or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Who makes the best dress socks?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who makes the best dress socks?

post #1 of 65
Thread Starter 
Should one wear patterns? What about the pastel socks sold by RL and Thomas Pink?
post #2 of 65
Pantherella is likely to be a popular choice for 'best'. I like the American ("Hot Sox") made Ralph Lauren socks. Never tried the Thomas Pink.
post #3 of 65
Quote:
What about the pastel socks sold by RL and Thomas Pink?
Only if you want to look like John Travolta in Grease when he was wearing pink socks to match his pink shirt, which may or may not be a bad thing.
post #4 of 65
I was going to post this as a notice, but I figure I will include it in my reply. Pantherella is the best I have worn. Hands down the best weight and weave to them. I just picked up five pairs at the T.J. Maxx here in Boston at the Downtown Crossing store. The majority of which were the cashmere blend in simple a simple style and colors (i.e. black, blue, grey). Amazingly enough, all the Pantherella they have in stock are now in the clearance section. The cashmere blend are $9.00 marked down from $15 a pair. The breakdown of material is 78% wool, 15% nylon, and 7% cashmere. One pair which is a tighter weave and is not made of cashmere is 70% wool and 30% nylon and those models are $5.00. As of Monday they had roughly 20 or so pairs of the cashmere blend in black, grey, blue, tan, and a few other random designs, I think maybe it was an argyle. Great stocking stuffers for Christmas.
post #5 of 65
There maybe joys undiscovered for me, but I have never worn anythieng but cotton. I also do not wear anything higher than mid-calf. With that caveat, I can say that Pantherella, at least the cotton ones I purchased on Sierra, are nothing special, and Bresciani are slightly better but now that I have washed them I don't think much of them either. I am still looking for the perfect cotton dress sock and maybe Chuck will oblige, but as of now, I think there must be something better. I wonder about Dore Dore (because people have praised it and it is French and not expensive) but I have never owned any.
post #6 of 65
The best socks in my opinion: -- Dore Dore. Great over-the-calf socks. Both wool and cotton. Supremely comfortable and they don't fall down. -- Nordstroms. Yes, Nordstroms. They have some with blue tops (a thin strip of color) to signify cotton blends and others with maroon tops to signify wool blends (I may have that backwards). They are far less interesting color-wise than Dore Dore, but they are true workhorse socks. I have pairs that I wear weekly and have worn weekly for 3 or 4 years now, and they still have all their elasticity -- they don't fall down at all. Highly, highly recommended for those of you who wear dress clothes to work every day. -- Ralph Lauren. I have several pairs of RL socks and have been quite pleased with them. They are casual socks, but they seem well made and don't lose their elastic fit either. Some of my oldest socks are RL. -- Paul Stuart. Great colors and quality. By the way, I have far, far more over the calf socks than below calf socks because I can't stand socks that fall down, plus I don't like to "show leg" when my legs are crossed. It's sloppy IMO.
post #7 of 65
I will have to agree that Pantherella's are some of the best socks out there. That is all I wear, from wearing a suit to wearing a pair of jeans, they are always on my feet. They seem to hold their color extremely well, and much of that is because the socks are yarn dyed.
Quote:
Nordstroms. Yes, Nordstroms. They have some with blue tops (a thin strip of color) to signify cotton blends and others with maroon tops to signify wool blends (I may have that backwards).
Actually the strip of color on the Nordstrom socks is not to differentiate material, rather, it is to differentiate color. Navy socks (both cotton and wool) have a light blue strip on the top, black socks have a maroon strip, and brown have an off white strip (I think).
post #8 of 65
Quote:
I was going to post this as a notice, but I figure I will include it in my reply. Pantherella is the best I have worn.  Hands down the best weight and weave to them. I just picked up five pairs at the T.J. Maxx here in Boston at the Downtown Crossing store.  The majority of which were the cashmere blend in simple a simple style and colors (i.e. black, blue, grey).  Amazingly enough, all the Pantherella they have in stock are now in the clearance section.   The cashmere blend are $9.00 marked down from $15 a pair. The breakdown of material is 78% wool, 15% nylon, and 7% cashmere.  One pair which is a tighter weave and is not made of cashmere is 70% wool and 30% nylon and those models are $5.00. As of Monday they had roughly 20 or so pairs of the cashmere blend in black, grey, blue, tan, and a few other random designs, I think maybe it was an argyle.   Great stocking stuffers for Christmas.
here in idaho at tjmaxx all pantherella are marked down to $3. guess they have no clue out here so for once it works in my favor. however, my grudge with pantherella is that they don't come in sizes - most are too big for me.
post #9 of 65
I bought three pairs of Pantherellas at Marshalls on clearance and returned them all. I had cotton and two merino pairs. All were too big (I'm size 11), too thin and see-through. They were nice looking on the hanger, but once on, not so much. I'm willing to give them another chance, but I will say they are not consistently amazing. These were all made in England, btw.
post #10 of 65
Quote:
-- Paul Stuart.  Great colors and quality.
Yes. Great colours (and patterns). Great Quality. Abhorrent prices. Who makes the socks for Paul Stuart? I assume they are charging a near usurious mark-up for the product, based on the other, admittedly great, stuff in their store.
Quote:
but I have never worn anythieng but cotton
Mr. Bresch, you really ought to give wool socks a try. I find them far more comfortable and durable than cotton. And I am a big fan of over the calf hose as well. I can't stand when my socks fall down, even if I am in jeans.
post #11 of 65
Marks & Spencer.
post #12 of 65
Burlington. Black, dark grey and dark blu for suits. Argyle pattern for informal / sport. The price is high, though.
post #13 of 65
Burlington. Black, dark grey and dark blu for suits. Argyle pattern for informal / sport. The price is high, though. Never, never, never below calf.
post #14 of 65
I guess I am a barbarian: I just find the over-the-calf socks too fatiguing.
post #15 of 65
I agree with Kabert, Dore Dore for me is the finest readily available dress socks, in wool, cotton, and wool/cotton blends. brescd01, why do you find over the calf socks fatiguing? I always wear otc dress socks since there is little chance of them slipping down and then flashing skin.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Who makes the best dress socks?