or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Advice Needed: JLP or C&J?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice Needed: JLP or C&J?

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
I'm in Paris currently and I find myself in a dilemma as to which shoe I should buy. I've narrowed down my choices to two shoes. The first is the JLP Luffield in Parisian Brown Museum Calf (as most know, this is built on the 8000 last). The second is a C&J Barstow in a burdundy color (similar to the picture below). The C&J is about half the price of the JL, so taking that into consideration, what are the opinions here?

As an aside --- at about the same price, which is a better buy: Lobb or Berluti?

Option 1 --- Luffield


Option 2 --- Barstow
post #2 of 39
Two pairs of Barstow.

Walking down the street, only YOU will know what you are wearing. Unless you take yours shoes off and show passerby the "John Lobb" logo on the sole.
post #3 of 39
I love C&J but am not sure I like how pointy the toe is on the Barstow.

Plus, I have a pair of Luffields and absolutely love them!
post #4 of 39
I don't like the pointy Barstow - if you are comfortable with JLP pricing, then definitely get JLP.

I much prefer JLP to Berluti.
post #5 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1824 View Post
I love C&J but am not sure I like how pointy the toe is on the Barstow.

Plus, I have a pair of Luffields and absolutely love them!

I know what you mean, but in person the toe is much more subdued and not at all pointy (at least not to the extent it is in the photos).
post #6 of 39
Quote:
I'm in Paris currently and I find myself in a dilemma as to which shoe I should buy. I've narrowed down my choices to two shoes. The first is the JLP Luffield in Parisian Brown Museum Calf (as most know, this is built on the 8000 last).

I think you answered your own question.

Seriously, though, that C&J last is awful pointy and might be tough to work with depending on your height and shoe size. The JLP looks more versatile. It's hard to evaluate off the foot.
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_44106 View Post
Two pairs of Barstow.

Walking down the street, only YOU will know what you are wearing. Unless you take yours shoes off and show passerby the "John Lobb" logo on the sole.

You need to vote.
post #8 of 39
Thread Starter 
I'm 5'8" and my shoe size in C&J is 8E (UK).
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle View Post
You need to vote.

My discourse speaks louder than a simple vote.
post #10 of 39
I much prefer the last of the JL
post #11 of 39
JLP; that C&J is too pointy.
post #12 of 39
I'm a huge fan of the new C&J designs. If that shoe looks more subtle in person as you say, I'd get it. I prefer the design and the color. I'd get a second pair while you're at it in another design. Here's a better picture of the Bartow: http://www.upper-shoes.com/popup.php...randes/688.jpg
post #13 of 39
CJ! for the price, how can you argue?!
post #14 of 39
Definitely prefer the JL, but if the CJ does not appear as pointy when worn, then I would probably go for it considering the price. But once again - prefer the JL.

Cordovan
post #15 of 39
Get the C&J Aintree! Similar style but a little less pointy. And Handgrade.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Advice Needed: JLP or C&J?