or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Do I have to fly to Tokyo to get a decent suit/jacket/coat?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do I have to fly to Tokyo to get a decent suit/jacket/coat?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I'm on the small side and although I love the style and cut of Zegna and similar designers, I find it impossible to find anything in my size. I don't want to either go the route of bespoke/mtm or use the boys room, so I'm thinking of travelling to Tokyo, Seoul or Hong Kong to get a decently fit suit. Most Asians are close my size and I'm sure the designers stock appropriately sized garments in those outlets. Why they don't bring some of them over here is a mystery to me. Asians and other shorter statured guys make up a sizable proportion of customers in the major coastal cities where I live.
post #2 of 21
I'm sure you'd find something in Italy as well- italians aren't exactly giants themselves
post #3 of 21
I'm going to Hong Kong soon and hope to get MTM there of course but i heard its really great shopping too in the central area. Why don't you want a mtm suit? they probably cost $300 for a good one
post #4 of 21
OP-

Average Americans a) are too big and b) will get bigger within the lifetime of their clothes so c) they buy their clothes too big. Manufacturers make clothes for average Americans. This is why it seems there are no clothes for skinny people. If you want stuff that fits well, get it MTM or size down. If you're a genuine 36" chest or you're 5'2", you're SOL. MTM is your only answer.
post #5 of 21
fly to Barney's
post #6 of 21
Fly to to a land where they don't have StyleForum.
post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by letmebefell View Post
OP-

Average Americans a) are too big and b) will get bigger within the lifetime of their clothes so c) they buy their clothes too big. Manufacturers make clothes for average Americans. This is why it seems there are no clothes for skinny people. If you want stuff that fits well, get it MTM or size down. If you're a genuine 36" chest or you're 5'2", you're SOL.

I agree with your assessment.
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC View Post
Fly to to a land where they don't have StyleForum.
Do you know how the internet works?
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post
Do you know how the internet works?

SoCal2NYC is just a grumpy old man...
post #10 of 21
Hmm, I thought he's gay (read: cheery).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejobs View Post
SoCal2NYC is just a grumpy old man...
post #11 of 21
How true is this? Can people who live in Japan, Taiwan, or HK confirm?


Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejobs View Post
I'm on the small side and although I love the style and cut of Zegna and similar designers, I find it impossible to find anything in my size. I don't want to either go the route of bespoke/mtm or use the boys room, so I'm thinking of travelling to Tokyo, Seoul or Hong Kong to get a decently fit suit. Most Asians are close my size and I'm sure the designers stock appropriately sized garments in those outlets. Why they don't bring some of them over here is a mystery to me. Asians and other shorter statured guys make up a sizable proportion of customers in the major coastal cities where I live.
post #12 of 21
HK is sadly not the Mecca of 36S either, though there are certainly more than your average American city. I go to HK for the tailors and because Tassels sells Edward Green's consistently at less than full retail.

Tokyo is a better bet since 36 is more common and they will go down to 34. Seoul I've never been.
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho View Post
How true is this? Can people who live in Japan, Taiwan, or HK confirm?
I can't speak for the suits, but I know the T shirts and stuff are alot smaller in HK.
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho View Post
Hmm, I thought he's gay (read: cheery).

No, I think he's gay (read: does dudes)
post #15 of 21
Not to hijack the thread, but what's the cheapest airline fair for round trip from Cali to Hong Kong or Japan? Through whom?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Do I have to fly to Tokyo to get a decent suit/jacket/coat?