or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoes With Character
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shoes With Character - Page 15

post #211 of 755
I just had these Alden chukkas resoled at Guild Crafts in Ginza. Cost me a cool $160.

The boots originally had double leather soles, which are not practical for icy, wet weather.
I like the tough look even though they are not exactly dressy.

I also have a pair of Alden high boots that I will also have resoled...they currently have the "half commando" soles, but the full commandos are thicker and more comfortable.







post #212 of 755
sanrensho, I like the soles on the chukkas. A very nice rugged look.
post #213 of 755
Thread Starter 
post #214 of 755
Not tons of character, maybe, but what can I say? Cordovan ages well.

post #215 of 755
Update on my dad's old ones:
post #216 of 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrensho View Post
I just had these Alden chukkas resoled at Guild Crafts in Ginza. Cost me a cool $160.


$160 for what you had done in Japan and a top job was not too bad a price IMHO...
post #217 of 755




post #218 of 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post





They are great. Tell us more.
post #219 of 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post
They are great. Tell us more.

+1
post #220 of 755
Thank you, Fritzl and Walneal. These are my relatively poor quality Polo boots, made in Italy. You can see where the edge dressing keeps flaking off, even after a cobbler repainted it for me. They also have new laces, after one broke, and have been reheeled once and need another. They've had a hard life.
post #221 of 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
You can see where the edge dressing keeps flaking off, even after a cobbler repainted it for me. They also have new laces, after one broke, and have been reheeled once and need another. They've had a hard life.
Try this. Take some steel wool and roughen it up. Then you rub i.e. Kiwi cream polish with your ball of the thumb along the lines and the edge. Repeat as often as necessary. Then you take a tooth brush, or any other applying brush, and apply some shoe grease i.e. Huberd's. Do the ball of the thumb procedure again. Finally some buffing with a lot of elbow grease should do the trick.
post #222 of 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
Thank you, Fritzl and Walneal. These are my relatively poor quality Polo boots, made in Italy. You can see where the edge dressing keeps flaking off, even after a cobbler repainted it for me. They also have new laces, after one broke, and have been reheeled once and need another. They've had a hard life.
Doc, regardless of their quality, they look really nice.
post #223 of 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrensho View Post
I just had these Alden chukkas resoled at Guild Crafts in Ginza. Cost me a cool $160.

The boots originally had double leather soles, which are not practical for icy, wet weather.
I like the tough look even though they are not exactly dressy.

I also have a pair of Alden high boots that I will also have resoled...they currently have the "half commando" soles, but the full commandos are thicker and more comfortable.




The resole job looks good on the chukkas. The full commando gives it a rugged look that complements the shape of the boot nicely.
post #224 of 755
Character development of a C&J for Polo cordovan boot:

L to R, and bottom to top: new, 5 years old and 10 years old (resoled once)

I love these boots.


post #225 of 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac View Post
nicely aged Alden 911s I have. They have wax stains, rain stains, etc.


Wow, those Aldens look amazing. Shoes that can manage to truck on unsupervised and still turn out wonderfully are a joy to own.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoes With Character