• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you non-Ivy Leaguers feel inadequate?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was talking with a distant cousin of mine last night. He is a recent graduate of the University of Virginia, a school far from mediocre (to say the least). We got to talking about college and he mentioned that a fair number of his classmates were rejected from Yale, Princeton, Harvard, etc. and that they've developed a pretty serious inferiority complex. He claims that one of them said he will not be able to get a job without an Ivy League graduate degree.
laugh.gif
I think the whole "Does the Ivy League really matter?" question is settled (it doesn't) but how do you feel about it?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coming out of a public school I wish I had gone to a serious no name university just to show people up. When I think Ivy League, I think bought degree and political correctness. The smartest people come out of public schools. But I could care less, either way I have to prove myself.

FabricOfSociety

Reaction score
Ivy League typically refers to eight East Coast schools. I would guess graduates of Stanford, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, William & Mary, etc. don't feel inadequate.

Being human, we all feel inadequate in some area(s) of our lives. At least it might be reasonable if we do since "pride comes before the fall."

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh, UVA is a great school. I think it's just dick-waving childishness.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I get into Brown, I'm going to go to the University of Chicago so that I can tell everyone that I went to Brown and the University of Chicago because I went to Brown and the University of Chicago.

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FabricOfSociety
Ivy League typically refers to eight East Coast schools. I would guess graduates of Stanford, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, William & Mary, etc. don't feel inadequate.

Being human, we all feel inadequate in some area(s) of our lives. At least it might be reasonable if we do since "pride comes before the fall."

I really don't think you can group Carnegie Mellon and William & Mary with the Ivies, Stanford, and MIT. Anyway, back to Connie's question, your undergrad university is very important. My understanding is that some banking firms basically don't hire people from non-Ivy institutes.

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
Uh, UVA is a great school. I think it's just dick-waving childishness.

Yes, I think UVa has academics on par with several of the Ivies.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of ones where I get lambasted for thinking 150k / year does not necessarily mean you are rich. How many schools are Ivy? Eight? How many people a year can possibly graduate from them in finance and business?

I think it is possible to find financial success in the US without going to an Ivy.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
I really don't think you can group Carnegie Mellon and William & Mary with the Ivies, Stanford, and MIT. Anyway, back to Connie's question, your undergrad university is very important. My understanding is that some banking firms basically don't hire people from non-Ivy institutes.
My understanding is that the vast majority of college graduates never even consider a career in banking.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
My understanding is that a vast majority of college graduates never consider living in the Northeast.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the inadequate generally feel inadequate. Then again, there is a fair proportion of the misguided adequate in there as well.

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
My understanding is that the vast majority of college graduates never even consider a career in banking.

Of course not. I never said more than 50% of college students want to be investment bankers. However, finance is a popular career choice, considering how lucrative a field it can be. Also, there are probably more Ivy-league grads working at investment banks than grads from non-Ivy schools. I'll defer to other forum members who actually work at these Manhattan investment firms.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
He claims that one of them said he will not be able to get a job without an Ivy League graduate degree.
laugh.gif

This is certianly hyperbole, but it may not be as outrageous as you think.

In the world of physics, if one intends to be a physicist at a large research university, then one needs to get his PhD from a Top 30 school. There are exceptions, but generally the faculty at even the least prestigious research universities are made up of Ivy Leaguers and and graduates of other top physics schools.

A Physics PhD from UVA will certainly be fighting an uphill battle if he intends to work in academia.

I'm not sure how true this is for other fields, but my point is this: in many fields, his statement is not entirely laughable.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
I really don't think you can group Carnegie Mellon and William & Mary with the Ivies, Stanford, and MIT.

For engineering fields, CMU is often comparable to or better than MIT or Stanford.

To answer the original question, I think it depends on what you want to do. For computer-related stuff, Cornell is the only Ivy that really stands out. That doesn't mean there aren't good people at the other schools: there are fewer and you have to dig deeper to find them.

This also doesn't mean that a name-brand school offers better training (often it doesn't), but people of a certain inclination and talent will be attracted to certain schools, so the chances of finding a good person at a good school is higher.

But someone with talent who works hard, and has the desire to do well will always do well at any reasonable school.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads