• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirts similar to BoO?

cjmorris21

Reaction score
I really like some of their button downs but cannot justify the price. Are there any similar styles of shirts (fit, print, button collars) that might be a little cheaper?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
With a few exceptions, BoO's prints aren't exactly groundbreaking or vastly different from what's already out there.

What really make me justify the (sale) price is the fabric (really nice hand), the fit (of course), and the details (thick MOP buttons).

So really if you were just going for the look then your best bet is to find a cheap shirt and tailor the **** out of it. It's often been said here that a $10 shirt that is tailored to fit you can look infinitely better than a $1000 shirt that fits you like a pizza box.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Hickey Style and Brooks Bros Black Fleece both have similar aesthetics to their design.

cjmorris21

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Hickey Style and Brooks Bros Black Fleece both have similar aesthetics to their design.

Hickey style pretty much costs the same.

thejuice

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity and sorry I am new, but what is soo special about BOO fit?

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing really, its just a fit that a lot of people this forum enjoy. Tight, high arm holes, and short length.

onesidekojax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cjmorris21
I really like some of their button downs but cannot justify the price. Are there any similar styles of shirts (fit, print, button collars) that might be a little cheaper?
have you considered APC shirts? apparently the gq style guy and the sartorialist (i might be wrong on the latter) swear by them. i recall their price points to be in the mid $100s. you can expect narrow shoulders and an overall slim silhouette. i've never tried steven allan stuff, but it draws some similarities with BoO, particularly the americana/prep school inspiration. i hear steven's might be a slightly fuller cut, and that it has its own set of stylistic quirks and signature details. there are several prints to choose from every season.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Steven Alan shirts are sort of similar in that they are soft, but they don't have as slim a fit, and the armholes aren't as high, and they also aren't short. The details are also completely different. I don't really like SA shirts that much anymore, I will probably be unloading a lot of the ones I have soon.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cjmorris21
Hickey style pretty much costs the same.

Hickeystyle shirts can be had on sale for about $60/shirt. Just be patient.

Hummingbird

Reaction score
Dizzt, I don't think you need a slim fit exactly... You're a pretty solid guy.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by feynmix
Hickeystyle shirts can be had on sale for about $60/shirt. Just be patient.
You mean 89.99. The only time their shirts were below 60 (for button ups) was in their clearance section, but as it is now, has been removed entirely from their website. Which sucks too, because they are a STEAL at 60. I will say though, Hickey is cheaper than BoO by about 100 dollars for shirts. I actually prefer Hickey to BoO, as BoO is pretty bland in style, they run very short, and are imo overpriced. The slimness of BoO is untouchable though. Edit: I take it back... BoO are about the same price as Hickey.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Best thing to do is find a good local tailor who can turn any shirt that fits in the chest and shoulders into a BoO fit.

Other similar fits in RTW

Ben Sherman's "soho" fit is nearly the exact as BoO..it might actually be a little bit better (trimmer). But they dont use MoP buttons if that's a dealbreaker for you

Diesel/G-Star fits are nearly identical too, if you can find a shirt that isnt emblazoned with weird embroideries all over the back. But I've been seeing both brands going more "classic" with non-embellished shirtings and a similar design to BoO (buttondown collars, full back pleats etc)

Surprisingly, the Target Mossimo oxfords for $25 had a fit very much like BoO if you size down 1.

or do the SF-approved route and go to www.jantzentailor.com and have one made with all the details you want.

There's nothing really that special about a Band of Outsiders shirt, other than the super high full retail price.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was pretty impressed by the feel of the fabric of the one overdyed BoO shirt I tried on. Other than that though, I agree that there isn't much to them. There is nothing special about the patterns, and the colors they put aren't aren't too special either (eww @ the coral shirt). I'll probably buy one and have tailors use it as a fit reference.

negusnegas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
You mean 89.99. The only time their shirts were below 60 (for button ups) was in their clearance section, but as it is now, has been removed entirely from their website. Which sucks too, because they are a STEAL at 60.

I will say though, Hickey is cheaper than BoO by about 100 dollars for shirts. I actually prefer Hickey to BoO, as BoO is pretty bland in style, they run very short, and are imo overpriced. The slimness of BoO is untouchable though.

Edit: I take it back... BoO are about the same price as Hickey.

I actually ordered from Hickeystyle over the phone and was able to get a shirt from the clearance section that had been removed. So you can call them up and ask them if they have your shirt in the size that you are looking for. I got a Gingham for $60, but I suppose they should still have those oxfords and other stuff that was in the steals and deals section. From what I understand they are selling the rest of the merchandise that was left over to Marshalls and TJ Maxx.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads