front of the toe (at least 1¼" = 3cm, I would guess),

080221_99jh057.jpg

the heel looks nowhere squashed-in.

01_11_jh058.jpg

If this was a ready-to-wear shoe, I would suggest going ½ size down.

well apart from peanuts i wonder what else you could be smuggling with that much extra space

and the say G&G's shoes are snouty!
bounce2.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads