or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › If I could get away with it, I'd wear...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If I could get away with it, I'd wear... - Page 5

post #61 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Wear the fez with a pinstriped double-breasted suit, and classic Persol sunglasses such as the ones Marcello Mastroianni wore in Fellini's "8 1/2."

It's Constantinople circa 1964. Quite chic.


I believe Ataturk outlawed the fez in the 20s. Then again, it wasn't Constantinople in the 60s, either, so do what you want.
post #62 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman
The full Steed.

John Steed is a good example of how one who knows the rules can break them with abandon and still look great. I wouldn't take it to his extreme in real life, but impeccable fit gives one quite a bit of leeway.
post #63 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt
A fedora or a bowler. When exactly did the hat-making lobby die? I've heard JFK was responsible.
A popular rumor, but untrue - contrary to popular belief, JFK did wear a hat to his inauguration. A good explanation with pics is here.
post #64 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
A popular rumor, but untrue - contrary to popular belief, JFK did wear a hat to his inauguration. A good explanation with pics is here.
It is still true that "I heard that JFK was responsible." It's just apparently not true that he was responsible.

Thanks for the link j.
post #65 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungFogey
I believe Ataturk outlawed the fez in the 20s. Then again, it wasn't Constantinople in the 60s, either, so do what you want.
Ah, but that's what reactionaries with Cold War Hiltons and Minox cameras memories do. They call cities by Constantinople, and countries by Siam.
post #66 of 78
kenneth cole shoes
post #67 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Ah, but that's what reactionaries with Cold War Hiltons and Minox cameras memories do. They call cities by Constantinople, and countries by Siam.

Constantinople's name is a whole different kettle of bloodied, rotten fish that I'd rather not expound on
post #68 of 78
Quote:
Yowza. Holy electric fairyland, Batman
More seriously, I don't know Javyn. It is rather bright, I would imagine it would suit darker complexions better.

I should have bought the leisure suit in that color at the resale shop when I saw it years ago. It was the right size and everything.
post #69 of 78
A black cashmere poncho
post #70 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Hats.

I agree. Would love to wear a nice hat.
post #71 of 78
I would want to wear a hat, but once I take it off, my hair just won't look right. A hat would be a good thing in the extreme heat. Soak a rag in some cool water, place along the inside of your hat that would be touching your forehead. That can stave off heat exhaustion all day for me,.
post #72 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn
I would want to wear a hat, but once I take it off, my hair just won't look right. A hat would be a good thing in the extreme heat. Soak a rag in some cool water, place along the inside of your hat that would be touching your forehead. That can stave off heat exhaustion all day for me,.
Does anyone carry a comb anymore? I guess that was how people coped with hat hair. A comb would do nothing for mine, though.
post #73 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn
I would want to wear a hat, but once I take it off, my hair just won't look right. A hat would be a good thing in the extreme heat. Soak a rag in some cool water, place along the inside of your hat that would be touching your forehead. That can stave off heat exhaustion all day for me,.

Yep, that works

I remember in bootcamp as it was in the middle of summer in high heat and humidity we would occassionally fill the inside of the helmet with water. Then wear it . Of course it was so hot outside that 10 minutes later you and your clothes were completely dry but it would help for a little bit.
post #74 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
Does anyone carry a comb anymore? I guess that was how people coped with hat hair. A comb would do nothing for mine, though.

A comb would be counterproductive for me, my hair is cut to be worn, well, messed up.
post #75 of 78
What? Guys, you have to give some of these things a shot -- fedoras, 3-pc suits, etc! These are eminently wearable. Now the canes, capes, and swords, now that's more like it, really out there attire... Regards, Huntsman
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › If I could get away with it, I'd wear...