or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Pearl Onions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pearl Onions

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I have started tossing these in whenever I saute anything. I absolutely love the taste they add and they are really good to eat once cooked. These things are a godsend.
post #2 of 10
They are great, but if you really want to pull the flavor out of them you need to blanche and peel them before you saute.
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
They are great, but if you really want to pull the flavor out of them you need to blanche and peel them before you saute.

It's heresy, but I buy the frozen ones already peeled. I use them for boeuf bourguignon and they are a huge time saver on a lengthy-to-prepare dish.
post #4 of 10
when you boil them add some vinegar
post #5 of 10
Use Cippolini. Prepare to lose your mind.
post #6 of 10
Peel them. Saute in a pan with a small amount of olive oil until they get some color. Put them in a baking dish with 1/2 cup of chicken broth, salt & pepper and bake until they carmelize. Takes up to an hour. Easy way to peel them is to drop in boiling water for a minute and then squeeze them out of the skin. Awesome side dish.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despos View Post
Peel them. Saute in a pan with a small amount of olive oil until they get some color. Put them in a baking dish with 1/2 cup of chicken broth, salt & pepper and bake until they carmelize. Takes up to an hour.

Easy way to peel them is to drop in boiling water for a minute and then squeeze them out of the skin.

Awesome side dish.

Yes, but don't let matt find out you're taking shortcuts.

Pearl onions were actually the first onions I learned to like. I didn't like onions as a kid.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
Yes, but don't let matt find out you're taking shortcuts.

Pearl onions were actually the first onions I learned to like. I didn't like onions as a kid.
You are supposed to peel pearl onions that way, not shallots. Dildo. That said, I do it by hand, raw. I generally add a pinch of sugar as well.
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
You are supposed to peel pearl onions that way, not shallots. Dildo. That said, I do it by hand, raw.

I generally add a pinch of sugar as well.

I'm much better with shallots now. I was not using proper technique.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Use Cippolini. Prepare to lose your mind.

+1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Pearl Onions