or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › your height?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

your height? - Page 5

post #61 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Looks skewed towards the taller end.
To say the least. Right now only 31% of respondents are identifying as the average American male height (5'9") or below, while 45% are identifying as 6' and above, which includes only 25% of the American male population. All this despite the preponderance of Asian men on the forum. My experiences suggest that many men don't really know their height, though, and tend to overestimate it. I have heard men who I know (through standing next to them many times in life) to be the same height as I am (5'9", that is) declare themselves as 5'11" when asked about it. They were incredulous when I insisted that I was only 5'9".
post #62 of 209
^ correct. you also got to sometimes consider the sample groups used for these surveys.
sort of like Cosmopolitan's 'how much sex do you have per week?' or 'do you have sex in the office?' or 'how many tattoos do you have?' etc...

these types of surveys only attract a certain sample of people. so you will get skewed results for something you want to see for a general consensus of the whole population.

lot of persons include their shoe /shoe sole height into their overall height.

i for one , dont really care too much about height. i am run of the mill, but there are other factors (accomplished not seminatural) that can validate self worth (to those who are on the shorter side). so dont worry.
post #63 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
the whole population.

lot of persons include their shoe /shoe sole height into their overall height.


I think you're right, shoe (nice to "see" you by the way), but that has always struck me as odd. If you're standing on a box, do you count the box? What if you measure yourself upstairs?
post #64 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post
I think you're right, shoe (nice to "see" you by the way), but that has always struck me as odd. If you're standing on a box, do you count the box? What if you measure yourself upstairs?

+1 on seeing shoe check in.

It always struck me as odd, also, b/c I always thought if you wanted to know your height you should measure yourself, not yourself plus your shoes, but my friend explained it to me once as his "functional height." He said since he only sees people when he's wearing shoes, it's functionally how tall he is and how tall other people view him. I told him that was just dumb, but he stood by it.
post #65 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
"functional height."



I suspect this theory originated from the female specie.
post #66 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustapha View Post
Now, a 5'8" Asian woman - that's a rarity. :>)

I'm 5'11"

My ex was 5'8" - she towered over most guys here in Korea. And thank god she had small size feet and hands.
post #67 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
+1 on seeing shoe check in.

It always struck me as odd, also, b/c I always thought if you wanted to know your height you should measure yourself, not yourself plus your shoes, but my friend explained it to me once as his "functional height." He said since he only sees people when he's wearing shoes, it's functionally how tall he is and how tall other people view him. I told him that was just dumb, but he stood by it.

I suppose this could make sense if your friend didn't know anyone else who wears shoes.
post #68 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustapha View Post
Now, a 5'8" Asian woman - that's a rarity. :>)

If you say so. Hardly a scientifically significant sample, but of the five Asian women who work for my firm, one is about six feet tall, one's probably 5'8" or 5'9", two are probably somewhere between 5'5" and 5'8", and one is probably 5'3" or so.
My sister-in-law, who is Vietnamese, is at least 5'8", perhaps a bit taller (her mother, on the other hand, is tiny.)
post #69 of 209
5'6" -ish. You can't believe how much it sucks. And to think, I was taller than everyone in elementary school, scaring little kids, being referred to as "the Giant".
post #70 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by samblau View Post
I am 5'11.7" thisclosetobeing 6'.....if I slick my hair back I break the 6' barrier though...does that count?

Yeah I used to feel like a failure because of this. Story of my life. But this year I am now 6'0.25" as of my last measurement and I'm pretty stoked about it.
post #71 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post
If you say so. Hardly a scientifically significant sample, but of the five Asian women who work for my firm, one is about six feet tall, one's probably 5'8" or 5'9", one is probably somewhere between 5'5" and 5'8", and one is probably 5'3" or so.
My sister-in-law, who is Vietnamese, is at least 5'8", perhaps a bit taller (her mother, on the other hand, is tiny.)

Thats impossible, only a myth. We all know asian girls can't grow taller than 5 feet, its a proven scientific fact.

I'm 6'1" and my asian gf is 5'6" so she is just above average I guess.
post #72 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecollector View Post
Yeah I used to feel like a failure because of this. Story of my life. But this year I am now 6'0.25" as of my last measurement and I'm pretty stoked about it.

Ha, it's funny. I'm a bit over six feet, maybe 6'1". I frequently have variations of the following conversation with women:

"How tall are you?"
"I'm not sure exactly, but about 6 feet for 6'1"."
"No, that can't be right. You're at least 6'3"
"No, really, I'm about 6'1" at most. I'm definitely not 6'3".
"You must be, because my [husband/boyfriend/whatever] is six feet tall, and you're much taller than him . . . "

From which I surmise there's a whole lotta "rounding up" going on out there.
post #73 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karo View Post
Thats impossible, only a myth. We all know asian girls can't grow taller than 5 feet, its a proven scientific fact.


Well, it could be because our employees are expected to shoes at the office.
post #74 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
"How tall are you?" "I'm not sure exactly, but about 6 feet for 6'1"." "No, that can't be right. You're at least 6'3" "No, really, I'm about 6'1" at most. I'm definitely not 6'3". "You must be, because my [husband/boyfriend/whatever] is six feet tall, and you're much taller than him . . . " From which I surmise there's a whole lotta "rounding up" going on out there.
Yes, I've experienced that variation on my anecdote as well. When the other fellow is present, it's somewhat humiliating for him
post #75 of 209
I'm 6'2". It's about perfect except when trying to buy long sleeves or sit up straight in cars.

My father is 5'8", my mother is 5'5", and my sister is 5'7".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › your height?