or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Do you like the country you currently live in?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you like the country you currently live in? - Page 2

post #16 of 75
I have lived in Maryland, Pennsylvania, D.C., and now I live in NYC.

I enjoyed them all a lot but I do not think I can settle down in any of those for good.


I currently love living in NYC but I am pretty sure it will die out in a couple of years. I think its more about the company you have. NYC (being a student here) is a place where people come and go...i think when the good company leaves it might not be as good anymore...this has been the case with other places as well.

I would also really like to live abroad to try it out...
post #17 of 75
It doesn't take a lot for me to be happy with my surroundings. I was happy in the US and I'm certainly happy in Korea. I'd say I'm currently happier here, but that's because my recent memories were in lilly-white suburbia, where there were more lowered white S-10s than there were non-whites. Despite being in Korea, where everyone is Korean, there's a really good feeling of internationality, and I have access to pretty much everything I want.
post #18 of 75
i have been to about 35 countries.. lived in paris for a year.. been to pretty much every major city in usa.. and at 30 yrs old now.. only place i would try would be copenhagen, or stockholm again.. just cause the women are SO pretty, friendly.. and the stress level is so low there.. everyone just seems happy..

i was born and raised and still live in vegas.. i like that everything is new.. if a house is built before 2000 its old.. no one wants it.. same for retail.. we have 3 hot months.. then 9 great months.. today it was 75-80 degrees.. been that all month.. and everything is 24hrs!

kinda a relative question though.. if u made 750k a yr living in Manhattan would prob be a super fun city to live in.. making 100k a yr.. it would be a mess to live there..
post #19 of 75
I have a perverse thing for travel and the resulting poignancy that arises from living in foreign places only to leave, so no, I probably wouldn't be satisfied with any place, I think. However, I do like the fact that most companies and sellers ship to the U.S. easily.
post #20 of 75
Tokyo is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here.

Doh!
post #21 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD View Post
It doesn't take a lot for me to be happy with my surroundings. I was happy in the US and I'm certainly happy in Korea. I'd say I'm currently happier here, but that's because my recent memories were in lilly-white suburbia, where there were more lowered white S-10s than there were non-whites. Despite being in Korea, where everyone is Korean, there's a really good feeling of internationality, and I have access to pretty much everything I want.

Can you expand on this a bit more? Especially having access to everything you want while I presume there might be some obvious language/cultural barriers?
post #22 of 75
Usually, unless I'm driving. (South Korea)
post #23 of 75
Not really, hence why I'm moving to Jeju-do.
post #24 of 75
I love Australia so very much, and would not have left but for the wife. Long term, my plan is to return here, as I am not keen on adapting the American way of life as my own, or my children's, for that matter.
post #25 of 75
Vietnam drives me crazy but it keeps me entertained.

It is great to live in a place that is changing before my eyes. I go away for a week, come back, and Ill spot like four new things...shops/bars/cafes/buildings whatever.

Related to that is watching people try to come to terms with that change, and try to work stuff that the developed world takes for granted (like ATM machines) into their own routines.

Related to that - and as cheesy and self important as it may sound - I can Make A Difference here. I built my industry...before I came to town there were a couple of local companies doing shadyPRwork. Me (and a guy who came a couple of months after me too) can pretty legitimately claim to have invented an industry here. That is kinda cool. Along with that comes the ability to change people's lives...I have staff who were dirt poor a couple of years ago, and find themselves upper middle classers now. People who had never been further away than Vung Tau (45 min boat ride) who now lead local media on tours to France etc etc. That is very rewarding.

On a personal level, I guess I have everything I want. Great friends, great lifestyle, great girlfriend, great job, great social life, great house, too many motorbikes etc etc etc. Can't complain.

The place frustrates the hell out of me as often as I enjoy it, but I do find it fascinating, so I went with 'sometimes' on the poll.
post #26 of 75
I tend to like countries that to which I haven't been or in which I haven't spent much time.
post #27 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD
It doesn't take a lot for me to be happy with my surroundings. I was happy in the US and I'm certainly happy in Korea. I'd say I'm currently happier here, but that's because my recent memories were in lilly-white suburbia, where there were more lowered white S-10s than there were non-whites. Despite being in Korea, where everyone is Korean, there's a really good feeling of internationality, and I have access to pretty much everything I want.
ya, but there are phases of expatriate Brian, and you are still very much in the first phase of elation. Next phase is where it all collapses around you and you hate everything about Asia and plot the deaths of every single person you deal with every day. It normalises after that, and you kinda get to like it.
post #28 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T View Post
ya, but there are phases of expatriate Brian, and you are still very much in the first phase of elation.

Next phase is where it all collapses around you and you hate everything about Asia and plot the deaths of every single person you deal with every day.

It normalises after that, and you kinda get to like it.

post #29 of 75
Generally, I have to say that I love living in Germany.
Every place has its up- ad downsides but after having lived in the US and been to a lot of countries I have to say that this is it. Only possible exception being Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland but these aren't that different... in choosing a lifestyle it's pretty much what I want here.
post #30 of 75
Thread Starter 
Matt,


I enjoy reading about your experience. One quick comment:

I sometimes misspell certain words in my posts. For example, in this one, I forgot the word "like" in the poll title and I can't change it. However, a spelling guardian angel just added that word in for me. I wonder who has the power to do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T View Post
Vietnam drives me crazy but it keeps me entertained.

It is great to live in a place that is changing before my eyes. I go away for a week, come back, and Ill spot like four new things...shops/bars/cafes/buildings whatever.

Related to that is watching people try to come to terms with that change, and try to work stuff that the developed world takes for granted (like ATM machines) into their own routines.

Related to that - and as cheesy and self important as it may sound - I can Make A Difference here. I built my industry...before I came to town there were a couple of local companies doing shadyPRwork. Me (and a guy who came a couple of months after me too) can pretty legitimately claim to have invented an industry here. That is kinda cool. Along with that comes the ability to change people's lives...I have staff who were dirt poor a couple of years ago, and find themselves upper middle classers now. People who had never been further away than Vung Tau (45 min boat ride) who now lead local media on tours to France etc etc. That is very rewarding.

On a personal level, I guess I have everything I want. Great friends, great lifestyle, great girlfriend, great job, great social life, great house, too many motorbikes etc etc etc. Can't complain.

The place frustrates the hell out of me as often as I enjoy it, but I do find it fascinating, so I went with 'sometimes' on the poll.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Do you like the country you currently live in?