or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Worst hotel--can anyone beat this?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Worst hotel--can anyone beat this? - Page 5

post #61 of 74
This is hilarious. I want to stay there now just for the adventure. I'll make sure to be packing.
post #62 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
Four Seasons it aint. And to add insult to injury you are in Detroit.

yeah. Having spent 4 years in Michigan for undergrad I can tell you that if you find yourself in Detroit, don't expect much.

*prepares to dodge tomatoes from any fellow UM people who may come across this post*
post #63 of 74
I was in Detroit yesterday (just the airport, thank god) and I thought about this thread. I wish I'd had a few hours to see the local ruins. On a positive note, the airport was nice and quite clean.
post #64 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullethead View Post
I have a soft spot for the Leland hotel. In the 80's, it was home to a truly great punk/goth club-The City Club.

Even as a 'kid', I couldn't help but notice the beautiful marble staircase I would climb to enter the club. It was the place to go after a show and I have many a fond memory of the place.

For a club, it also had a extraordinarily long shelf life. This was most likely due to it's location-on the corner of Cass and Bagley. In the 70's and 80's, the Cass Corridor was one of the most dangerous areas of the city, which probably kept the people that make a club 'jump the shark' at arm's length.

It was the perfect setting for such a place, an architectural gem set in an urban wasteland. Paradise.

That being said, I don't think I would make a reservation today.

I hadn't realized until now that The City Club was in the Leland Hotel. I used to go there from about 1989-1991 when I lived in Detroit and Michigan after college.

I also used to go to another place downtown that was an old rollerskating rink turned into a club but I don't remember the name. I think it was near Greektown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

It is a shame though, the city has some awesome architecture....

That is the shame. There is some absolutely gorgeous architecture in Detroit, but its such a wasteland that it is never seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
I was in Detroit yesterday (just the airport, thank god) and I thought about this thread. I wish I'd had a few hours to see the local ruins.

On a positive note, the airport was nice and quite clean.

Yes - the new terminal is very nice. I especially liked the Brooks Brothers store.
post #65 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade to Black View Post
yeah. Having spent 4 years in Michigan for undergrad I can tell you that if you find yourself in Detroit, don't expect much.

*prepares to dodge tomatoes from any fellow UM people who may come across this post*

i didn't realize you went to Umich. AA definitely has some great places to eat. in some cases, its the anti-detroit
post #66 of 74
I actually thought of this thread today. A very, very goth coworker of mine mentioned going to Detroit for a fetish ball and gothclub...at the Leland. I told her I'd heard of it...in an internet thread on the worst hotel in existence.
post #67 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeuce22 View Post
i didn't realize you went to Umich. AA definitely has some great places to eat. in some cases, its the anti-detroit

yeah AA's nice when the weather is as well...nice place to go to for higher education. The irony is if i went back as a student as who i am now, i would probably enjoy it more than when i was there as who i was back then.

the Detroit airport...you must mean the new Northwest airlines terminal, that is actually a pretty nice terminal and i'd put it on par with Chicago's O'Hare, better than LaGuardia at least...but the Smith terminal is one of the most depressing places known to mankind.
post #68 of 74
damn....we missed out on some fun at the Leland over the weekend....ExoticaExpo
post #69 of 74
Thread Starter 
Not gonna lie--some of those outfits were kinda hot

Metromix looks like a great site...anything else like that for Detroit?
post #70 of 74
Man I remember some good times at City Club. Is it still going??
My fondest memory is during DEMF, waiting in line at 5 or 6 in the moring on Sunday to get in to see Richie Hawtin. It was sooo loud in side my friend put chewed up gum in his ears.
post #71 of 74
The lobby from the traveler photos looks nice.
post #72 of 74
Dshin-went to the same festival as well. IIRC it went on for 24 straight hours at 1515 broadway. Remember hearing guys like Derrick May and Juan Atkins, as well as The Plasticman.


Bradford-I think you may mean St. Andrews Hall. It somewhat looks like a rollerskating rink inside. they still book great shows.
post #73 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade to Black View Post
yeah AA's nice when the weather is as well...nice place to go to for higher education. The irony is if i went back as a student as who i am now, i would probably enjoy it more than when i was there as who i was back then. the Detroit airport...you must mean the new Northwest airlines terminal, that is actually a pretty nice terminal and i'd put it on par with Chicago's O'Hare, better than LaGuardia at least...but the Smith terminal is one of the most depressing places known to mankind.
You're a Wolverine?! We can never speak again.
post #74 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karo View Post
Try staying at a hotel in China.

You need to find one of the western hotels (Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza, Marco Polo, or common hotels from the US). If you're going there on business, ask the people you'll be dealing with what they recommend. They generally have a good idea of what's close to the office and have received feedback from previous guests.

And back to the topic at hand: best hotel reviews ever!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Worst hotel--can anyone beat this?