or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Why do people hate on jeans like rock & republics and sfam?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why do people hate on jeans like rock & republics and sfam? - Page 2

post #16 of 355
Try honestforum.com
post #17 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by datasupa View Post
what do you mean by 'premium'
I could be totally wrong on this but I thought "premium" brands were the ones that focused on high quality but the name wasn't exactly the selling point: Sugar Cane, 5EP, R&B, Samurai, etc... While "Designer" brands would be the big name guys like Diesel, Dior Homme, R&R, TR, etc... with varying levels of quality.... I guess in some cases like Dior Homme you might have a combo of both. Is this right?
post #18 of 355
To the industry and retailers Premium Denim is 7FAM, RR, TR, etc.

I'm not sure what they are calling Sugar Cane and all of that stuff. Perhaps it has shifted and now those things are premium, 7FAM is designer and DH is luxury.

Dior Homme, Gucci, Louis Vuitton etc would be designer.
post #19 of 355
premium denim is anything that costs more than 20 dollar Levi's.

~fini~
post #20 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by jok5tr View Post
i'm new to the forum and just by a quick look through it, it seems like a lot of people are really against premium denim like rock & republic, sfam, and true religions. instead, they opt for brands like apc and nudies. why is that?

Because they look shitty, they fit shitty, their quality is shitty and their price is outrageous.

You can buy crappy looking denim of poor quality for 30 bucks at your local suburban mall, you don't need to pay True Religion 300 to make you look stupid.
post #21 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by datasupa View Post
what do you mean by 'premium'

He means "expensive."
post #22 of 355
The Rock & Republic (?) that I saw at the store looked ridiculous with the stuff on the backpockets. I think that kind of decoration looks better on women.
post #23 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC View Post
I'm not sure what they are calling Sugar Cane and all of that stuff.
I would like to take the opportunity here to define the nomenclature of the the SugarCane, 5ep, R&B, Samurai, etc. jean. I'm calling them "Purist" jeans. Now, runteldat.
post #24 of 355
Premium = the price you pay for the marketing budget
post #25 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clench Million View Post
Because they look shitty, they fit shitty, their quality is shitty and their price is outrageous.

You can buy crappy looking denim of poor quality for 30 bucks at your local suburban mall, you don't need to pay True Religion 300 to make you look stupid.
Whilst I have a lot of disregard for the products mentioned this is an uneducated and "retarded" response to the question.

The fits aren't shitty, especially the women's jeans. Any company that can make a cellulite riddled arse look like the Holy Grail are onto something.
Perhaps the washes, especially the vintage with faux whiskers is particularly lame to those with a stronger knowledge/passion for natural fading. The quality is actually very good in terms of where products can be made in the world. Sewn and washed in Los Angeles by workers on a competitive wage (Not children in China working for pennies), fabrics are sourced from Italy and Japan for the most part. Washes are done domestically and vintage treatments are produced individually by hand. Now that these companies are transitioning to Mexico for production the sew and wash standards may slip.
Price is reflective of cost to produce. The chain stores are the biggest culprits of final retail price, many markup 2.7 from the brands wholesale cost. If it costs 7fam $60 to produce and they wholesale at $120 many retailers will almost triple that wholesale versus a fair double, instead of paying $240 you find a sticker price of $324.

As for the main question of being labeled lame, it's mostly about the demographic buying into the marketing and celebrity hype rather than the integrity of the products.
post #26 of 355
Thank you lord for rationality. I've been arguing forever that these products are not "garbage", and that very male rationalizations for buying some expensive products over others ("quality*, longevity, etc...) are simply ill informed.

On the other hand, companies like 5EP do make better products, and the margins on certain of the "niche" brands tend to be considerably lower than those for brands like 7FAM. And the marketing budget for some of the niche brands is minimal to non-existent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rye GB View Post
Whilst I have a lot of disregard for the products mentioned this is an uneducated and "retarded" response to the question.

The fits aren't shitty, especially the women's jeans. Any company that can make a cellulite riddled arse look like the Holy Grail are onto something.
Perhaps the washes, especially the vintage with faux whiskers is particularly lame to those with a stronger knowledge/passion for natural fading. The quality is actually very good in terms of where products can be made in the world. Sewn and washed in Los Angeles by workers on a competitive wage (Not children in China working for pennies), fabrics are sourced from Italy and Japan for the most part. Washes are done domestically and vintage treatments are produced individually by hand. Now that these companies are transitioning to Mexico for production the sew and wash standards may slip.
Price is reflective of cost to produce. The chain stores are the biggest culprits of final retail price, many markup 2.7 from the brands wholesale cost. If it costs 7fam $60 to produce and they wholesale at $120 many retailers will almost triple that wholesale versus a fair double, instead of paying $240 you find a sticker price of $324.

As for the main question of being labeled lame, it's mostly about the demographic buying into the marketing and celebrity hype rather than the integrity of the products.
post #27 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rye GB View Post
Whilst I have a lot of disregard for the products mentioned this is an uneducated and "retarded" response to the question.
Please kid, don't use big words if you are going to sound like a fool. First off, it isn't a matter of education it is a matter of aesthetics. True Religions look horrible, at least as far as I'm concerned. Their huge and wide stitching looks amaturish and stupid> Their back pocket design is maybe the worst in the biz. And their distressing, fake whiskers and so on look as bad as the kind of fake shit sold on the streets of NYC for 30 bucks. The other brands mentioned aren't quite as bad, but are still very sub-par aesthetically speaking.
Quote:
The quality is actually very good in terms of where products can be made in the world. Sewn and washed in Los Angeles by workers on a competitive wage (Not children in China working for pennies), fabrics are sourced from Italy and Japan for the most part. Washes are done domestically and vintage treatments are produced individually by hand. Now that these companies are transitioning to Mexico for production the sew and wash standards may slip.
No, the quality is not "very good." Look, the question here is expensive ass denim. If you want to compare 7s or True Religions to some shit you get on sale for 15 bucks at TJ Maxx... okay, the quality is better. But the quality is in general much worse than good denim in the same price range. APCs, Sugar Cane, Samurai, even Nudie or Earnest Sewn are much better quality for the price. Hell, frankly you can get 40 dollar Levis with the same quality as crap like True Religion and the washes won't look totally idiotic.
Quote:
Price is reflective of cost to produce.
This is laughably naive.
post #28 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
very male rationalizations for buying some expensive products over others ("quality*, longevity, etc...) are simply ill informed.

On the other hand, companies like 5EP do make better products

Were you purposefully trying to contradict yourself in the span of two sentences?
post #29 of 355
I'm sorry, and you are...?
post #30 of 355
anggrryy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Why do people hate on jeans like rock & republics and sfam?