• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes With Character

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll start it off:
......012.jpg
......011-2.jpg
......010.jpg
......005.jpg
......003.jpg
......001.jpg

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I salute thee, Bigbris.

I can tell that you actually WEAR your shoes. Just like scratches on a watch, creases on a pair of shoe are signs of character.

Why purchase something only to sit in the closet, taken out for the occasional photo shoot? And nothing more funny and sad than to see the valiant attempts at warding off creases on shoes.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I must admit, I too dislike excessive creases in shoes, but they are inevitable. The flash on my camera seemingly accentuated them. The great thing is when the shoes are on my feet the creasing is barely visible (see group shot). Signs of quality leather. But I buy shoes to wear--alot.

andyw

Reaction score
How about these...........bespoke Peter Limmer hiking boots circa 1978, on the second pair of soles, easily 5,000 miles, trod on 3 continents......still going strong.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juniper
http://www.coherentgraphics.co.uk/kempton1.jpg

http://www.coherentgraphics.co.uk/kempton2.jpg

Loake 1880 Kempton second in chestnut calf, 60GBP, 3rd sole, nth heel). Water damaged again today...

My favourite shoes. Wear 'em about 3 times a week.

Those are nice, nice coloration.

Originally Posted by andyw
How about these...........bespoke Peter Limmer hiking boots circa 1978, on the second pair of soles, easily 5,000 miles, trod on 3 continents......still going strong.

You, sir, are overqualified for the position
wink.gif

satorstyle

Reaction score
bigbris from one big foot brother to another, there's a whole of dead cows in that photo. Are you a size 13 or 14? Nice selection and I can tell you don't mind keeping a nice polish on your shoes.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All 13 except the AE Strand (black semi, latest aquisition against all odds, 12D #5 combo last, great fit!)

Thanks, brother.

kngrimm

Reaction score
I'm sorry... but creases on the cap toe portion is not character... it's a shoe that doesn't fit/wasn't cared for properly...

I don't see character... I see a wounded shoe.

Specifically front left black shoe.. top middle brown shoe... the rest look good.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonio
Are those some EGs in the middle?

They're Barney's house brand, made in Italy.

Originally Posted by kngrimm
I'm sorry... but creases on the cap toe portion is not character... it's a shoe that doesn't fit/wasn't cared for properly...

Specifically front left black shoe.. top middle brown shoe... the rest look good.

I agree, cap creases are unfortunate. However, not all instances are due to poor fit, some are due to cap location & size.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reason I keep the black ones:

06-04-07_2351.jpg

For the rain (which is probably why they look so bad
wink.gif

How the Polos looked when I got them:

polo2.jpg

How the Aldens looked when I got them:

alden1.jpg

How the Barney's looked when I got them:

d8f7_1.jpg

After trees:

05-19-07_1200.jpg

Some shoes that have moved on:

Vintage J&M Aristocraft Shells:

shell1.jpg

Vintage Ferregamo:

06-07-07_2316.jpg

06-07-07_2323.jpg

For Brian
wink.gif
:

Gucci.jpg

06-15-07_1828.jpg

06-15-07_1829.jpg

minhi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kngrimm

i dunno, he's got pretty large feet and the cap section on the blacks are especially large...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyw
Those are fantastic! I think I saw that pic before, maybe on another forum? Limmer has been in the back of my mind for a while. I like the idea of hardcore boots that with proper care will outlast the owner. Lifetime boots!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads