• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people hate on jeans like rock & republics and sfam?

jok5tr

Reaction score
i'm new to the forum and just by a quick look through it, it seems like a lot of people are really against premium denim like rock & republic, sfam, and true religions. instead, they opt for brands like apc and nudies. why is that?

hi-val

Reaction score
As I see it, the reason is that the quality of the materials and workmanship isn't up. For what you're paying for them retail, you could be getting other jeans that have the good construction and styling. They don't make raw selvedge, which is the trend on the forum. They are really distinctively branded, which makes the reverse pretention of not wanting any logos hard. They're seen as "mall jeans". Some of the h8 is warranted, some is unwarranted.

Part of it is that a lot of people buy 7s because they're 7s, not because of actual clothing factors.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Generally speaking, SFAM, Rock & Republic, TR, etc. form their brand image around what is widely recognized as "looking like a douchebag." They both have more subtle offerings and while the quality is generally not up to par, they can be cut rather well. You just can't expect anything spectacular out of them.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have some ridiculous looking jeans but they also have ones that imo can look pretty good.

But i usually cant justify their price anyway. That also goes for a lot of raw jeans that are liked in the forum as well.

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
They're ubiquitous mall brands with prices mostly fueled by their brand name. Nudie is beginning to get some hate due to their raising popularity. It won't be long till they are synonymous with looking like a douchebag. This forum tends to not favour looking like every other normal civilians.

markb

Reaction score
Some people hate jeans because many jeans are like cheap hotels - no ball room.

Studio27

Reaction score
Originally Posted by markb
Some people hate jeans because many jeans are like cheap hotels - no ball room.
there are a lot of jeans without ball room that get love -- pbj's come to mind. it's the ubiquity, terrible distressing (generally), and the associations with the people who wear them (them being mall brands) that merits the hate. The milder options (dark wash, little-to-no artificial wear) don't get as much hostility, but there's generally a better option for the money.

ok1234

Reaction score
because they are played out and gaudy

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate them because there is absolutely nothing about the jeans to warrant the price tag they get, other than the "OMG DID YOU SEE MY TRUE RELIGION JEANS???"-factor.

I really dislike their artificial distressing. If you compare mall brands to distressing like 5ep or Earnest Sewn you can see a pretty big quality difference. Also the huge branding all over the jeans is an instant deal breaker to me. The R&R back pocket stitching is a joke.

I wonder how sales would be if TR or R&R released a pair of denim that was exactly the same as one of their top selling pairs, but with no branding. I bet it would bomb.

Originally Posted by Mr. Potato
Nudie is beginning to get some hate due to their raising popularity.

I've always disliked Nudie, but for good reason. They have way more blowouts than any other brand, imo they are overpriced (not by a ton though), and I think their back pocket stitching is pretty ugly, one of the worst of raw denim brands. The neon orange thread they use also doesn't help at all.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Potato
They're ubiquitous mall brands with prices mostly fueled by their brand name. Nudie is beginning to get some hate due to their raising popularity. It won't be long till they are synonymous with looking like a douchebag. This forum tends to not favour looking like every other normal civilians.

Instead they all favour looking like everyone else on StyleForum.

stirpot.gif

gooberdude

Reaction score
For me, the distaste is less about the jeans and more about horseshoe shaped stitching on guy's asses.

datasupa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jok5tr
i'm new to the forum and just by a quick look through it, it seems like a lot of people are really against premium denim like rock & republic, sfam, and true religions. instead, they opt for brands like apc and nudies. why is that?

what do you mean by 'premium'

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by datasupa
what do you mean by 'premium'

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
True Religon, Seven for All Mankind, Citizens of Humanity, Rock & Republic are classified as premium denim brands.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads