or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer) - Page 7

post #91 of 2024
Our cats got me a Father's Day present. Yea me. $250 gift certificate at my favorite local wine shop. Which was having a 30% off sale



I think I did pretty nicely for $250. The best bottle is probably the David Arthur. The bottle I will probably enjoy the most is the Titans from Peay. Saw a 2001 Chateau Y'qem Imperial. This wine received a perfect 100 from WS and keep in mind an Imperial is six litres or the equivalent of eight bottles. The predicted drinking window is from 2012 to 2100. Cost? 8.4k.
post #92 of 2024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Our cats got me a Father's Day present. Yea me. $250 gift certificate at my favorite local wine shop. Which was having a 30% off sale I think I did pretty nicely for $250. The best bottle is probably the David Arthur. The bottle I will probably enjoy the most is the Titans from Peay. Saw a 2001 Chateau Y'qem Imperial. This wine received a perfect 100 from WS and keep in mind an Imperial is six litres or the equivalent of eight bottles. The predicted drinking window is from 2012 to 2100. Cost? 8.4k.
Your cats were probably concerned about the uncertainty of the upcoming election. If HOPE and CHANGE carry the day, the Imperial would have been a bit out of their reach, new tax increases and all.
post #93 of 2024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merckx View Post
Your cats were probably concerned about the uncertainty of the upcoming election. If HOPE and CHANGE carry the day, the Imperial would have been a bit out of their reach, new tax increases and all.

Those cats are smarter than I thought!

Man, I would love to own that Imperial. I don't think I could bring myself to ever open it though.
post #94 of 2024
Thread Starter 
Frankly, $8,400 doesn't sound so bad to me for a freakin Imperial of 01 d'Yquem. Huntsman want. This is my new, long-awaited purchase, Rothman and Winter Creme de Violette, with its progeny, the Aviation.
post #95 of 2024
The Aviation is an underappreciated and undermade drink. A tip of my hat to you, sir Huntsman.

While recipes may differ, here's one for those of you willing to track down the elusive creme de violette.

The Aviation

* 2 oz Gin
* ½ oz Lemon Juice
* 2 tsp Maraschino liquor (such as Luxardo or Stock)
* 1 tsp Creme de Violette

Shake, strain, enjoy.
post #96 of 2024
Thread Starter 
Thanks -- am a certified freak for classic cocktails. My recipe is very similar (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...43#post1132243) but I'm using a little more Violette. Have a favorite gin for the drink? I tried Junipero, then Plymouth, and wound up liking Beefeaters of all things. ~ Huntsman
post #97 of 2024
This thread may not be geared toward these type of questions. But have any of you tried Svedka Vodka before? It is supposed to fill the void between Absolut and Grey Goose in quality and price. I have to say, and tell me if you think I am crazy, but I happen to enjoy Svedka a lot more than Grey Goose.
post #98 of 2024
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma89 View Post
This thread may not be geared toward these type of questions. But have any of you tried Svedka Vodka before? It is supposed to fill the void between Absolut and Grey Goose in quality and price. I have to say, and tell me if you think I am crazy, but I happen to enjoy Svedka a lot more than Grey Goose.
No, but I hate both Absolut and Grey Goose, so if it's in the middle between them, I'm probably still going to hate it.
post #99 of 2024
Thread Starter 
Restocked both my Lillet Rouge and Blanc tonight, picked up a Fernet-Branca, a bottle of Cahaca, and what is probably the first bottle of Tequila I've ever purchased -- Tres Generations Blanco. ~ Huntsman
post #100 of 2024
Nothing really special, just some summer drinkers. An interesting note though, the MacMurray is as in "Fred". He started a vineyard and it is still in production.



Also, my new burlwood wine key came in!



Hunts: The three generations is a nice drinker IMO. Goes great is cocktails.
post #101 of 2024
Thread Starter 
The key is beautiful, Piobaire. Glad the 3G passes muster. It made me a good margarita, but I've really no reference on this stuff. ~H
post #102 of 2024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
The key is beautiful, Piobaire. Glad the 3G passes muster. It made me a good margarita, but I've really no reference on this stuff.
~H

it is acceptabele but honestly fro the price to quality ratio fro me it lacks they are better marsk than tres fro the the same price opr slightly more and there are equal tequilas for consiberally less.
for example milagro reposado costs less and i find it to be superior
post #103 of 2024
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarphe View Post
it is acceptabele but honestly fro the price to quality ratio fro me it lacks they are better marsk than tres fro the the same price opr slightly more and there are equal tequilas for consiberally less.
for example milagro reposado costs less and i find it to be superior

Scarphe:

I would compare the Milagro "silver" to the Three G, not the reposado. But I agree, Milagro is a lesser known brand (for now) and is a better value for the price. I have been drinking Milagro for several years and pick up the blanco or "silver" at Sam's Club for $20. They also have some premium tequilas that also give excellent value.

I used to drink El Jimador reposado, but they have most of their agave fields wiped out several years ago, and stopped being 100% blue agave. That used to be the best $20 tequila on the market IMO.
post #104 of 2024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Scarphe:

I would compare the Milagro "silver" to the Three G, not the reposado. But I agree, Milagro is a lesser known brand (for now) and is a better value for the price. I have been drinking Milagro for several years and pick up the blanco or "silver" at Sam's Club for $20. They also have some premium tequilas that also give excellent value.

I used to drink El Jimador reposado, but they have most of their agave fields wiped out several years ago, and stopped being 100% blue agave. That used to be the best $20 tequila on the market IMO.

agreed sorry for comparing un reposado with a blanco. I should have compared it with that. But my experience with blancos is limited i prefer Añejo or if i am in in bar i will accept reposado. if you want to trya a truly great tequila try the don julio 1942.
post #105 of 2024
Read a good number of suggestions for it, even here, so it caught me by surprise when I finally saw the first bottles being carried in my area:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)