• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doing things alone

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been in NYC for eight months and now that it's warming up, there's an endless list of things I want to do. Most of them involve riding my bike and sitting, relaxing in Central Park, but others are a little more time and cash consuming. And with a small network of friends, and the other personal occupations that they have, I might start doing some of them alone. But as a single guy in the city, I don't know if that's a good idea -- and yet, I don't know why.

I'd like to go around and try to find the best cheeseburger I can find.
Also milkshake, perhaps.
I'd like to travel around the other boroughs (well, not Staten Island) and find what's culturally appealing.

How do you become accustomed to doing things alone? My roommates and I are good friends but we have different interests -- if we were in Brooklyn, for example, I'd probably want to find some cool clothing stores, and they wouldn't. But even putting that aside, there will be plenty of times when they're just busy.

Thoughts? I guess the reason I bring it up is that it can feel strange to be alone a lot in the city, and even though I have close friends, doing typically social things alone can seem off.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont like shopping with other people so I always go alone. I've never felt weird doing it.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It really varies person to person. I'm perfectly fine going off to do things by myself (traveling alone is awesome) and see nothing wrong with it, but I'm also an introvert and being around and engaging with lots of people constantly is actually tiresome for me.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by playdohh22
I have difficultly doing things alone, I feel weird for some reason. For instance, I would never eat out alone, the list goes on. I just in general wouldn't do anything alone. Maybe I should try sometime.

You're too concerned about what people think of you.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
It really varies person to person. I'm perfectly fine going off to do things by myself (traveling alone is awesome) and see nothing wrong with it, but I'm also an introvert and being around and engaging with lots of people constantly is actually tiresome for me.

Yes, I think so.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I really prefer doing a lot of things with one exception: going to a bar. I really feel awkward doing that, so much so that I couldn't even tell you if I've ever done that. Ever.

It depends on where you go. Some local watering holes are perfect to go to alone. But for bars that are meat markets, it's a little tough because you're being judged on an entirely different standard.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
You're too concerned about what people think of you.
No, I think he's just more of an extrovert (but he could also be vain and shallow too
tongue.gif
).

I really feel awkward doing that, so much so that I couldn't even tell you if I've ever done that. Ever.
Yes, there is a stigma over enjoying a martini or a glass of scotch alone, but I've never quite understood why. I still do it though, and I prefer small and quite bars when I go out by myself.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
It depends on where you go. Some local watering holes are perfect to go to alone. But for bars that are meat markets, it's a little tough because you're being judged on an entirely different standard.
Even then I feel really weird. Actually, I do remember drinking alone in a few times in DC and Portland but usually I was sitting out in a patio reading a book and enjoying a pint. Come to think of it, that's really why I like Portland so much. Their beer culture is so great that I always ended up having someone to talk to while drinking at a brewpub. That or I went for their great happy hours.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini

Come to think of it, that's really why I like Portland so much. Their beer culture is so great that I always ended up having someone to talk to while drinking at a brewpub. That or I went for their great happy hours.

I don't think it's the beer culture in Portland in particular. Local watering holes are similar everywhere. They're weary of outsiders at first, but after a "breaking in" period, you'll get to meet some very good people. There's a local bar outside of Boston that's always close to my heart. I spent many a nights alone there, having drinks and chitchatting with the locals. I didn't go there because I had nowhere else to go--I could've easily called up one of my buddies and go to a Boston meat market. I went there because it was my own time, drinking what I like, and just kicking back generally. Now, I make a point of going back there at least every year, just to say hi.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
I think unless you are with someone with very similar interests, general or superficial conversation with people is very tedious.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just try it a few times. I have a very different schedule than most of my friends so if I don't want to be sitting on my couch on a weeknight, I'm usually out alone. It's gotten much less weird in a pretty short period of time. Just bring a book or something you want to get done so you don't feel like you have no other options, and then sit and people-watch. Personally I find that very interesting. Anyway, in a city, everyone understands that you want to get out of the house no matter what, whether to escape a tiny place or escape a crappy roommate, or just get out where there are other people around. Find a place where you can hang and it will soon be no big deal no matter where you go.

Weirder things will happen to you than when you go out with others, but it just makes things more interesting. Some psycho in a coffee shop tonight told me I had an accent (nope) and must be from the Dominican Republic, then stared directly at me for a couple minutes. I talked to him for a bit, let him stare, and went back to my book. Think of it this way, if you ever want to write a Henry Miller style novel, you'll have to spend a lot of time hanging out alone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads