or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Bathroom
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bathroom

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I don't if this bothers anyone else, but... I hate it when after one finishes up in the bathroom, and you have to use your hands which you've just washed to open the door. You just know a signifigant portion of people don't wash their hands, and then use those hands to open the door. So, basically by touching the handle, you're touching their hand which wasn't washed. And, why are our toilets so unprogressive. Its the same design as our forefathers used a hundred years ago. You'd think there would have been some improvements since. It just seems so unevolved. I've seen those Japense models, and they seem to have taken theirs to the next level.
post #2 of 11
I try to use the back of my hand or my foot to do as much as possible in public bathrooms. I think all bathrooms should have a door that can be opened without touching it with a hand, all faucets should have levers not knobs, toilets should have kickable flush levers, and paper towel dispensers should not require touching anything but the towel. As for the toilets, I'll let my buddy Tokyo Slim weigh in on that issue when he sees the topic. He got a relatively expensive Toto toilet and explained all its benefits to me. I don't really see it, but maybe you'll appreciate it more than I did.
post #3 of 11
Public bathrooms are disgusting.  After you dry your hands, take an extra papertowel and open the door with that.
post #4 of 11
I always use my shoe to flush.
post #5 of 11
Quote:
And, why are our toilets so unprogressive. Its the same design as our forefathers used a hundred years ago. You'd think there would have been some improvements since. It just seems so unevolved. I've seen those Japense models, and they seem to have taken theirs to the next level.
Well... I'm pretty happy with my Japanese toilet (that J mentioned) It's a Toto UltraMax, I decided I wouldn't get the warming/deoderizing/remote controlled/self cleaning/bidet attachment yet -but I can always add it on later if I deem it neccesary. It DOES have one of the strongest non- pressurized flushes around, an ionized ceramic glaze on the bowl that prevents any foriegn particles from sticking to it (to make cleaning much easier, and more infrequent), and a quiet self closing lid. It cost ME about $330, but I got it at cost + tax. It's commonly retailing at about $550-$700 depending on your market. The "washlet" bidet add on that does all the fancy stuff is around $1300 or so. You can look Toto products at the Toto Toilets website
post #6 of 11
Public toilet facilities, and their floors do not mix with expensive shoes. I suppose restrooms in high end dept. stores are somewhat better but still it is a public facility. God knows the variety of people who have used such things. For numerous reasons.
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Public toilet facilities, and their floors do not mix with expensive shoes. I suppose restrooms in high end dept. stores are somewhat better but still it is a public facility.
I've always found higher-end hotels to have the best "public" facilities and unless the bathroom is attached to a conference centre, hardly ever used.
post #8 of 11
Here's a novel design that's definitely out of the main, uhh, "stream": For anyone who wants truly a comprehensive overview of this topic, there's always Urinal.net.
post #9 of 11
Great urinals. If I were still 25, I'd definitely get one. (I don't think my wife would approve, though). Here's my bathroom pet peeve--I work in a small office with seven people routinely using the same restroom. One of the women leaves water all over hell in there. There's water on the vanity, water on the floor, water on the light switch, and water on the door knob...it's driving me crazy...everything I touch, my hand comes away wet. Short of going in and leaving the lights off and then toweling everything dry before using, I'm short on ideas for coping...(Actually, toweling everything dry in the dark wouldn't work either, because the handle on the paper towel dispenser is also WET.)
post #10 of 11
Esquire, did you pick up a new toilet? Here's the Kohler Cimmaron I reccomended to you in my response to your PM. Kohler Cimmaron Or as I said, the Kohler Wellworth is also a good, moderately priced toilet in either round or elongated front models. Hope that helps.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Here's my bathroom pet peeve--I work in a small office with seven people routinely using the same restroom.  One of the women leaves water all over hell in there.  There's water on the vanity, water on the floor, water on the light switch, and water on the door knob...it's driving me crazy...everything I touch, my hand comes away wet.   Short of going in and leaving the lights off and then toweling everything dry before using, I'm short on ideas for coping...(Actually, toweling everything dry in the dark wouldn't work either, because the handle on the paper towel dispenser is also WET.)
I have never understood how people manage to do this. If it were me, I would anonymously put a sign up making fun of her for it, and even if it didn't stop, at least everyone else would snicker at her.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Bathroom