• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lunges: Pick your poison

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's your preference, walking lunges, stationary lunges, or do you feel the need to do both?

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do stationary lunges/split squats because my gym doesn't have enough room for me to do walking lunges with a barbell on my back. I would do walking lunges if I had the space though.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walking, but both are inferior to squats or high step-ups for well-conditioned people.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph
I do stationary lunges/split squats because my gym doesn't have enough room for me to do walking lunges with a barbell on my back. I would do walking lunges if I had the space though.

If your gym aint got no space, do lunges on the smith. Do it by lunging back. ie. knee facing the floor to be back of your body.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've already got the space to do stationary lunges, just not walking. There's no Smith machine here, and I wouldn't use it for anything squat or lunge-related even if there was. Or anything else for that matter, except perhaps calf raises. I'd only touch it if it were one of those new things which move back and forth as well as up and down, and even then I'd prefer a barbell.

beasty

Reaction score
I've already got the space to do stationary lunges, just not walking. There's no Smith machine here, and I wouldn't use it for anything squat or lunge-related even if there was. Or anything else for that matter, except perhaps calf raises. I'd only touch it if it were one of those new things which move back and forth as well as up and down, and even then I'd prefer a barbell.

What do you have against Mr Smith anyways? Its good for chest, shoulder presses and bent rows. And even squats if you keep your back on the same plane as the bar and do more of a quad/butt squats.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, when you bench, military press, or squat with a free bar, the natural bar path is never straight up and down. Not only that, but no two reps you do will have exactly the same bar path. So I don't like the Smith machine because it forces you into a fixed movement pattern, which is unnatural. It may not injure you right away, but I do think that it will weaken your support of natural movements. Less importantly, I don't really like the slight counterweight effect, either.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Yep. Years ago I used to do Smith bench sometimes. Mostly because it let me stack more weight on the bar.
smile.gif
But when I went back to free benching, I realized there was no carryover and it had actually created huge sticking points because of the unnatural range of motion.

beasty

Reaction score
Well, when you bench, military press, or squat with a free bar, the natural bar path is never straight up and down. Not only that, but no two reps you do will have exactly the same bar path. So I don't like the Smith machine because it forces you into a fixed movement pattern, which is unnatural. It may not injure you right away, but I do think that it will weaken your support of natural movements. Less importantly, I don't really like the slight counterweight effect, either.

I would submit the smith actually helps you.

I would submit the smith helps you because for many exercises you have to follow a same unaltered path, bench, bent row, military press.

I would submit using a free bar would lead to unbalanced movement ie. right arm pushing more than left and elliptical movements like instead of benching from nipple to up you move from nipple to up to right nipple to left delt to above your neck.

Hence the conclusion is smith is good. Thank you.

beasty

Reaction score
^Yep. Years ago I used to do Smith bench sometimes. Mostly because it let me stack more weight on the bar.
smile.gif
But when I went back to free benching, I realized there was no carryover and it had actually created huge sticking points because of the unnatural range of motion.

That is true but smith helps you to squeeze out a few more reps.
I like to do bent rows univ and finish with bent rows smith.
Smith are easier even though the weight is lesser.
Universal you need to adjust.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
I would submit the smith helps you because for many exercises you have to follow a same unaltered path, bench, bent row, military press.

None of these movements are solely vertical.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
I would submit the smith actually helps you.

I would submit using a free bar would lead to unbalanced movement ie. right arm pushing more than left and elliptical movements like instead of benching from nipple to up you move from nipple to up to right nipple to left delt to above your neck.

Hence the conclusion is smith is good. Thank you.

The Smith helps you by...forcing your body into unnatural movement patterns?

Baby Jesus cries at your logic.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
walking lunges sometimes, split squat jumps other times

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads