or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Corduroy Sportcoat/Jacket--How to Wear?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Corduroy Sportcoat/Jacket--How to Wear? - Page 2

post #16 of 33
I have one. Check it out in the "What are you wearing..." thread and in the Kent Wang brown contest thread.

I've only really worn mine with jeans. It's slim fitting so it looks nice with slim jeans. Great casual look.
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaxixi View Post
Oh, man, forget it. I'm working toward a PhD (though not in Physics)...

Corduroy jackets are what tweed jackets used to be: the uniform of the university professor.
If you are working on a Ph.D. in the US, it is about the only jacket you can wear without getting strange looks.

That image I posted above was Carl Sagan in the late 1970's- give him a haircut
and he'd look like a college professor today.

Unlike the 1930's Indiana Jone college professor look and the style advocated
in "Mastering the college professor look", which no professor I've ever met looks like.
http://offthecuffdc.blogspot.com/200...ssor-look.html
post #18 of 33
I've got two and am very find of both. I wear them a lot. Both are choclate brown.

One has patch pockets and is more casual. I like wearing it with jeans.

The other is an RLPL with side vents and standard pockets. I wore it to a law offcie today with:
  • Brown Loake pebble grain full brouge anke boots
  • Grey flannel trousers
  • crean shirt with a multi-colored check patttern
  • Club tie with brown background and shields or something like that
  • Naby blue sweater vest
post #19 of 33
I have an unusual cord sporcoat from Cortefiel in Spain - it is a light tan and has leather trim on the top of the notch lapels and pocket flaps, plus a lining with a bullfighting motif. Certainly not the most conservative thing I wear but it's a lot of fun.
post #20 of 33
Check out Singular in the WAWRN thread- he is really good at combining jeans and sportcoats. Here are three of his corduroy days, on Feb 8th, Jan 14, and Jan 11:



post #21 of 33
Thread Starter 
Finally ended up buying the corduroy sportscoat. Today I paired it with a sweater I posted about way back when I first joined (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=49241). Photos on WAYWN: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...ostcount=26111

Thank you for the input.
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaxixi View Post
Finally ended up buying the corduroy sportscoat. Today I paired it with a sweater I posted about way back when I first joined (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=49241). Photos on WAYWN: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...ostcount=26111

Thank you for the input.
Looks good.
post #23 of 33
I think a cord jacket goes with most everything that a tweed jacket does although if I had my choice of just one, I would pick the tweed.

Btw, both are two fabrics that if made as a suit, the jacket can be worn as a sport coat.

Cheers, Jim.
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco D'Anconia View Post
I've got two and am very find of both. I wear them a lot. Both are choclate brown.

One has patch pockets and is more casual. I like wearing it with jeans.

The other is an RLPL with side vents and standard pockets. I wore it to a law offcie today with:
  • Brown Loake pebble grain full brouge anke boots
  • Grey flannel trousers
  • crean shirt with a multi-colored check patttern
  • Club tie with brown background and shields or something like that
  • Naby blue sweater vest

Fantastic username. Too bad you didn't use his whole name.
post #25 of 33
Just bought an Old Navy brown cord sport coat [http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=673839 in mole] It's pretty boring looking, but I'm just trying out the look and it fits fairly well OTR. Also, it was only $35. I was thinking of wearing it with a white button down (either OCBD or point collar) with a cotton v-neck forest green sweater. What do you guys think? Also, I'm not really sure about the pants, I was thinking either khakis/chinos or maybe just blue jeans? Just FYI, I'm a 21 year old college student, and I am expecting one or two "professor" comments, haha. EDIT: Wow, just realized this is a old thread, sorry
post #26 of 33
I'm a college student as well. I wear my brown cord jacket a v-neck or turtleneck in whatever color. I'm Indian so I have a darker complexion and opt for colors that pop in my v-necks. Lavender, orange, pink, etc. Underneath the sweater I might use a white dress shirt or checked shirt and a tie with a nice texture and colors that subtly complement the sweater. My biggest trouble is deciding on pants. Since I'm in college I'll usually even it out with some nice jeans. During the colder months maybe some flannel pants in charcoal to medium grey. Shoes are up to the individual. I'm not a fan of suede in general, though many people like to pair that with cords. I think a soft calf or pebble grained boot in any shade of brown would be perfectly appropriate.
post #27 of 33
I just bought a brown corduroy jacket completed with elbow patch.

The jacket comes with shank-styled buttons like the below picture.

The jacket is to be worn on weekend running errands in the Fall.

Good idea to have them replace with regular dark broen buttons?

post #28 of 33
Yes any kind of sport coat like that is a casual piece. It works well with just some nice slacks or dress jeans and a collared shirt, I would not wear it in a business setting.
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlin View Post
Personally, I love corduroy sport coats.

Someone at Styleforum had made a comment on Lex Luthor and his corduroy sport coat. Sadly, I can't seem to be able to find it.


I've always believe the attitude of a sportcoat depends more on the cut and less on the particular fabric. Corduroy sportcoat cuts are usually American country, English country or Academic. Most people today don't want to look like a stuffy university professor. Check out the more modern slimmer silhouettes from the ralph lauren website. Pay attention to the wale size. I have a couple from ralph lauren and one from donna karan. On those cold breezy winter days, with the exception of tweeds nothing I believe keeps you more comfortable.
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ001 View Post
I've always believe the attitude of a sportcoat depends more on the cut and less on the particular fabric. Corduroy sportcoat cuts are usually American country, English country or Academic. Most people today don't want to look like a stuffy university professor. Check out the more modern slimmer silhouettes from the ralph lauren website. Pay attention to the wale size. I have a couple from ralph lauren and one from donna karan. On those cold breezy winter days, with the exception of tweeds nothing I believe keeps you more comfortable.
Here's a quote from the Fedora Lounge that nicely captures the sentiment of wearing a corduroy suit, and the message it sends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
A film costumer picked this for a supervillain, to help outline the character visually for the mass culture. So we're kind of obligated to look at the message it sends. It bespeaks eccentricity, indulgence, and a bit of pretentiousness. The casual fabric plus the formal tailoring, along with Luthor's bald head of course, are meant to create unease and underscore the idea that Luthor is out of balance and at odds with society. Ask yourself: Could Clark Kent wear this? Of course not. He's the ultimate good guy. Mild-mannered Kansas-raised superheroes don't send out cross-messages with their clothes. Especially not if they have space-age circus outfits underneath. This is an outfit that makes a statement. The statement is "Go to hell, world," in a hissy whisper that not everyone will hear but anyone can (subliminally) understand. (In addition to everything else - the damn thing is brown.) There are very few places you could wear this without coming off a little snooty, altho unless you're (say) George Soros*, no one is going to think you are bent on world domination. *George Soros is not a supervillain, or at least not obvious enough about it to wear a 3pc corduroy suit.
On some level, we -- the members of SF, that is -- are narcissists in that we're on a site discussing vain indulgences that are quite superficial in nature. So, it is no wonder that an outfit such as a corduroy suit would be popular with this crowd.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Corduroy Sportcoat/Jacket--How to Wear?